+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: well well well......another one bites the dust... *maybe*

Veteran Member Neal has a spectacular aura about Neal has a spectacular aura about

well well well......another one bites the dust... *maybe*

just starting to drive and i hear a very loud *BANG* and every light known to man starts blinking... loud rattling noise in time with the rpm's smell of gas coming from the engine bay... i pull over... pop the hood... 1,2,3 ... hmmm where is the 4th COIL!!!!!?!?!?!?!? infact where is the SPARK PLUG?!?!?!?!?!?!??! whole assembly blew out!... yup blew out...

got a new coil and plug, but the plug wont catch as i suspected... totally stripped?!?! not looking good... not sure what other damage is there either...

could be a simple re tap or use of a helicoil... or replace the head! and maybe more like maybe a bent rod? im expecting the worse...

Team TBA sponsored by Yokohama - "doWhatULove"
    Stock Skyline R32 :P
    96 VW Blue 4DR 1.8L Golf FOR SALE!
    12 VW Graphite Blue 4DR TDi Golf / 12 VW Black Execline Touareg
    www.facebook.com/TitoboyApproved "Like" us

Senior Member )GTI(Jeff)1.8T( is infamous around these parts )GTI(Jeff)1.8T( is infamous around these parts
    That fuckin' sucks...............
    H2sport
    \'02 GTI 1.8T
    Hardcoredubs.com

Veteran Member TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA's Avatar
    Is it from too much boost?
    I like STUFF

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboABA
    Is it from too much boost?
    Its because he drives a 1.8t.......

Keep it simple baby........ 2.0...... Oh Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah......

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    Talk about a shitty buzz kill man........Now you can tell the wife that you HAVE TO upgrade whatever broke
    12V

Quote Originally Posted by Kooz
    Talk about a shitty buzz kill man........Now you can tell the wife that you HAVE TO upgrade whatever broke
    werd...that's prolly the only upside to this story
    gone for good...

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    holy crap thats messed!!
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Veteran Member Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78's Avatar
    No more batmobile

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    oh oh...
    24v

Veteran Member wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg's Avatar
    any ideas what would of caused this?
    keep us posted.
    Strudel Boy

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footose
    buddy, next time turn your vtec controller down!!
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12V

Veteran Member Neal has a spectacular aura about Neal has a spectacular aura about
    buddy, next time turn your vtec controller down!!
    bwhahahahahah yeah ill do that next time and maybe just maybe you'll stand a chance LOL hehehehe...

well the head is out... just as i predicted clean as a baby's bottom...

gonna take it to a few shops maybe use a heli coil we'll see if not a think ive sourced out a used head that i can refurbish... by the way northvw did not have one?!?!?!?! damn with so many 1.8T's i figured this part would be a little easier to find......

anyways ill keep everyone updated... but as for cause? not sure... gotta vag it... might be pre det? hydro lock? whatever it was it must ahve been big to blow out the plug right out of the socket?!?!?!?

oh yeah found the original plug... very very far from the socket whole... damn i should have taken pictures... but i was so damn depressed to remember that doh

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    i've never heard of these motors going on normal turbo applications..

Senior Member IndigoBlue1.8t is on a distinguished road IndigoBlue1.8t's Avatar
    did you forget to tighten the plug when you replaced them?

Senior Member BikeBoy24 is on a distinguished road
    How the heck did this happen??? Plug wasn't torqued down properly?
    \'01 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
    Cool White
    HardcoreDUBS

http://members.rogers.com/kwong24/ken1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BikeBoy24
    How the heck did this happen??? Plug wasn't torqued down properly?

maybe but the plugs have been in for about 40K Km's i dont think it would ahve taken that long to "blow out" if they weren't torqued properly...

question is though... do i drop the gloves here and go nuts, port and polish new pistons blah blah blah blah.... and dump my idea of a RWD project?... or get this up and running and know that my RWD project will probably be delayed for 1/2 a year?!?!?

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    I say go all out and rebuild this motor!
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Veteran Member Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZEUS

Senior Member BikeBoy24 is on a distinguished road
    So what's the situation? Is the engine toast? Or did the plug just blow out?
    \'01 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
    Cool White
    HardcoreDUBS

http://members.rogers.com/kwong24/ken1.jpg

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I wouldn't port and polish, i mean, no one has proven that does dick shit for these 1.8T's, they flow pretty well.

If you did blow it, just get new rods and pistsons, and possibly valves. If the rod bent you'll probably have to bore it out, or sleve it.

Most guys with rods, pistons and valves consider the motor "built"... and can push like 500hp.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZEUS

update... well the re-tapped work and it looks like eveyrthing else in the motor was good...

cause? could be a mistake on my part when i last changed the sparkplugs 40K km's ago... it looks like i must have cross threaded it and it eventually just gave away... there are no significant codes that signalled anything else happened...

found out i need a new pump relay though... and looks like my starter motor is begining to go gotta love VW's....

great news man! Did you do it yourself? Pix?

for the past 2 weeks i can not find my damn charger for my camera so no pics...

but ill tell you this motul syn... after 140K Km's iopened her up and it was brand spanking new inside

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information