+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Here's one for all you VR6's with choppy or misfire @ lowRPM

Member Scracho is on a distinguished road Scracho's Avatar

Here's one for all you VR6's with choppy or misfire @ lowRPM

Okay I've been trying to resolve this consistant low RPM misfire and acceleration stutter for a couple of weeks now and I've finally figured it out. After new plugs, ignition wires, swapping coil packs; pretty much everything that everyone has suggested to change it ended up being a $1.99 fix... Dielectric grease! Because of the high heat characteristics of the VR6 it's not really conducive to electric conductivity between the ignition wire, the spark plug and coil pack. Most mechanics suggest applying this grease anytime you change any of the above mentioned items, but most mechanics neglect to do so (too time consuming ) I've also found cooler spark plugs for the VR that have helped decrease pre-ignition on high octane and detonation on low octane fuel setups.
    .:uber_xklusiv_krew:.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    i probably have as much dielectric grease in my cars as i do motor oil, every sing wiring connection that has a chance of get wet or weathered is disconnected, cleaned up and has dieelctric grease applied! for the price of the stuff and how easy it is to do this why wouldn't ya use it?!

Veteran Member /tripwalking/ is on a distinguished road /tripwalking/'s Avatar
    by "acceleration stutter" do you mean throttle lag when you're revving it from an idle? Or were you having problems when you get on the throttle after you're already moving?

Quote Originally Posted by dw's vw
    by "acceleration stutter" do you mean throttle lag when you're revving it from an idle? Or were you having problems when you get on the throttle after you're already moving?
    A combination of both... At a dead stand still in neutral if I rev the car it would stutter for a bit then smooth. The exhaust note would be really choppy then smooth. If I were in gear at low rpm's (in any gear) there would be great hesitation and misfiring until the load lessoned and rev's increased.

Senior Member VR6ix is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Scracho
    A combination of both... At a dead stand still in neutral if I rev the car it would stutter for a bit then smooth. The exhaust note would be really choppy then smooth. If I were in gear at low rpm's (in any gear) there would be great hesitation and misfiring until the load lessoned and rev's increased.
    My VR will do that when it's cold, but runs fine once the oil/water warms up.

DW you're talking about the DBW throttle lag that plauges MKIV's... it happens all the time, not just at idle, and I hate it... time for a chip!
    -- -(Got summers ... it\'s spring*)
    - -/
    - - - *Results may vary - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Veteran Member /tripwalking/ is on a distinguished road /tripwalking/'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Scracho
    My VR will do that when it's cold, but runs fine once the oil/water warms up.

DW you're talking about the DBW throttle lag that plauges MKIV's... it happens all the time, not just at idle, and I hate it... time for a chip!
    yeah, it's aweful. But I've played around with it a bit, and it only happens from idle- if you're in third at 70km/h, and you put in the clutch and rev it, it revs up right away- no lag. same if you're in neutral, and you ease it up to 3000 rpm, then give it another shot, it doesn't lag. I totally agree with you- it needs to be chipped. I can't get one right now though- I'm blaming it on my daughter

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    I had the same issues and after I cleaned my throttle body, it ran like a champ

Link:
    http://forums.generationdub.com/viewtopic.php?t=10197
    12V

Quote Originally Posted by Kooz
    I had the same issues and after I cleaned my throttle body, it ran like a champ

Link:
    http://forums.generationdub.com/viewtopic.php?t=10197
    I did that also using a toothbrush and some Throttlebody cleaner; it helped some issues but not my misfire.

But cleaning the throttlebody is a must!

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    I heard VR coilpacks are notorius for arcing. Soem guys have taken the coilpack and applied a layer of epoxy on top which is supposed to cure any arcing.
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Veteran Member trixx will become famous soon enough trixx will become famous soon enough trixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZEUS
    I heard VR coilpacks are notorius for arcing. Soem guys have taken the coilpack and applied a layer of epoxy on top which is supposed to cure any arcing.
    to clerify what DrZEUS said... there's a design problem with the vr6 coilpack, they crack over time and moisture gets in and causes arching and misfires... the "epoxy fix" is when u remove the coilpack and apply a layer of epoxy to the inside of the black cover to seal water out... it works almost all the time but its not a permanent fix.

using the dielectric grease is a great idea on the ignition contacts too.. it also help moisture from getting trapped
    trixx Oo===oO wheel whore extraordinaire

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information