+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slight rumbling (rattling) coming from exhaust

Junior Member Eloquence is on a distinguished road

Slight rumbling (rattling) coming from exhaust

Hey guys,
    I am not quite the owner of my the Jetta I put a down payment for on Sunday, but I remember while driving it that whenever I started off from 1st gear there would be a slight rumbling/rattling from the back left hand side of the vehicle. This is where the exhaust is located. I have a feeling it is to do with that though I am not sure. I am sure though that after 1st gear everything is fine. It's just in that gear after just moving from standstill it feels like a rumbling and a bit of a rattle.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a possible solution/fix suggestion?

Thanks,
    Marcus
    2002 Jetta 1.8T, \"Upsoluted\", Hyperboost DV. Soon: AEM CAI!

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I'm not sure if this is what's wrong with the car, but I had something similar happen to mine. Everytime I started off, or pushed in the gas (any gear, any speed), a metal scraping/tinkling noise would happen. It turned out that a bracket had broken off at mid-exhaust, and the noise was being made by the exhaust moving around anytime the engine was put under load. A few simple tack welds cured the problem.

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    If there is an aftermarket exhaust, it is likely that it is rubbing the cross member in the rear

Veteran Member /tripwalking/ is on a distinguished road /tripwalking/'s Avatar
    probably a vr6

It is a factory exhaust. I know that it is not aftermarket. Therefore, I think maybe a part of it is coming loose. I hope that's all it is. I don't have money for a new exhaust!!

Quote Originally Posted by dw's vw
    probably a vr6
    Actually it's a 1.8T
    -Marcus

haha, I was just joking- the vr is kind of famous around here for it's exhaust note I'd guess one of the rear hangers is cracked or broken, and at certain "harmonic" levels of the exhaust, it's causing the pipe to rattle more.

and are you sure you're "ubiquitous"?

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    probably a loose hanger or misaligned exhaust causing to rub on the rear axle.
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

moved to engine/drivetrain
    gone for good...

haha, ...
    Actually I am not... I changed my sig... the word sounded cool when my friend used it but I don't think I got the context it was in!

This new sig is more like me! Under 30 posts in almost 2 years? Now that's infrequent!
    -Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by Eloquence
    haha, ...
    Actually I am not... I changed my sig... the word sounded cool when my friend used it but I don't think I got the context it was in!

This new sig is more like me! Under 30 posts in almost 2 years? Now that's infrequent!
    -Marcus
    are you sure you're "infrequent"?

just joking

Now that's funny DW! Hahahahh You gonna be at the GTG tomorrow night in Mississauga at Timmy's?
    -Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by Eloquence
    Now that's funny DW! Hahahahh You gonna be at the GTG tomorrow night in Mississauga at Timmy's?
    -Marcus
    *whispers* crap, this guy wants to beat the pulp out of me...

no, I highly doubt it- family night is every night with a 6 month old, plus we just moved so we're still setting a lot of stuff up. I'll be around some time though.

New Member Cherioz is on a distinguished road
    My GTI does exact the same thing. Almost makes me think there is a crack somewhere. 1st time that happen i almost sh*t a brick thinking that was my turbo. Still trying to find the solution for it, because looking underneath didn't show any symptoms. Need 2 people to rev and look Cuz hanging upside down from the seat and pushing gas is just wierd

Junior Member dekker97 is on a distinguished road
    If you have the same problem as ive got, then what I believe is happening is under load, the engine torques forward, which makes the exhaust hit the floor-board. Thays all. Solution, have the back of the exhaust lowered an inch or 2
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ holy grave digging!

If your engine is moving enough that it makes the exhaust hit the floor, you need to replace your engine mounts, not lower the exhaust...
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Junior Member dekker97 is on a distinguished road
    I had midas make up my exhaust and they fucked up putting the hangers on the bttom of the pipe instead of on top. Thats why I had the problen
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information