+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what coolant should i use?

Veteran Member Mannn is on a distinguished road

what coolant should i use?

just like most of you.. my coolant "vapourized"...
    it's below the "MIN" level when the car is cold... and above "MIN" after the car is driven...

i know this shouldn't cause any problems.. but I would like to top it a bit more...

just wondering what coolant should i use?? thanks..

Veteran Member 16vdub is on a distinguished road 16vdub's Avatar

coolant

Technically ure not supposed to mix coolant<-heard it from my mechanic
    supposedly not all of them work the same and the chemicals and ingredients vary....can lead to nasty things...brown coolant for example<-my mechanic
    its best to remember what u used originaly or use what vw recomends!!

Veteran Member Mannn is on a distinguished road
    anyone?

Veteran Member 16vdub is on a distinguished road 16vdub's Avatar

best advice

trust me the man is german....he likes my car more than i do...sortta like the mechanic on seinfeld if u remember! ....though he might be a bit overboard

Veteran Member Chet Acer is infamous around these parts Chet Acer is infamous around these parts
    Why not just call a VW service department? They're bound to have it in stock. Unless you are doing a coolant flush, try to stay with the same that you started with.

Are VR6's known to lose their coolant?

Member ingrahamm is on a distinguished road
    stick with the VW OEM coolant. manyother coolants are not compatible, and unless you want to spend time in the auto parts store with the clerk asking which other brands are VAG approved...just go to a VW or Audi dealer and get it. I bought some shortly after I got my Jetta in May of 01, a gallon, and just be sure to seal it tightly between uses (me, I used it once to top off in like Sept. of 01, and never since).

matt

Veteran Member Sawdust is on a distinguished road
    Don't forget coolent is mixed with water and can even be mixed up to 50/50, in some case. so if you are only down a very small amount you can just add a small amount of water to it.

But you are best to call vw and and ask what they have to say.
    Sawdust

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    coolant...

man that brings back my old mk2 days. I blew my headgasket and my anti-freeze would leak into my 4th cylinder, so everytime i would start the car i would get a nice "smoke bomb" effect

ya...i forgot one time that ur supposed to dilute it with water...what a waste of money....cause i would go through a bottle of anti-freeze a week...then when it was warmer, i would just use water

then i finally got the head gasket fixed

there is my little story
    24v

Veteran Member Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute Bob Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust
    Don't forget coolent is mixed with water and can even be mixed up to 50/50, in some case. so if you are only down a very small amount you can just add a small amount of water to it.

Only add straight water (tap water in particular) in an emergency. Always use deionized or distilled water mixed with VW coolant 50/50.

VW use two different coolants, the older G11 "green" coolant found in cars upto the mid/late nineties, and the newer G12 "pink" coolant used ever since. They both cost around $20+ at the dealership for a jug.

Never mix different coolants, they will react in unpleasant and costly ways.

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    This is some good info. Ok, now if someone wanted to flush out their coolant and add new stuff, how would you do this? What do you need and should you be worried about some of the old coolant remaining in the lines? Won't that mix if not completely flushed?
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Member Skydigger is on a distinguished road
    Just fill it up with water and hope you don't forget about it come the winter.

Veteran Member Sawdust is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydigger
    Just fill it up with water and hope you don't forget about it come the winter.
    lol well you will remember with the first freeze,
    Sawdust

Member richyrich212t is on a distinguished road
    just make sure IF its the pink stuff that came out, then put the Pink stuff back in. The safest bet would be OEM, I payed $14 at the dealer and mixed it 50/50 with no problems!!!
    00 golf 1.8t

Veteran Member TurboJetta1.8T is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust

Only add straight water (tap water in particular) in an emergency. Always use deionized or distilled water mixed with VW coolant 50/50.

VW use two different coolants, the older G11 "green" coolant found in cars upto the mid/late nineties, and the newer G12 "pink" coolant used ever since. They both cost around $20+ at the dealership for a jug.

Never mix different coolants, they will react in unpleasant and costly ways.
    That's exactly what I do as well.

New Member Lil97GTI is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, I've heard just stick to the pink in my car since that's what it had in it when I bought it. I'm not to familiar with all that, but I'd suggest sticking to the same color also. My $.02

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information