+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MK3 hatch swap... updated: swap done and done

Veteran Member trixx will become famous soon enough trixx will become famous soon enough trixx's Avatar

MK3 hatch swap... updated: swap done and done

I just picked up a new hatch for my GTI... virtually mint compared to my current hatch which is rusting in several different places... my GTI is a 96 the hatch is from a newer model year prolly 98-99.. i know this becaus emy 3rd brake light is on the spoiler and the new hatch has the 3rd brake light on the inside-top-centre of the glass...
    anyways all the wiring harnesses are intact on the new hatch...
    has anyone swaped hatches on an MK3 before?
    Do i need to remove any interior peices to attach the harnesses?
    just looking for any info that could help... it looks pretty simple...

and BTW the new hatch colour of course matches my current tornado red hatch perfectly
    trixx Oo===oO wheel whore extraordinaire

Veteran Member /tripwalking/ is on a distinguished road /tripwalking/'s Avatar
    where did you pick that up?

Veteran Member trixx will become famous soon enough trixx will become famous soon enough trixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dw's vw
    where did you pick that up?
    at The Source in toronto
    250 for the complete hatch minus the wiper motor/assembly which will be donated from my old hatch...

http://www.yellowpages.ca/searchCust...y&city=toronto

Senior Member mrkil is on a distinguished road
    yeah i've always liked dealing with those guys.
    they always have what i need, and at a good price

Well I finished the hatch swap... is was very easy... main tip.. make sure u tape the connectors up and run a line to fish all the wiring with..
    in all it took me about 3 hours.. that includes removing the OEM spoiler off the new hatch, cleaning all the stupid black goop used to seal the spoiler to the glass, transplanting the wiper motor and wiper from the old hatch to the new... fishing the cables, transplanting the hatches and testing...
    Thanks to my buddy Francis for the hand moving the old and new hatches around...
    and the pics

new hatch.. wiper already transplanted

hatchless..

new hatch.. spoiler deleted (mmmmmmm, euro)

now all i gotta figure out is how to plug up the 3 little holes and make it look clean...

notice the behind glass 3rd brake light?.. my old one was on the outside on the spoiler,, so removing the spoiler would have left me with only 2 brake lights...

Veteran Member VRSound is on a distinguished road
    very nice trixx......u putting the spoiler back on or u gona leave it cause IMO it prob looks better this way

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    nice work...did you transplant the keylock as well?
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

nicely done..............but I personally like the no rear hatch look
    gone for good...

Quote Originally Posted by dragan710
    very nice trixx......u putting the spoiler back on or u gona leave it cause IMO it prob looks better this way
    i think I'm gonna go without the spoiler for now... I like the clean look too..
    mind u, if the spoiler goes back on it will be colour matched tornado red

Quote Originally Posted by DrZEUS
    nice work...did you transplant the keylock as well?
    I didn't bother moving the keylock since my keys didn't seem to work with my original lock anyways.. the new hatch lock works better then my old one too...

Senior Member scradley is on a distinguished road scradley's Avatar
    hey sorry to bring this from the dead but i was wondering the steps involved in removing the rear OEM spoiler as i am going to do this on my golf

thanks

Brad

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I think you just take it off, and fill in the holes in the window with ubber grommets, but youll have to ask trixx

Veteran Member ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW's Avatar
    I want to take mine off too.

Quote Originally Posted by footose
    I think you just take it off, and fill in the holes in the window with ubber grommets, but youll have to ask trixx
    zactly what harry said...

3 bolts behind the glass, remove spoiler, think of a creative way to cover the 3 little screw holes.
    If u have the hatch with the 3rd brake light in the spoiler, u'll have a 4th hole that's pretty hard to cover up

Senior Member scradley is on a distinguished road scradley's Avatar
    i was reading on the vortex that you can use black caulking for the holes? do any of you think this would work at all?

Member Dirtydog is on a distinguished road
    Yeah that will work, fill it and then carefully pass a razor blade over the holes to trim any excess. I swapped a couple MK3 hatches out. The real problem is the license plate bucket design and the glass seal at the corners. The license plate bucket is plastic and it rubs on the hatch stripping the paint and causing rust, eventually it rots out and sometimes it's hard to see all the damage since it's concealed. MK3 hatch is one of the worst designed VW parts I've ever dealt with. The glass seal, I dunno, nearly any MK3 golf you see has rust at the corners. Reminds me of the front windshield rust in the corners of MK2's.
    2001 GTI 1.8T

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information