+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine makes short hissing noise when I tap throttle

Veteran Member /tripwalking/ is on a distinguished road /tripwalking/'s Avatar

engine makes short hissing noise when I tap throttle

at idle, or at speed, when I tap the throttle I can hear a "cht" (say "chart" without the "ar") coming from the engine. It sounds like it's sucking air in, except it doesn't rev until after the fft stops. I can tap the gas faster than it will respond, which I don't like at all- sometimes it's really annoying.

Would a chip cure this? Any ideas on where the 'cht' is coming from? Something I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
    dw

by "fft" I meant "cht".... get it?

Senior Member some_guy65 has a spectacular aura about some_guy65 has a spectacular aura about some_guy65 has a spectacular aura about
    Did you check for a Gremlin?
    1994 GTI 2.0L - SOLD
    2000 Jetta TDI - SOLD
    2002 Passat 1.8T - Bone Stock

Veteran Member SR20DET is on a distinguished road SR20DET's Avatar
    Do you have an aftermarket intake?
    Dave

2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2011 Kia Sorento AWD

Do you have an aftermarket intake?
    sort of... there's a k&n cone filter in place of the air box, and I made a tube out of 2-1/4" SS exhaust tubing that goes from just behind the driver side lower grill opening, up and along the inside of the fender, pointing at the filter. (mkIV vr6 jetta). I haven't made a sheet metal cone to surround the filter yet, but it's in the plan. So to answer your question, I don't have an a/m intake, but it's not stock.
    Do you think the k&n is sucking in too much air compared to fuel? Or would the sensor adjust the a/f accordingly?

thanks

Veteran Member SR20DET is on a distinguished road SR20DET's Avatar
    Intakes usually make a quick sucking noise like you described when you tap the throttle, so I think that's what you're hearing.
    Dave

2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2011 Kia Sorento AWD

Veteran Member ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SR20DET
    Intakes usually make a quick sucking noise like you described when you tap the throttle, so I think that's what you're hearing.
    i was wondering what that noise was that i had under my hood. i thought it might be the intake. good to know for sure now.

funny thing is, it almost sounds like a turbo.

Senior Member OettingerVR6 is on a distinguished road OettingerVR6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIPN VW
    i was wondering what that noise was that i had under my hood. i thought it might be the intake. good to know for sure now.

my turbo has no hissing noises. lol~
    Acura RSX Type S

Senior Member some_guy65 has a spectacular aura about some_guy65 has a spectacular aura about some_guy65 has a spectacular aura about
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIPN VW

Yep.

With my dad's civic, we clamped it down the day we installed it. Otherwise besides the 'cht' noise you heard, we would have heard a a nice *ting* noise as the intake pipe would lift under hard throttling. Its been a long time since I have seen an intake on a VW, so I don't remember if it had long or short piping. I thought it was short for MKIII's at least.

But the first thing you should check for is a Gremlin, I tell you...A Gremlin! They hop on in when its nice warm under your hood and the next thing you know they are hissing and scratching when they get caught in the timing belt. Lousy Gremlins.. *shakes fist*
    1994 GTI 2.0L - SOLD
    2000 Jetta TDI - SOLD
    2002 Passat 1.8T - Bone Stock

hopefully it's the landlord's dog...

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    When I had my IMtake IMstalled last summer, the sound was super loud! Another way to check it is have someone tap the throttle when you are looking under the hood. Seeing since you are drive by wire, you can't rev it yourself while under there.

Note: Make sure that the person revving the car knows enough to take it out of gear first
    12V

Note: Make sure that the person revving the car knows enough to take it out of gear first
    beauty clarke. anyone want to tap my throttle?

Veteran Member dreamstate is just really nice dreamstate is just really nice dreamstate is just really nice dreamstate is just really nice dreamstate is just really nice
    Quote Originally Posted by dw's vw
    beauty clarke. anyone want to tap my throttle?
    That sounds wrong in so many ways.

Veteran Member ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW's Avatar
    bwahahahahahahah lol

hahahaha, it was a perfect opportunity!

so... who's it gonna be?

tap tap tappie
    cht cht cht

Veteran Member trixx will become famous soon enough trixx will become famous soon enough trixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooz
    When I had my IMtake IMstalled last summer, the sound was super loud! Another way to check it is have someone tap the throttle when you are looking under the hood. Seeing since you are drive by wire, you can't rev it yourself while under there.

haha
    trixx Oo===oO wheel whore extraordinaire

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information