+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audi may be tapped to build Kubang SUV for Maserati

Audi may be tapped to build Kubang SUV for Maserati

Audi may be tapped to build Kubang SUV for Maserati

By LUCA CIFERRI | Automotive News Europe

TURIN -- Audi may build Maserati's new Kubang sport-utility in Germany.

Maserati senior officials confirmed to Automotive News Europe that the Italian company is currently evaluating whether to base the production of the Kubang on Audi's A8 aluminum structure.

Audi would build the Kubang at its aluminum and lightweight construction center in Neckarsulm, Germany.

The Kubang, which was unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show, is a radical development for Maserati, best known for its sporting coupes and GT cars.

The Kubang is named after a Javan wind (taking Maserati back to its tradition of naming cars after trade winds).

In early September, Audi and Maserati signed an agreement to cooperate on technical, distribution and financial service matters.

Maserati knew it would have to subcontract its production of the Kubang. Its refurbished plant in Modena, Italy, is at full capacity with the current product range; the Spyder, the Coupe and the new Quattroporte sports sedan.

The Modena plant has a total capacity of about 10,000 units a year, the same volume the Kubang is expected to generate.

Audi would take over the complete aluminum vehicle manufacturing, receiving various components from Italy including Maserati's 4.2-liter V-8 engine.

Maserati will decide by the end of the year if the Kubang will be built. The 5-door vehicle, which Maserati calls a GT wagon, has a length of 5-meters and four wheel drive.

Maserati said the Kubang could go into production within 30 months of its approval.

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    Sounds cool, but why are all the manufacturers trying to build new SUVs in a market that is already flooded with the damn things ?
    12V

Veteran Member Dubheaded is on a distinguished road
    So it will be even more flooded, and the people with one will buy a new one.
    Play Underground.

Member djtrip is on a distinguished road
    I really don't like SUV's and I hate their drivers even more. I agree with you Kooz, this segment of the market is already way to flooded.
    2003 Platinum Grey Jetta 1.8T

Veteran Member Chet Acer is infamous around these parts Chet Acer is infamous around these parts
    From the side, it looks like an oversized 928.

Pretty wicked looking.

Member Hdmc is on a distinguished road
    How fast do these Soccer moms want to go?? Isn't the Porsche Cayenne Turbo fast enough, haha! I'd be funny to see one of these mommies going ape $hit on her kids in one of these at the local A&P!!!

Veteran Member Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooz
    Sounds cool, but why are all the manufacturers trying to build new SUVs in a market that is already flooded with the damn things ?
    There are alwasy more idiots that will buy new modle SUV's
    Nick | 2001 Golf 1.8T | www.mygolfiv.com | www.gtan.ca | HID Kits | Mechanic Gloves | Need Hosting ? $6/Month IM Me |

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information