+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FMIC for my 1.8T

Member eh is on a distinguished road

FMIC for my 1.8T

I know the topic sounds a little whoretexy, but I'm just looking for opinions from some local dubbers.

I have 2002 VW GTI 1.8T with a turbo upgrade and I seriously need to get rid of the stock SMIC by next spring. It seems like there are a ton of options out there. APR, ATP, Evolution Motorsports, Greddy, ABD just to name a few brands. A custom setup is always an option too.

I personally have been looking at the APR FMIC kit or just buying a "generic" core and paying a shop to do the piping. Both of those are pretty expensive. You pay up front in parts with APR, but you end up paying in labour if you go with a "generic" FMIC.

Does anyone have experience with any of the above? Cost? Quality? HP/TQ numbers? Fitment issues?

Thanks!
    Rob
    Apparently I\'m not an enthusiast. I drive a Mk4.

Senior Member IndigoBlue1.8t is on a distinguished road IndigoBlue1.8t's Avatar
    Eurojet Racing is coming out with a FMIC fairly soon. IM eurojet for more info

Veteran Member TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA's Avatar
    I've got mine built to my specs. It cost me around $850 cad for the core + end tanks.

It works great. The piping, I did all myself, ghetto style, using copper plubing pipe!

There's no point in giving you output numbers as we are comparing two different motors.

I had to modify my bumper severely in order to fit it, but it turned out good.
    I like STUFF

Veteran Member TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA's Avatar
    Here's a pic of it in front of my 21" monitor for size comparison.

The core measures 3.5"thick X 18"long X 7"high
    It flows 720cfm and is good for 500hp.

Here's just the core itself.

And here's what kind of room I had and the modification I had to make!

SO I say go custom unless you can find something used that is cheap and is good enough for the kind of power that you want to make!
    I like STUFF

Veteran Member BigBore is on a distinguished road
    I have a friend that has a blue 20th ann. He`s got a ABD intercooler, and it fits with no visible mods to the exterior of the car, and his mechanic actually got the thing to fit without cutting anything formt eh inside too, although ABD says that you have to.

I have another friend that just put a 1.8T into an Mk3, all he has done is a FMIC and he put down 178whp. I dunno if those numbers are generous but thats what he dynoed at.

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    yah speak to eurojet...when his kit is ready the intro price i would assume will be good...or at least im sure there will be a GB because there are many peeps I know who would be interested.

Also, he is local (Newmarket) so you could save on shipping. I'll get him to chime in here.
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information