+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1998 jetta TDI No Crank

1998 jetta TDI No Crank

Hey guys and gals, I have a 1998 jetta tdi that I'm having trouble getting started. Parked it in November when the snow dropped up here in Canada, Alberta. Tried to fire it up last week and I got nothing. No crank, only a click I could hear after a few seconds of holding the key. Sometimes i would hear like a fizz from the engine bay. Got a brand new battery, fuel filter, and replaced the glow plugs shortly before parking it. I have left the oil pan heater plugged in for awhile to heat up the block but still nothing. I took the starter out thinking it was the issue but when I brought external power to it the solenoid and starter motor both worked. But I threw it back in and nothing, even ran a wire from the power cable to the starter motor plug pins and still nothing. At this point I'm at a loss, been an amazing car up until now. Anyone have suggestions, I'm new to the forums.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Have you charged the battery? Typically a clicking like that is because the battery is too dead to supply enough current to spin the starter.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information