+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wet heated seat relay

Wet heated seat relay

First post here. I have a 1992 vw cabriolet Wb. There is a known problem with electrical system. Airbag unhooked at some point and light comes on. Also at times oil light blinks even when full, and temp light flashes. Cooling system working properly and car goes well.(little oil burn as to be expected) recently left windows down and got a hefty soaking. Now windows not going up, and all lights flashing on dash and clicking from what sounds like multiple locations. I pulled up the carpet on drivers side which was considerably more wet, and found what I think is the heated seats relay. Unplugged the relay from the harness, and hooked the battery back up. Blinking and clicking resumed. I thought by removing it(if it was indeed the problem) the problem would go away. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Unfortunately I need to try and solve this by myself and I'm a hack mechanic.

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    Sounds like theres a short somewhere else. You check the fusebox?
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Curious how the rain caused the short and how it's affecting the power windows. On the passenger side there is a large relay that controls the power windows(I believe). I pulled it out but the flashing clicking is still there. Also, I'm assuming I need to check all the fuses?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Check the back of the relay/fuse block, it could be corroded making bad (or no) connections.

My MKII GTI had the oil buzzer go off from time to time, turned out it was the relay/fuse block. Only figured it out because other unrelated items starting acting flaky as well (wipers, HVAC blower motor, etc).
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Thanks! I've noticed water dripping on my feet when it rains so assuming that's the exact location it passes through. The whole panel is bolted on there correct? Any idea what the fix would be if that is in fact the issue?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    The fix would be to replace the whole block. If you're noticing water in there, you'll want to fix that before replacing the block though or the same thing will happen again.

Usually the leak is from clogged drains in the rain tray, but it could be anywhere.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Ok great. Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information