+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.8t - unplugged MAF, runs exactly the same

Member dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7's Avatar

1.8t - unplugged MAF, runs exactly the same

Hey guys,

I have searched the forums and google boxed this one and haven't found a answer to my questions. My 1.8t (2002 AWP ) runs pretty well, but doesn't seem 100%. I have done boost leak tests and replaced all my small vac lines. Replaced many of my sensors, including MAF, CTS, primary 02 and crank sensor - all in the last year or 2, and all with BOSCH parts.

I have some fluctuating rpms (or stutter) at idle that drops about 200rpm at worst, and usually when i stop at a red light after coming off the hwy... definitely more noticeable than in the driveway when i first start her up and leave it to idle for 5 minutes or so.
    The other thing that feels off is that that i can boost to and hold steady at 15psi (APR stg1) in 4th, 5th and 6th gear on the hwy - it just doesn't feel like im boosting 15. The car intermittently runs really well, where it just feel stronger, and I don't know whats different.

If she was going into LIMP mode, I'd assume i wouldnt be seeing 15psi, that it would be limited to 5psi or id at least see it cutting at some point.

I was assuming since I haven't found any vac leaks - that the MAF might have been shitty out of the box, or that my original n75(F) may be dying? The only other sensor left to be changed is the MAP.

I've unplugged the MAF a few times and the car doesn't RUN WORSE, it runs exactly he same. That said, if i d/c my battery for a couple hours and reconnect, it does run a little stronger/smoother for about 20 minutes before the engine "weakens".

ANY THOUGHTS?

Thanks to everyone as always for your input.
    vroom vroom, clank.........crap!

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    You check the coil packs?
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Member dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7's Avatar
    yeah. they were replaced under the recall 2 years ago.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Any codes stored? Typically if unplugging the MAF doesn't change anything you have a bad MAF (or possibly a wiring issue in the MAF harness).
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

only codes i had last time i scanned were:

random cylinder misfire (intermittent)
    cyl 1 misfire (intermittent)
    cyl 2 misfire (intermittent)
    cyl 4 misfire (intermittent)
    **I assumed these were due to my bad vcg that was leaking oil into the coil pack and spark plugs on those very same cylinders. since replaced the vcg, cleaned coils and replaced plugs (.28 - apr stg1)

and one for my secondary o2 sensor, but that wont affect any performance.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Are the codes still there after replacing the gasket? Were they reset?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

to be reset, do they have to be done with a VAGCOM? I unplugged my battery overnight after doing the work.

I'm pretty sure you have to clear them, unplugging the battery doesn't do it.
    flickr

alright. so then with that said, I ask the following.

Let's say you have a bad sensor, such as the MAF, that you've been driving on for a while and the car has adapted to; which i believe leads to the ECU taking its data from the MAP and O2 (IIRC)
    If I swap in a known good sensor from a friend, will I notice the improvement immediately as soon as I take it around the block? Or would I have to drive on the good sensor for a while for the ECU to adapt?

I'd like to try someones MAF and n75 quickly before going out and buying either.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information