+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 02m notchy/sloppy shifting!!

Member dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7's Avatar

02m notchy/sloppy shifting!!

Hey Guys,

My 6sp 02m shifts are really notchy. I had the 1-2 gear shift fork replaced a year ago and nothing has changed since before that job. I have also replaced the cup/socket in the shift box that the shift lever sits in. I also did a tranny fluid flush with OEM fluid a year ago when the shift fork job was done.

Symptoms are:
    -Hard to get into first gear (dead stop and when rolling)
    -Hard shift 1-2
    -Every gear/gate is notchy when shifting up (95% of the time)
    -Randomly shifts feel really smooth from 2nd all the way up to 6th (5% of the time)
    -Shifts are always worse when cold

Can anyone recommend what bushings are the most useful/effective to replace inside the engine to fix the above problems?

Options:
    -shifter end link bushings
    -shifter cables (altogether replace my OEM ones?)
    -shifter bracket bushings
    -shift tower bearing
    -shift tower bushing

Thanks!:cheers:
    vroom vroom, clank.........crap!

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    If you shut off the engine is it still really hard to get into first? It could be that your clutch isn't fully releasing.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Member dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7 is just really nice dub_0_7's Avatar
    wparsons: No, when the engine is off, the gears shift pretty smoothly.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    It's your clutch then, or something in the clutch system. Something is causing it to not release fully.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

eeeeeeek! any suggestions what to check without have the tranny shop take the thing apart?

When i had my clutch done a year back they: changed clutch and throw out bearing with LUK OE(left original DMF), swapped fluid with dealer OE FLUID and replaced the 1/2 gear shift fork -- for what that information is worth.

Thanks!

Check the fluid level, and also look for signs of leakage around the master or slave cylinders.
    flickr

the fluid level is good. just topped it up and refreshed it when i had my brakes done a month back.
    if this says anything -- when im driving i can get smooth shifts into the gates sometimes by simply moving the shift lever a little more or little less laterally before pushing up or pulling down into the gate. ie: neutral -> 1st, 2nd -> 3rd.

I would bet those smooth shifts have more to do with the revs being matched more than alignment in the shift gate.
    flickr

okay... how well your engine is holding boost weighs in on that big time too right? rpms drop off faster in between shifts when the engine isnt running well/holding boost properly?

How much boost it's building won't change this at all. If I'm right, the issue is that even with the clutch pedal all the way in, it's still spinning the input shaft a bit and making it much harder to get into gear.

If you're sitting stopped with the engine running and clutch in and the car in gear and then shift to neutral does the RPM change at all?
    flickr

i gave that a try...no change in rpms.

does changing the shift cable end bushings make a big difference on a 12 year old car?

It might, but you already said it shifts great with the engine off. I would suspect that if it was in the linkage for the shifter you would find it sucked all the time.
    flickr

grrrr..

Do you know if anyone is still going to the GTG on mondays in cambridge? You posted in that yesterday i think. Know if any of them are still going on? Maybe I'm just crazy. Would love to have someone take my car for a quick rip and let me know how it feels to them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information