+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MAF Help...Mass Air Flow ....Tried Everything

New Member Gonzll is on a distinguished road

MAF Help...Mass Air Flow ....Tried Everything

Hi all. I recently bought a 2001 Beetle 2.0. I popped a few codes i dont remember, but they were MAF related. I installed a new MAF and all codes went away, but a new one appeared, the dreaded P0103 that was not there before. No matter what i do, it wont go away and i cant pass inspection. here is what ive done.

replaced connector housing
    replaced sensor
    checked all hoses...no visible or audible leaks.
    read voltage and resistance ...heres the results..

PIN 2 to ground w/ MAF disconnected...12 VDC
    PIN 3 to ground w/ MAF disconnected...12 VDC
    PIN 4 to ground w/ MAF disconnected...5 VDC
    PIN 5 to ground W/ MAF CONNECTED... 12VDC NO FLUCTUATION

I am lead to understand that the voltage should be fluctuating on PIN 5 as i increase RPMs...it didnt...It just read a constant 12VDC...does this mean Im that lucky guy that bought a crap sensor? It is a Bosch OEM by the way.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    I would try returning the MAF, if it threw a code and tests bad right out of the box it should be exchanged.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

I installed a new MAF...it cleared the P0103 for a few minutes. I went on an hour drive to reset the monitors and when i code checked, the P0103 was back. Ive read in quite a few posts that this is a "learning code" ie...the sensor and ECM are adjusting to the airflow and the 103 will self clear in a day or 2. any truth to this? if so, how long and what to do if it doesnt clear. the only thing left to change is the ECM.
    Last edited by Gonzll; 05-11-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: code cleared..then came back

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Do you have any way to log the values the MAF is seeing? You should be able to do a sanity check on by comparing engine load (or even MAF voltage) to how you're driving, finding known good values should be easy enough online.

If you really are getting 12v constant to the ECM on the signal wire, I would look for a short in the MAF circuit. It could be anywhere in the wiring between the sensor and the ECM.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

All the known good values are on point EXCEPT that 12V constant on pin5. That should be increasing and decreasing with idle speed and it does not. my confusion is this...wouldnt a short read ZERO? or at the very least, have fried the wire or a component or blown a fuse? if it was short to ground, something would have fried. so how is the voltage constant? let me know what you think.

will check for shorts and report back.

Veteran Member bastard is a glorious beacon of light bastard is a glorious beacon of light bastard is a glorious beacon of light bastard is a glorious beacon of light bastard is a glorious beacon of light bastard is a glorious beacon of light
    The MAF is no good. Stop dinking around with it.

replaced MAF 2 times just to be sure. Its not that. still cant figure it out.

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Could be the harness that's bad.
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information