+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2L 8v build up.

Junior Member dekker97 is on a distinguished road

2L 8v build up.

I know, I know. Why build up a 2.slow 8v? Why not swap it instead? The answer is for that reason exactly. Everyone swaps out. And I wanna stand out.

So hears the plan, I'm going to be rebuilding a 2L block with forged internals, upgraded valve springs, 268/260 cam, 42# Bosch injectors, ARP studs, head spacer, adjustable cam sprocket, Garrett turbo .42 a/r, stage 2 ecu upgrade, intercooler&piping, exhaust and dp.

My questions are these;
    Is there a certain 2L block I should be looking for? My current one is the only 2.0 mkiii block I've see with a secondary air pump...should I use that block an keep the pump? Or would it perform better without it?

Next question is for fuel management, what do you reccommend? Adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Fuel rail?

And does anyone reccommend any shops local to Hamilton/Toronto area that will have a good price on a build? I may do the disassembly myself.
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    No offense, but it sounds like you're in a bit over your head at this point... if you're doing a first turbo build, I'd suggest you start with a reputable kit instead of trying to piece together something yourself.

What year car is it going in? The early (OBDI) 2L engines are stronger and have oil squirters, but if you're building it this might not be a concern for you.

Why the head spacer if you're building the engine? Further dropping the compression ratio will just make it slower to spool and less powerful off boost.

How much power do you want to make? What other head work are you doing to let the head breathe enough to get to the power levels you want?

What turbo exactly, .42 a/r doesn't mean anything without knowing what compressor and turbine wheels.

The "stage 2" ecu upgrade will likely be a waste, you'll want something that gives you proper control over fuel/spark/boost. You might need an adjustable FPR, but probably not if you get the right size injectors and run proper engine management software. You might have to run a standalone, I'm not sure what other options there are for a MKIII 8v ECU to give full tuning control.

I'd also pass on the adjustable cam gear, unless you're going to spend the time/money tuning it on a dyno.

Don't forget about clutch, transmission, axles and brakes as well.

What's your budget for this? Based on what you've said so far, I'd figure you'll need at least $8k-$10k by the time it's running properly. I know you said you want to be different, but you could a chipped 1.8T swap installed for far less money with better reliability.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Ill be honest, I have no idea what I should be looking at and not looking at. I basically figured that everything people say add to performance, why not do it all? That's why I posted it here, to get some opinions and advice.

The build will be going into a '97 golf 4door. I had thought that lowering the compression was a good thing under circumstances. As for the head work, whatever it needed and is recommended.

The turbo I'm not too sure right now. Haven't looked at it in a while. Will tonight though. The stage2 is off a bu who was running it on his 2.0 turbo. So figured it'd be correct to use. What's recommended for axels? I was thinking the vr6 5x100 hub and brake assembly. As for transmission would an mkii tranny be the way to go still in this case?

This is why I post on here, for advice on how to do it right vs what I think would be right. My budget for this is around $6000.
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Veteran Member DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101's Avatar
    Let me save you a TON of heartache...I know of a customer of Foreign Automotive with a very clean MKIII Golf with a chipped 1.8t swap done by Jason, brakes, full turbo back exhaust etc. I even know it can be had for less than your $6k budget which you simply could not build it for. Very clean, runs very strong, I think it's even safety and etested...would be a great platform to begin with.

There is nothing wrong with what you're suggesting, but this is a way to have what you want for way less $ and down time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    in my spare time i like to surround myself with miniature figurines, and pretend that i am a giant. then i steal their livestock and smash their houses so they live in a constant state of fear.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    You won't get a built motor, turbo kit, etc for under $6k at all, sorry

Figure at least $3k for the motor alone.

What are your power goals? You might be able to get to your goals with a lower budget.

I agree with Dan though, if you can buy a complete pre-swapped car in good shape for under $6k you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and money!
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

The problem with starting with another car is that I've just put in suspension and a custom interior setup in my current golf which also has custom paint I had done. I've done everything except the engine, an that's what I wanna do next then go back to body work.

I want an engine that looks like its new (clean and painted), along with a clean bay. I want to turbo my engine now but I also want to run a lot of boost without fearing a rod is gonna destroy it all. But if I can get an obdI block, get it cleaned up and forget the rebuild. I may do that. And run 15-20psi

I highly doubt even an OBDI block will take 15-20psi for more than a couple minutes... you'll also have to deal with running an OBDI motor in an OBDII car and making everything work right even without the turbo thrown in.

You still haven't said what your power goals are, you NEED to start with that so you have a good direction and targets for the build.
    flickr

I never had any targets. First I was gonna turbo just for show. Then I figured if I'm gonna do it I should do it right. So idk.

Figure out what your goals are, then plan accordingly. If you only want about 200whp (big boost over stock!) you can likely get there on an internally stock engine on a tight budget.
    flickr

I wouldn't mind that whatsoever. What would it take?

Something like this should do it:

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/product...KIT-98-36.html

Add a full exhaust and a stronger clutch for good measure.
    flickr

How much boost would I be running? I've been looking at a few stage 2 kits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information