+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad CV joint passed safety?

Bad CV joint passed safety?

Hey guys, I bought an 03 jetta wolfsburg about 2 weeks ago saftied and e tested from a dealer in London. I just noticed within the last couple of days that when I'm turning I can hear a clicking noise coming from my front end as I turn the wheels. I did some reading and it seems like the culprit is the cv joints. My question is does anyone know if a car will pass a safety check with the cv joints clicking like that? I did some looking around online and I found a checklist for what they look for in the check and found this

I) any wheel or axle bearing is excessively worn, loose or damaged

Does this point include the cv joint or does anyone know if it should have passed with the bad joints? I want to make sure before I go back to the dealer. I did not hear the noise when I test drove the car so I'm guessing they masked the noise somehow. Any help is appreciated.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    You can't really mask that noise, but I would definitely go back and bring it up.

The CV isn't the bearing, so even if it's clicking it's not unsafe and would probably still pass a safety if the mechanic did hear it. Plus, it could have developed the issue after the safety was signed.

If the dealer is good they'll help you out, but they aren't obligated to.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Agreed. Basically it can be totally quiet then it will just start clicking out of nowhere. Look to see if your boot is ripped as well, that happened in the TT and it turned out it just needed a new boot and some grease and it was fine.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information