+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VW Gli vs Audi A4

VW Gli vs Audi A4

I am a 21 year old male and i am looking for a sedan that can easily be modded and is fun to drive. I am only interested in a manual transmission so unfortunately there aren't many options. In a perfect world i would have an S4 but that's not the case which leaves me with an A4 or a GLI. I original was sold on a GLI but after sitting in the A4 at the car show i fell in love. My only problem now is, will a car built for luxury give me the same thrill and exhilaration that a nicely modded GLI would? Would i be sacrificing fun factor for luxury if i chose the A4 over the GLI?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Neither are super light cars, but the GLI is definitely lighter. One thing to keep in mind is that you can get the A4 quattro which will help you put power down if you start modding it. 250whp goes to the ground a lot better through all four wheels than just the fronts. If you're looking at a FWD A4 vs a GLI I would go with the GLI all the way. It's still a nice interior, and will be a better performing car.

Another option to consider is a Golf R if you can find one.

Have you driven both the GLI and A4? That should help narrow it down a lot right there.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    Neither are super light cars, but the GLI is definitely lighter. One thing to keep in mind is that you can get the A4 quattro which will help you put power down if you start modding it. 250whp goes to the ground a lot better through all four wheels than just the fronts. If you're looking at a FWD A4 vs a GLI I would go with the GLI all the way. It's still a nice interior, and will be a better performing car.

Another option to consider is a Golf R if you can find one.

Have you driven both the GLI and A4? That should help narrow it down a lot right there.

I drove the GLI and the dealer allowed me to let loose on the highway which was definitely fun. I haven't driven the a4 yet but my neighbor did let me drive his 05 s4 for a little. I already have a 92 Miata to "burn rubber in the summer" and a 99 Grand Vitara for the nasty stuff we get up here. I want a car that I can still have loads of fun but is also practical as well as comfortable. Which one do you think fits that description best

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    The S4 isn't going to be anything like a current A4, you'll really have to drive a new one to make a decision.

If it were me, I would get the A4 2.0T quattro and get rid of the grand vitara.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    A4 hands down.

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    A4 hands down. Stock, it might be a lil less fun than a GLI, but you can always chip it and the extra ooompf + awd will be well worth it

Have you considered a Golf R? Not sure you can get them new anymore, but a certified pre-owned version would be just like new.
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information