+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Jetta tdi turbo problems

2002 Jetta tdi turbo problems

Hey, i have a 2002 jetta tdi with about 360,000km on it. I was driving it and when shifting from 3rd to 4rth at about 2500rpm the turbo cut out sending it into a limp mode. I just turned it off and on and it was fine. Over the months it started to happen a few times a week and the check engine light would come on but when the colder weather came it stopped. There was no light and the car would run fine. Now for the past two weeks it feel like the turbo doesn't keep pressure as it should or at all at low rpms. You can barely hear the turbo spool up. Sometimes it will kick in past 2000rpms but not as much as it should. When i turn the car off and on, rarely will this reset itself. On that rare occasion the car runs normally. Ive heard it could be a stuck turbo actuator but has anyone experienced the same thing?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Is it storing any codes at all? Turbo's are mechanical, so turning the car off and back on wouldn't do anything unless the ECU is the original culprit. If it's hitting real limp mode you should be getting a flashing light in the cluster I believe.

It could also be something like a carbon clogged manifold.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

New Member veedub canuck is on a distinguished road veedub canuck's Avatar
    You will find that its the boost pressure deviation code, cant remember the number but you have the classic symptoms of sticking VNT's in the turbo. Mine does it and i have to disconnect the linkage on the VNT and work it back and forth. I can feel a sticky spot in mine so at some point I will have to pull the turbo. Just google "ALH sticking VNT" and you will find lots on it.
    '03 Jetta GLS 1.8t w/upsolute tune and only 21,000kms
    99.5 Jetta TDI
    '01 Jetta TDI
    2x '90 Jetta 1.6td's

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    veedub canuck is correct,classic signs of sticky VNT actuator

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information