+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Standing at the edge of the pool ready to jump back in.

Junior Member dekker97 is on a distinguished road

Question Standing at the edge of the pool ready to jump back in.

Well as the title implies, I've held off from doing anything for a while to my car, and I'm ready to start again.

I'm looking for cheap power gains if possible. All I've got is a tiny 2.0 8v, is it possible? I've already got a cold air intake and a breather on the secondary air pump (can anyone tell me what this pump does? Because at every wrecker I've been to I haven't seen another car with this)

Secondly looking for cheap lowering springs/struts. I know springs are cheaper. And struts are better.

I NEED HELP! And lots of it.
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Junior Member Blackfin has a spectacular aura about Blackfin has a spectacular aura about Blackfin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dekker97 View Post
    Well as the title implies, I've held off from doing anything for a while to my car, and I'm ready to start again.

I'm looking for cheap power gains if possible. All I've got is a tiny 2.0 8v, is it possible? I've already got a cold air intake and a breather on the secondary air pump (can anyone tell me what this pump does? Because at every wrecker I've been to I haven't seen another car with this)
    You're probably not going to find a lot of power in a 2.0L on the cheap. They just don't move enough air in stock form. Real power will mean money spent on something like a turbo kit...

You might consider focusing on handling and braking, making the car an all-around performer rather than spending hundreds to eke another 5 HP from the engine.

The secondary air pump is used by VW as an emissions control device. At certain times, the pump starts and a valve (the "combination valve") opens allowing air from the pump to enter the exhaust ports. This brings fresh air (oxygen) into the exhaust stream which helps to deal with unburnt HCs leaving the engine before the catalytic converters have lit off. Air injection is not new or particularly unique; many manufacturers have used it in the past to help deal with HCs and to help light off the cats more quickly.
    Mike
    2010 Subaru WRX STi
    2002 Mustang GT S/C
    2002 GTI (sold)

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    If you want power from a 2L 8v you have to turbo or supercharge it.

You would be better off to sell the 2L car and buy a VR6 if you want around 180hp, and if you want more have a 1.8T swapped in.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    You can build budget turbos for the 8V pretty cheap though no?
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    IMO, a budget turbo kit isn't for someone that can't piece it together and install it themselves.

Even a budget turbo kit will cost more than selling the current car and getting a stock VR6 car, and will barely make more power without factory reliability.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    True. I'd only say budget if you're 100% fabbing and doing the work yourself. Otherwise start with a VR and turbo it.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

I'd love to buy a vr golf. Especially an mkII. Problem is, is that I also don't want to part with the one I got due to the money I've already put in.

I have H&R front and rear sways, strut tower brace waiting to be put in, halo/LED headlights, eurospec fog lights, the vr lip on the front, sound system with the kap custom cut and boxed into the back middle seat), chrome trim and handles and most of all custom 2tone paint job (dark vw metalic blue[how come I don't see this colour on any other vw's? Is it rare to see? Or just uncommon?] with a bright orange bottom and hatch. I'd post a picture but I'm not sure I can off my phone.

Now I understand why the pump is there, but how come I can't find any other golf/jetta with it? Just the holes for the mounts are there.

What should I do then? I'll stay away from attpting to get any more power than what I've got. So where should my next step take me? I'd love to be able to make my hubs to the 5stud gti hubs and have all disc brakes, but that can be difficult to do though I've heard.

Again, I need any and all suggestions.
    Thanks guys
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Also, I disconnected my a/c pump and removed and capped the hoses (didn't work, don't use it, and didn't wanna recharge/have it fixed) and I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can find a bypass pulley so I can remove the pump entirely. This also goes for the power steering, it still works, but I've heard that by removing all this it will both have less front end weight, as well as put more of the engines power to where I want it instead of turning those two pumps.
    Opinions?
    An what about moving the battery to the rear? Distributing weight for handling?

You don't need a 5 bolt conversion for rear discs, my MKIII Jetta had rear discs and 4 bolt hubs. If you do want to swap in 5 bolt parts, it's not that hard, you just need all the parts. That said, the rear brakes to very little and the stock drums are definitely up to the task of stopping it. If you want discs for the look, or want to upgrade to more powerful brakes all around you have options in both 4 and 5 bolt.

Removing the PS pump entirely will make steering a lot more difficult at low speeds since the rack was designed for power assist.

Putting the battery in the trunk will move some weight back there, but not enough to notice it and is more effort than it's worth unless you need the space under the hood for something else.
    flickr

Ok. That's what I figured when it comes to the battery, just putting what I heard out for other opinions. And yes I know it will make steering at slow speeds difficult, however I do believe that my ps fails in the rain sometimes because I have this problem, however I am 90% sure this is simply due to needing a new belt as it squeaks when it's dry. Think it's slipping as there isn't a whole ton of tension on the v-belt.

As for the brakes, I know I can buy a kit, but it's about $2k. Is there a model that comes stock with them that I could simply swap out and make the adjustments? It is more for looks than performance, however drum brakes can't be made performance anyways no?

You can get grippier rear shoes for some cars, but like I said above... the rear brakes do VERY little for stopping a car like these with some a heavy front weight bias.

I don't know for sure all the models that come with rear discs, but the later Wolfsburg Jetta's (97-early 99) are rear disc and 4 bolt. They would be a direct bolt in, just get the rear proportioning valve from a rear disc car as well. If you can find it, the easiest way is to swap in the whole rear beam (suspension) from a donor car. You can do the same if you're swapping to 5 bolt as well.
    flickr

Yeah that's what I thought would be the easiest route when swapping to 5 bolt. And yes I know the front breaks do the stopping. Same like on a bike. That's why I'm not too concerned about keeping the drums. You know any good wreckers around? I'm in oakville. And the only one I know of had maybe 30 cars in the back and that's all.

I'd check the classifieds on VWVortex first, you can probably scoop things up in better shape from there.
    flickr

The other option is just doing a VR swap. I think Wedzinga had a spare VR that he was trying to unload for cheap. Would be a perfect candidate for a tear-down and fresh rebuild IMO
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

A VR swap is pretty easy too since you can use all OEM parts for the car.
    flickr

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    i can get you a full 1.8t swap, ecu harness, motor, turbo everything, non imobilzer engine so its just wire up the ecu and go, and its pretty much a bolt in swap $250 motor might need a refresh from sitting around a bit but everything is free, has been in storage at a friends shop for a bit.

and as for brakes, rear rotors bot 4 and 5 bolt have the same diameter and are essentially identical spec wise except for the number of bolt holes. if you want more stopping power in the rear you can upgrade to a b5 s4 rear caliper which IIRC is a dual piston but will bolt right on to your stock carrier. drum brakes work just fine as well as long as they stay adjusted
    front brakes you can get G60 calipers/carriers and rotors for pretty cheap on the vortex, they are a little bigger then your stock ones, and retain your 4 bolt hubs or you can go with vr6 calipers carriers and rotors which are bigger again, still pretty cheap, but you will have to change over to 5 bolt, for the power you are going to be putting down in either a lightly modded 1.8t or a vr6, vr brakes are more then enough for daily use and abuse, i can hook you up with a set of vr brakes too if you want them, if you feel the need from there you can upgrade the rotors to zimmermann's or brembo's and get performance pads, but this will definately have you stopping on a dime
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

The whole engine is ready to be put in as it is?? How much for it? Also do you know where I can have it swapped in for a good price? And with the vr brakes I'd need the hubs too correct?

Because I'd love to get away from my engine if I can do it efficiently. And a 1.8t would be perfect. And a vr6 would be nice too. Anything really other than the one I got would be better

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    pm'd
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    pm'd
    Awesome. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information