+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter Tire options

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar

Winter Tire options

So because I drive 90% highway, I was wondering if there's a particular winter tire I should look at. I was debating these options. I'm willing to spend up to $800 with steelies, installed and balanced (the options below give me that)

Aside from price, are there some tires that are good for the highway? So not too loud, although I realize it'll be louder than normal.

Option 1 - $540.00 195-65-15 Winter Claw Extreme
    Option 2 package with Conti Barum Polaris 3 - $570.00
    Option 3 package with General Altimax Arctic - $670.00
    Option 4 package with Gislaved Nordfrost 5 - $660.00
    Option 5 package with Hankook W409 iPike - $680.00
    Option 6 package with Bridgestone Winterforce - $680.00
    Option 7 package with Continental ExtremeContact - $710.00
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    I would recommend reading the reviews on Tire Rack. Personally I have used the iPike and was happy with it. It saved me from being rear ended when I saw a truck barrelling towards me as I was stopped at a red light and I was able to hit the gas and move forward while the other driver spun out.
    My brother runs the Continental on his MKV GTI. This will be the 3rd winter season and he is happy with it too - it would be a better buy than the iPike since of its speed rating and advantage for drivers who still want some spirited driving and grip on dry surfaces during the winter.

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    No experience in any of the above. I've used the following and would recomend any of them. All are highway decent speed rated and did very well on both dry highways, and in the snow.

Continental TS810S
    Goodyear Ultragrip GW3
    Dunlop Wintersport 3D
    Sava Eskimo S3 (hard to find tire made by Goodyear Europe, awesome tire and Cheap Price)

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies. There'll be no spirited driving this winter though, these are for the Civic!
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Ben, the iPike's have come highly recommended by three places I've called. I'm debating between an ice/snow or a performance snow, if I go with an ice/snow I'll be getting the iPike's for sure.

What does anyone else run for snows? I don't want to lose all my dry grip, since it is dry 90% of the time in the winter lately but at the same time I also need to be able to survive the snow in Collingwood if they're getting hit pretty hard without getting stuck.

For performance snows I'm kinda leaning towards the Blizzak LM60's.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

So I called up SimplyTire and asked their opinion. They suggested because of the amount of hwy driving to go with the Gislaved Nordfrost 5. So I'll try them out and see. I would imagine I'll only get 2 winters out of them anyway with the amount of driving we'll be doing. (1000km/week)
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Those actually came pretty highly recommended by the places I called too. They're a little cheaper than the Hankooks too I think?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Yeah, $115/tire for a 195/65/15.

$770 taxes in with steelies, mounted and balanced.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Damn, I'm looking at at least that much for tires mounted/balanced onto my stock wheels
    flickr

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Ya will, if your going with 17" performance snows its a killer. Where are you living right now Will? I've got a distributer than can probably get you some better pricing if you call him and tell him I sent you. he's down at Steeles + Weston.

John & Leslie area, Steeles and Weston isn't too bad at all to get to. Want to shoot me the name of the place?

Pricing has ranged from $780 mounted/balanced up to about $1250 mounted/balanced (all on my stock wheels) depending on tires. I'm looking at 215/45/17 which doesn't seem to have cheap options
    flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information