+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MK4 DIY Big Brake Kit

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar

MK4 DIY Big Brake Kit

I am interested in upgrading the pathetic lil Mk4 brakes on my 1.8T. More aesthetics than functionality because the rears look plain sad with 19s on. Of course the additional brake bite will be nice too.

Besides GLI calipers and carriers which are the cheap alternative to larger brakes and besides splurging on Willwood which are the cheapest big brake alternative NEW - what will be some alternatives if I were to source components from salvage yards, part outs etc.

This would be for the front and rear of course. I also think that anything beyond 13-13.3 for the fronts are overkill for a FWD car that is yes, an auto and making less than 300hp.

Veteran Member pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga's Avatar
    Brakes from an R32 will be more then enough stopping power and are reasonably priced, specially if you pick up a used setup.
    01 Golf 4dr 1.8T
    04 Passat Wagon

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Might want to price out replacement parts before going R32... rotors are $200+ a piece for fronts (OEM will be $300+ likely).

http://www.bestpricecarparts.ca/Shop...20Left&mode=PA

I would go with 20th/337/GLI brakes, they're plenty cheap compared to R32 brakes and will fill out the rims almost as much.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    3/2/g is the way to go , like will said R rotors are $$$$$$$

the most popular set up is boxster calipers on 13.1's

and fyi r32 rears wont bolt up need some spacers or some shit
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    I'd get the GLI setup. 12.3" rotors is plenty big enough for your car. And they're cheap too.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...ta/Brake/72/15
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    I agree with you guys that the GLI setup is the most cost effective - but while the rotors are decent size, the calipers are still the same IIRC and only differ by the carriers. After having the s4 and 4pot clamping power (and looks), I think Liam's suggestion of the Boxster brakes would be a good look. So, do I just source out the calipers and rotors, does it need any other hardware (I would get stainless lines anyways) ?

Didn't realize r32 brakes are expensive!!...

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    For your usage, you don't need 4 piston calipers. It's not a track car, and doesn't need fixed calipers with more pistons. You would be fine (even with track duty) using stock sized brakes with good blank rotors and better brakes pads.

If you're doing it for the bling of having 4 piston calipers, then you're going to have to pay to play. Boxster calipers won't be cheap by any means, and without changing the master cylinder / proportioning valve(s) you're throwing off the brake bias by running front calipers that weren't designed for the brake system.

12.3" kit:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...tage_2/ES1171/

13.1" kit:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ge_2v2/ES1180/

That's just fronts too, you're looking at at least $2000-$2500 for brakes all around if you go that route. If you go 337/20th/gli you'll probably get everything for under $600 easily, and won't pay out the ass for new rotors. If you want better feel, replace the flex lines with braided lines.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Well I was thinking front Boxster setup and the rear would be ECS's rear brake upgrade (11inches I think) which is on sale for 249 (they don't sell the carriers separately). I understand the brake bias issue with the balance being changed - but the functionality would still be there right? I am not tracking the car at all.

If you're not tracking the car, IMO you're spending a lot of money to have Porsche calipers and bigger discs just for the look. ~$2k is a lot of money just to have it look different.

If it were my money it would get 337/20th/GLI with braided lines and more aggressive pads.
    flickr

Actually Will...I was looking at this setup here.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-11-Porsch...71111c&vxp=mtr.

That doesn't give you rotors you can use, caliper carriers that work or flex lines to hook it all up. The only thing useful out of that is the calipers.

From what I could find, ECS doesn't sell their kit minus the calipers so I'm not sure where you would even source the rest of the required bits.
    flickr

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute

saw that Uro, Liam. Definately not spending that much coin I am guessing its the GLI front n the ECS rear setup for me.

really you only need the front rotor and caliper carrier, but for the rear you need everything (gli is 10.1" vented vs 9" solid turd)

If only I can get the carriers by itself and the rears come with a kit from ECS I believe.

Just called up Autozone here in MI and they have the front carriers n rotors for the GLI for $170US. Can't go wrong with that. If thats all I need for the front, then I would need the same for the rears right?

that rear kit is junk

sure it gives you 11" rotorand moves the current caliper but still solid vs vented

rather have the 10.1 vented then a 11" solid

vs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information