+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steelies or Alloy wheels for winter?

Steelies or Alloy wheels for winter?

Bought a 2012 Jetta TDI Highline and I'm debating what to do for winter, steelies (as I've always done) or just keep the allow rims and swap rubber.

Can somebody explain if there are benefits to the steel rims aside from the obvious (no scratches on nice ones / convenience to swap)? I've had ice form on the inside of my steel rims before and it creates a horrible vibration at speeds... I wonder if this would be less likely to happen on the stock 17" alloys.

Also where would be the best place to buy steel rims for the Jetta?

Matt
    Last edited by mbolzicco; 09-22-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add a question

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    It's a big pain and not great for the tires to keep swapping them off the wheels every spring/fall, so if you want alloys I would get another set instead of using the same rims with two sets of tires.

The only benefit to steel rims is that they're cheap.

Where to buy wheels depends on where you live, there's lots of great local places all over southern Ontario.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Ya ice will build up easy on alloys as well, wheel design has alot to do with it. Like said above, where you live will change where you shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information