+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glovebox latch broken

Glovebox latch broken

Hey guys the latch of my jettas glovebox broke so now I can't close it. Do I have to replace the whole door or can I get a latch kit of some sort.

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by slaandjivaa View Post
    Glove box handle jammed on my MkIV VW Golf about 6 months ago. When trying to re-open it i heard a snap and the two
    prongs to the left and right of the golvebox which keep it closed fell inside meaning that it would not stay shut. After
    getting fed up using wedges of paper to keep the damn thing shut i though i would try and fix it myself (I also didn't
    fancy paying VW over £100 to repair it!)

Turns out its pretty simple and can be done in 15 mins.

Step 1 Open the lid
    (-) There is no need to remove the lid from the car. The fix can be made with it still in place.
    (-) Get your screwdriver (the thinner the head the better) into the small gap as indicated by the red arrow
    (-) Once in wiggle it about and you will hear the plastic bonds which are glued together snapping apart (be brave !!)
    (-) After it starts to give way slide your screwdriver sideways (as indicated by green arrow) this will help ease the back panel of the glove box away from the front
    (-) Once you can comfortably fit your hand in between the gap then stop (no need to completely separate the front and back)

Step 2 The problem
    (-) Here you can see the problem.
    (-) The small white hinge has fallen off the peg which holds it in place
    (-) There are 2 arms (to left and right in picture) which move in and out when you pull the handle on the front of the glovebox
    (-) With the white hinge out of place no movement takes place and your glovebox catches do not engage and hold the box closed

Step 3 The solution
    (-) The fix is pretty simple
    (-) Attach the white hinge over the peg, ensuring that the part with the small hole (pic 2a - ring #2) is facing down the way
    (-) The 'teeth' of the hinge should be facing up the way so that they lock into end of the arm shown in pic 2b
    (-) Once you have attached the arm and the hinge ensure that the spring between the left and right white hinges is in place (this is fiddly)
    (-) The reason the white hinge fell off on my car was that the end of the plastic peg on which the hinge sits had half broken off
    (-) To fix this I fitted a small screw into the peg (pic 3) tight enough to secure the hinge but loose enough to let the hinge pivot

Step 4 Putting it back together
    (-) Once it is all done its a case of using glue to re-attach the back and front of the glovebox
    (-) Recommend that you use clamps and leave it setting for 12-24 hours

Good luck !!

Cheers

link

Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Much appreciated. Will try it out this weekend

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information