+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water leaking into the car. mk1 Cabby

New Member PinkCabbyBaby is on a distinguished road

Water leaking into the car. mk1 Cabby

i've replaced the moduel in the last year .. and it worked but the water keeps getting in and dampening everything.
    someone said it could be the seal on the windshield .
    but im wondering if theres anything anyone else has been able to do to waterproof their cabriolet.
    i know thats asking alot considering these cars were known for this issue.
    BUT
    any help is much appriciated! thanks
    [(__)()===\X/===()(__)]

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    put the roof up

jk, I'd say check all seals. On a nice day, take the hose and have someone spray it in certain areas, and find where its coming from.

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    its a cabriolet....the entire roof comes down.....
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

Finding leaks on a MK1 chassis

First, inspect and clear any leaves or dirt debris in the vent tray area between the windshield and the engine bay. Make sure the drain ports on each side are clear. Water that backs up here can get in through the heater/vent inlet or the blower motor mount. Be careful not to damage the fragile plastic tray cover. It can be removed, but I typically leave it in place and vacuum gently underneath it with a small adapter hose on the vacuum. A blower wand with compressed air can help too. After a thorough cleaning, inspect with a flashlight for rust holes or corrosion.

Second, do a visual inspection of your windshield gasket. The MK1s used a rubber gasket that generally holds up well -unless it becomes damaged from road oil which can cause softening and swelling. Also check for any gaps where the body has been stressed or bent that the gasket cannot match up to. Lastly, dirt buildup or "repaint residue" underneath the outter lip of the gasket near the roof area can allow some water in, but generally not much. Clean out dirt with a vacuum, tooth brush, and compressed air.

Lastly, open your doors and closely inspect the 2 spots on each side where the hinges for the doors pass into the body. These locations are often poorly sealed and as the car ages and parts move/sag they can allow a surprising amount of water to leak into the car. The hard-top MK1 had drip rails on the roof, and when the car is parked level these rails can direct runoff rain water directly over the hinge/body mount interface. I imagine the soft-tops can do the same. Do not worry about the side of the hinge that goes into the door. Generally the hinge/door interface is not a cause of leaks as the interior part of the door is sealed with plastic sheet to protect the door card and it has drains in the bottom.

If you suspect a leak at the hinge/body interface, first carefully clean, then plaster any gaps or openings at the hinge/body interface with a good brand of silicone or "gutter-seal" type sealant. Be sure to apply behind the hinge where it is difficult to see. Silicone cannot be painted, but most gutter-seal can after it cures. For a professional job, Geocel 2300 Vehicle Body Sealant and Geocel GeoBond PUR 50 Polyurethane Sealant are both good choices and are paintable. Your local paint and body shop may offer other good sealants. Anything you buy cheap at Autozone should probably be checked for effectiveness, water resistance, and potential paint-peel before using. A friend of mine used some Shoe-Goo from Wall Mart and wound up with a mess he had to remove. Stay away from Shoo-Goo or you will be sorry.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information