+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 AWP Auto(09a) to Manual (02j) Swap

2002 AWP Auto(09a) to Manual (02j) Swap

Hey guys, Im new on here and need some advise.

Im currently swapping my auto tranny from my 18t, we have pretty much everything set up and finished, but its not starting.

Why would it not be starting? all we have left to do is electrical but im kinda stuck on what needs to be done to make it run.

I still have the auto ECU, Cluster ad TCM in.

no matter what i do i cant get it to fire up, but its cranking with a problem.
    This is my DD, I need it running asap.

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    Well first I suggest you stop grave digging old threads.

2nd could be the immobilizer.

Do you get anything when you try to turn the key to start? Is it turning over, all the lights on the cluster etc.
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

The engine worked flawlessly before the auto was taken out, just to set the record straight

We have the clutch switches bypassed for now, so it cranks without having to depress the clutch. Transmission is in neutral and it cranking without a problem. No plugs or sensors on the engine were touched during the swap. We've also pulled out all the plugs to inspect, they were fine. The engine is grounded through one of the top bellhousing bolts directly to the ground under the batt tray right to the batt negative. We also checked for spark out of the coils (plug was grounded to valve cover) --- no spark at all..

We've since gotten our hands on some OBD readers, and may have some more issues.. We're working on getting a vag-com for tomorrow... But even with both code readers, we are seeing the same things from both..

With the TCM disconnected, neither code readers are able to connect at all.
    With the TCM connected, we get a boatload of codes related to the auto trans (solenoid codes, etc - the TCU is plugged in but the trans is not).

There was one code that stood out from the rest though, 18258/P1850.
    18258/P1850 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ECU
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18258/P1850

Could this mean the ECU is dead? Or would that code just be there because the TCU was unplugged and the canbus was interrupted?

So what we have so far is either of the following:

-Dead ecu
    -blown fuse(s) to ecu (already checked though..)
    -ecu improperly coded (because it was coded for auto etc)
    -ecu we are trying to use is from the auto setup (backwards compatible?) or is it totally impossible to recode? I'm thinking it might be close to impossible, the car is 2002.5 with immo 3
    -OBD/diagnostics don't seem to work without TCM connected (waiting for VCDS to confirm though)

And one more thing that isin't ECU/TCU related. If we're getting no spark and no start, could it be a bad crank sensor? My friend's VR had the same issue and we replaced it with one from an old 2.0 and it started right up.. However for that issue the OBD worked and there was a code for the crapped out sensor.. With the 1.8t we're working with here, we can't even get it to connect without the TCM plugged in..

Any ideas? Thanks for everyone's input!

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    clutch switch?
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    I can change the code on my ecu from manual to auto and the other way. I assume yours has the ability to do the same. A quick search should answer that question. That should make lots of those errors go away. But yes a ross-tech cable is a must..
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

we by-passed the clutch swith thats why its cranking, could i borrow someones ross-tech to see if that lets it start. there will be beer in it for you
    if not anyone have one for sale?
    i was doing some reading and i read that switching it froma 2 to a 1 with a vag comm only works with the TDIs. could any one confirm ?

i think ill give jason a call while im on lunch maybe he has some answers, i just need it back on the road asap.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information