+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EPC / ASR / MIL need technical help

New Member DHB is on a distinguished road

EPC / ASR / MIL need technical help

So this is the issue I'm facing..

on most cold starts the rpms will stay in the 1100 range until i drive it for a bit then it calms back down to 700-800

At times the ASR/EPC lights will turn on for no apparent reason. Sometimes on turns, sometimes just driving when this happens the car will shut off shortly after.

When I restart the car after it shuts off the rpms will drop off and the car will just shut off. I can get the car going by revving the engine and going into 1st gear but when I stop at a light or stop sign again the rpms will drop off and the car will shut off. After doing this 3 to 5 times the car will run but seems like it wants to stall again.

It will also go into limp mode most times when this happens and I now drive around with a socket set to disconnect the battery to clear it all from the memory when it happens.

The shop I go to has had to realign the throttle body three times because of the random shutting down of the car. They are saying that the throttle body itself needs to be replaced but the throttle was done a few months ago. The owner of the shop is convinced that it's electrical but two other guys are sure it's a bad throttle body either way I don't want pay for another throttle body if this one isnt the problem.....

The throttle body seems to just "lose" it's programming for no apparent reason at all and shows codes for vacuum, throttle, misfiring I guess cause the engine is getting choked out when the throttle "looses" it's programming.

Before I bought the car I was shown what was done / replaced on the car and the list goes a little like this

New battery.
    New vacuum lines.
    Replaced throttle (used from a running engine)
    The ground wires under the battery were redone.
    Other general maintenance was done as well fluids, new tires and brakes.

It almost seems that they were trying to track this problem and were replacing parts as they were going.

I replaced the coils and plugs back in June
    I replaced the crank position sensor last week and that hasn't fixed it so now I'm stumped do I get another throttle or start looking at the ECU, gas pedal, diverter valve or some other part.

My engine is bone stock and I'm not modding it until I can fix this issue first.

My car is a 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T
    Engine code AWW

any help or insight is apprecited

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    What codes is it storing? There's going to be at least one if you're hitting limp mode. Get it scanned with VAG-COM and not some generic OBDII tool, you'll get a lot more info that way.

I'm not sure about MKIV ESC's, but I know MKIII ESC's you can't clear memory/codes by disconnecting the battery, you need a code scanner / VAG-COM to clear them.

The TPS is in the throttle body since your car is drive by wire, but it could be either a bad TPS/TB or it could be in the wiring to it. I would give the connections a good cleaning and make sure everything is well connected and see if there's any improvement.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    MAF

I picked up another throttle body today and ill see if that fixes it (from the source)

I was getting my shop to clear and re adapt the throttle with their computer not a generic scanner they were the one who told me to completely disconnect the battery in a pinch to at least get the car running again (I'm now trying to source a VAGCOM)

I'm going to clean the MAF tonight when I replace the throttle.

excuse my ignorance but TPS is - Throttle Position Sensor ????

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post

I'm going to clean the MAF tonight when I replace the throttle.

excuse my ignorance but TPS is - Throttle Position Sensor ????
    Yup

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Why do you keep buying parts without checking what code(s) is being stored?!?! These cars store codes for EVERYTHING, you shouldn't have to guess at parts like this.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

the previous owner was replacing parts on a whim (I bought the car in June of this year) Ive only done the coil packs they were on their way out anyway and the crank sensor.

I didn't want to get another throttle which is where all the codes are coming from because they had replaced it earlier this year with one out of a running car but it was from a passat.

I replaced the throttle last night and had my shop for a adaptation this morning its already running like a different car so I'm hoping this got it but time will tell.

As i had said in my original post the owner of the shop was convinced that the throttle was good but it was a electrical problem. Two of the other guys were convinced that it was just the throttle as that's where all the codes were coming from anyway I replaced the throttle.

AH, gotcha. I thought you had thrown all those parts at it. It could've been the TB/TPS, or it could've been a connection to it. A relative's S4 was throwing codes and hitting limp mode with codes for the TPS, turns out the connector was just dirty/corroded. A simple cleaning fixed the issue. That was 4 or 5 years ago and it never came back, vs ~$3k for a new TB. I'm sure your TB wasn't anywhere near that much though, AND you're back on the road and happy so it's worth it.
    flickr

Ya I'm a cheap **** and don't like throwing money and parts at these cars

It seems fine now and I'm running the **** out of it replicating conditions that caused it to fail before and it's working rather well.

I also cleaned all the connectors for the throttle while I was at it

new throttle did the job car is running like new

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information