+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insurance for Mk2 1.8t?

Insurance for Mk2 1.8t?

Hey guys, been a while since I posted on here (new account). Just wondering if anyone can point me to a decent broker/insurance company for my recently finished 92 Mk2 1.8t. Already had Intact and Belair turn me down for engine mods and 20+ year old rules respectively. Appreciate any advice from people with experience!

I live 45 mins north of the T.

Member JC77 is on a distinguished road JC77's Avatar
    Pioneer insurance brokers in Fredrick Mall Kitchener... as for Chad Winger and tell him Caton recommended you. I'm not 100% sure on the mods but I know he has gotten me and a few of my friends some great pricing
    2004 GTI 1.8T ( AWP ) k04 APR TUNED
    Foreign Automotive 519-894-9551| http://www.foreignautomotive.ca

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    you should really think about not mentioning the "t" in 1.8t. when they ask what it is say its a mk2 4 cyl, 1.8 because thats a stock engine option.

I know I know, you want your mods covered in case of an accident, well MOST companies will not insure a modified car at all especially engine mods, therefore you will have to go get it appraised and use this in case of an accident, to get some of your money back.

you can also try telling them the engine swap was done because the old engine was worn out and this one is more fuel efficient and more reliable.

or at last resort try zehr insurance, they specialize in vintage, collector, rods, and specialty cars 519 662 1710, or 1 800 667 1802
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    The problem with not telling them the whole truth is that they can, and will, drop your policy in the event of an accident once they notice it's a 1.8T leaving you with 0 coverage. You'll also have an impossible time getting insurance after being dropped for non disclosure.

Ask Liam (soundwave), he has a VR MKII insured properly and is paying really reasonable rates.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    you should really think about not mentioning the "t" in 1.8t. when they ask what it is say its a mk2 4 cyl, 1.8 because thats a stock engine option.

I know I know, you want your mods covered in case of an accident, well MOST companies will not insure a modified car at all especially engine mods, therefore you will have to go get it appraised and use this in case of an accident, to get some of your money back.

you can also try telling them the engine swap was done because the old engine was worn out and this one is more fuel efficient and more reliable.

or at last resort try zehr insurance, they specialize in vintage, collector, rods, and specialty cars 519 662 1710, or 1 800 667 1802
    Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    The problem with not telling them the whole truth is that they can, and will, drop your policy in the event of an accident once they notice it's a 1.8T leaving you with 0 coverage. You'll also have an impossible time getting insurance after being dropped for non disclosure.

Ask Liam (soundwave), he has a VR MKII insured properly and is paying really reasonable rates.

Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    It also helps if you're over 30 yrs old...vs say, 18. Some insurance companies will refuse to insure a younger driver on such an old vehicle.
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Good luck finding insurance telling them that you have a different engine on your car.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    Good luck finding insurance telling them that you have a different engine on your car.
    Considering Liam just did it within the last couple weeks should tell you it's possible :P
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    the passat was stock a 16v and was regged as a vr

do not say modded/lower/cone filter nothing !

TD gave me a month to get the passat inspected (i said it was lowered/ they gave me a speach on how they dont do modded anything, including air filters :| )

im no longer with them
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

My old GTi VR Swap and Jetta VR swap were both insured with State Farm (under my parents name with me as an occasional driver) with the VR swap and mods stated in the policy , I never had an issue, however they did take the cars for about 2 hours to Inspect them, and my premium was about 1.5x the normal 16v golf or jetta premiums.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurjen View Post
    Considering Liam just did it within the last couple weeks should tell you it's possible :P
    I never said it wasn't possible, I just said good luck.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Haha thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like i'll just have to play coy. Good thing it is still a 1.8 4cyl. Why isn't there a company that insures this stuff? anyone in for starting one?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty-MkII View Post
    Haha thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like i'll just have to play coy. Good thing it is still a 1.8 4cyl. Why isn't there a company that insures this stuff? anyone in for starting one?
    Because by the statistics people that swap in double to triple the stock hp will use it, and are higher risks for a payout. Insurance is all a scam, in Ontario we pay like double or more than other provinces do. I've got a friend that's a broker, and the stories he has of people trying to rip off insurance companies is insane.

Playing coy is dangerous, because if you're ever in an accident they can (and will) drop your coverage on the spot once the adjuster sees the car. If that happens you're left with zero coverage, and a big red flag on your history for being dropped for non disclosure.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    pretty sure that thats a risk that a metric fuck tonne of people are taking these days. so basically don't drive like a fuckstick and have any at-fault claims or speed related and play dumb if anything does happen

It has nothing to do with it being at fault or not... if some dummy hits you and sues you, and your insurance company drops you not only is your car not covered, you're not covered for liability.
    flickr

i guess i've just been lucky then , or maybe its my love for the "sleeper" look but anytime i've ever made a claim, i've never had an adjuster ask to look or look under my hood(of his own accord) and i've modded every car i've ever owned, even my 91 hyundai excell with the turbo talon driveline swap

i've also always either driven or had my car towed home so i can be there with the adjuster. not in a compound where they can got at it at their own discretion. not sure if that makes a difference or not

^^ I'm sure that helps, plus I think it has gotten much worse in the past couple years with insurance companies.
    flickr

Ended up going with Gore Mutual Insurance. Didn't get asked a lot of questions and sent them pics so...

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty-MkII View Post
    Ended up going with Gore Mutual Insurance. Didn't get asked a lot of questions and sent them pics so...
    cool, good to know. is the rate decent?
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information