+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have a new intreset in mk2's. learn me

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute

I have a new intreset in mk2's. learn me

big bumper /small bumper
    8v/16v / g60 flairs
    big doors / small doors

can you interchange any light / grill set up?

anything else

go!

Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    They have sucky grounds. That's all I know!

And I love square lights with small bumpers.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Round headlights, big bumpers and big doors is the way to go.

When I changed the lights on my MK2 from square to rounded, I had to change my rad support.

Rusted fenders, rusted windshield area, rusted rear suspension holder thingy are things to look for.

Memories...

2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    control arms are easy to change...30min per side (that includes the time to figure out what tools you need and where to look for the bolts)
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    how about some pictures?

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    ^^^ That is what a MK2 GTI should look like!! And the 16v is awesome!

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101's Avatar
    MK2 = Best chassis VW ever made. Of the 40+ cars i've owned, my favorite VW was still my 8V 89' Jetta Flair...

My vote, Jetta...small bumpers, single rounds, thick moldings and lots o power.

Last edited by DUB101; 03-26-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    in my spare time i like to surround myself with miniature figurines, and pretend that i am a giant. then i steal their livestock and smash their houses so they live in a constant state of fear.

^ how about hatch big bumper and a lil power :P

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    *mario* herewego! */mario*

mk2's... 85-92
    big changeover year was 87

until then there were small bumpers, 3 types of trims, 2 types of arches and 3 types of lips.
    after then there was a different fusebox, 2 types of trims on base model, 2 types of trims on highend models, 2 types of arches, and 2 lips.

Beware of any and all westmoreland cars.. they're the anomaly, they had shit wiring (Was NOT Central electric) and inferior steel, (same or similar to mexican puebla steel) The only good thing that westy cars had were the lights, and they weren't that hot to begin with either.

86 and 87 gti/gli/gtx were the only ones to get rear disk, all others were drum...

and contrary to popular belief, you can do a round setup without seeking out a round light rad support.... a 2" holesaw and some black primer will do fine...

uhm.... other than that... what'd ya want to know..... I've had...
    erm.... 9

well lets say i bought the car above. is that big door ? are those 16v flairs? small trim?

you have a round set up i can buy
    Last edited by soundwave; 03-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.

If you bought the car above (purple), I would definitely not change anything. Yes, it is big door and I'm pretty sure it's 16v flairs and skirts. F00king sexy car. I would leave the lights, those are corrado style lights and worth more than the round set up.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

its actually bmw steel blue off e46's ?

and i sold those headlights already

always wanted 4 round mk2

and its vr6 cams lsd/mk3 dash/ bbs rs with radinox lips / recaro ed ones / willlwoods

also some stuff i dont like

hood pins need a bra
    8lbs flywheel
    shaved doors :|

old pix , that muffler is gone, rado or b3 vr muffler on it

Veteran Member DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101's Avatar
    I'd say single rounds, find an appropriate muffler. Shaved door handles aren't something I would spend money to do, but it does look pretty trick and if it works...I'd leave it. You've got 16V flares and big bumpers with big window doors (no quarter windows). What I WOULD spend money on...is some Happich popouts for the rear windows. Because the rest of the car is pretty tidy the way it sits...

in my spare time i like to surround myself with miniature figurines, and pretend that i am a giant. then i steal their livestock and smash their houses so they live in a constant state of fear.

Is the VR swap nice and tidy? I've seen some butchered jobs back in the day. Some cars never ran right from DIY shifty jobs. It looks really clean from the pics.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Senior Member thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt's Avatar
    R36 BT AWD or bust. Gogogogo!

Senior Member PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI's Avatar
    i got an extra single round grill

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    i got a pair of fluted round lights, and a stock (aero light) rad support can easily be modded to accept rounds, just needs a hole punched for an adjuster to clear, i also have a minty westy light setup.

anything else you're after i might just have. I have a tendancy to hoard mk2 parts
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Wait you sold the rallye headlights? Hope you got like 600+$ ive always loved mk2's and im going to be looking for another gti with a vr swap in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    Is the VR swap nice and tidy? I've seen some butchered jobs back in the day. Some cars never ran right from DIY shifty jobs. It looks really clean from the pics.
    yes 1st swap was a mess, then it was rewired headlight to taillight @ ast in Brampton

Quote Originally Posted by thekatt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PolskaGTI View Post
    i got an extra single round grill
    noted

Quote Originally Posted by ThaBozz View Post
    Wait you sold the rallye headlights? Hope you got like 600+$ ive always loved mk2's and im going to be looking for another gti with a vr swap in the future.
    i got a good deal

i got a pair of fluted round lights, and a stock (aero light) rad support can easily be modded to accept rounds, just needs a hole punched for an adjuster to clear, i also have a minty westy light setup.

anything else you're after i might just have. I have a tendancy to hoard mk2 parts
    sweet

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    What are the biggest mk2 flares they made? Which sub model. The 16v?

Also anyone in possesion of an mk2 wanna do me a favour and grab some dimentions off said items?
    "Nobody screws with Boris Grishenko, Spike them!"

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Congrats! I have a secret love affair with mk2's..
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Congrats! I have a secret love affair with mk2's..
    I think most of us do.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahammer View Post

Also anyone in possesion of an mk2 wanna do me a favour and grab some dimentions off said items?
    16v/G60 flairs are the same dimensions, but are a fair amount wider than the 8v flairs. It's obvious if you've seen them in person, unfortunately I don't have anything to measure.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    I would leave the lights, those are corrado style lights and worth more than the round set up.
    They're golf Ralleye lights, not corrado lights... they look cool but work like shit surprisingly enough. that whole grille, rad support and light setup are unique to the ralleye (e.g. cant put ralleye headlights into any other rad support) Audi S2 hid retrofits seems to do these lights wonders. but hacking them up is like fixing an original rembrandt.... some things are best left unmolested.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB101 View Post
    You've got 16V flares and big bumpers with big window doors (no quarter windows). What I WOULD spend money on...is some Happich popouts for the rear windows. Because the rest of the car is pretty tidy the way it sits...
    Here's another dyed in the wool mk2 whore...
    Dan's right man.... nothing drives me up the wall more than mix-n-match mk2s (big doors with small bumpers or small doors with big bumpers..... but I'd sooner the former over the latter) having a period correct door/bumper/moulding/badging scheme is really nice. and some badging is now getting hard to come by.

and for the record, Happich popouts are sick.... but something *I* wouldn't spend that kind of money on.... but then again.... I would be puckering my asshole everytime I drove that thing somewhere.... having a minty mk2 would bother me to drive around. I like em a little beat up

Quote Originally Posted by ThaBozz View Post
    Yep... the asking price has always astounded me.... I know they're made of unobtainium, but aside from that, they suck as functional lighting...

Quote Originally Posted by yamahammer View Post
    Yes... 16v or G60 flairs are the largest they had come, there are "votex" flairs, but they're taller and not wider. There are also BBS Kits and Kamei X1 kits that had larger flairs, but they're rare as rocking horse shit now. And they're probably not what most people are looking for in mk2's.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    16v/G60 flairs are the same dimensions, but are a fair amount wider than the 8v flairs. It's obvious if you've seen them in person, unfortunately I don't have anything to measure.
    Only difference with the 16v flairs are the mounting points where it mounts to the top of the wheelwell at the underside of the fender. The 8v flairs have circular holes for the plastic rivets, the 16v flairs have 3 or 4 little rectangular holes for clips...

Quote Originally Posted by thekatt View Post
    Hmm.. Now rumour has it, that.... IIRC.... either the 3.2 or 3.6 VR had an all aluminum block..... or so I've heard...
    (I hate spreading mis information, but I dont know my later style VR's too well, anyone confirm/deny this?)
    Something along those lines of an aluminum VR block would be tits, because of where the VR sits farther ahead of the axle... less front end weight in a mk2 vr would be pretty interesting...

Liam...

your new ride makes my pants tight...... no homo

this was golfatron's.... right?

Thanks Phill.

cant wait to pick it up sat

I'd like to book a viewing....

sure thing.

1st thing is ditching that 8lb flywheel

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    Ya thats as I figured, the g60 ones come almost perpindicular to the fender.I think they look great.

Thanks for the info guys!
    "Nobody screws with Boris Grishenko, Spike them!"

Quad headlights with eyebrow = Boner Jams!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information