+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breaking in a 2012 TDI

Breaking in a 2012 TDI

Bought my first diesel and I want to make sure I break the engine in properly. I have been told it's best practice to have the engine run at different speeds, rather than to just put 10k on the engine via cruise control at 110km/h. Can anybody echo that?

Also, the sales guy at the dealership said the new 2012 TDI's have come a long way from the older models, and they dont need to warm up for 5 minutes like I thought a TDI would have to. In the winter I will still let it warm up 5 minutes, but in the summer can you really just start and go?

Appreciate it guys,

Matt

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    Congrats on the buy.

Let the car warm up on startup - I wouldn't go as far as running it for 5 minutes, 60-120 seconds should do it. Once warmed up do some good acceleration, up to 4000 rpm.

Don't use your cruise control right away, so the RPM's vary.

When you go to shut the car down, make sure you haven't been beating on it so the engine is at normal temps.

Other then that, you should be good to go!

Note - these are my opinions.. not to be confused with manufacture specs. I'd check the handbook for break-in instructions.

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    ^ what he said.

ours is just about @ 15,000k 1st service soon
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information