+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire recommendations?

Veteran Member Dubheaded is on a distinguished road

Tire recommendations?

Hey all:

So my stock tires have been worn down by, uh, spirited driving, and I'm now shopping for new rubber. My GTI is currently not chipped, but will be once I decided how much I'm spending on rubber and if I'm going to lower it this year or not. It really comes down to what it's all going to cost me (I'm getting the full APR program for the sale price). Any suggestions of what to buy, and where to get it? As it's my first car, I have yet needed to deal with such things. I know once upon a time we had a gentleman here that dealt with a lot of GenDubbers (doob I think?).

Currently 18" Detroits, but am considering wheel upgrade as well.

I do, occasionally, take it over 180. Being in southwestern Ontario, we get some rain, so moderate wet traction is important although I would rather and often tend to take it easy in the rain. I enjoy taking it through the twisty's on a dry day though. It's a GTI, and I drive it like one . I have great quality snows so it's purely a summer tire I'm interested in.

TIA!
    Last edited by Dubheaded; 03-05-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Play Underground.

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    I would recommend Falken 452's. I know alot of others on here have run them.
    "Nobody screws with Boris Grishenko, Spike them!"

Senior Member thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt's Avatar
    Falken 452's are a good tire, but if you are not stretching, the Hankook ventus v12 evo's are a little bit better (longevity and performance) for the same price. You say you are running Detroits, so i assume you are not looking to stretch.

Another fun option is the Hankook RS3's. Absolutely amazing performance in the dry, almost a track tire. However, they wont last you nearly as long as the v12's or 452's, and in the rain - they not so great, so slow down. Again, these are also in the same price range as the 452's.

Well, if I keep the detroits (which for all the things I'd rather do this year I think new wheels are out of the question), I'd rather put a nice tire on them for a couple years and enjoy them. I'm still trying to sort out if I can score a deal on some wheels, but it really looks like i'll be sticking with the detroits and going with springs and ECU flash.
    Play Underground.

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    I would not recomand 452's for high speed, or at least not for high power/torque. I found they broke free all the time on my chipped 2.0T and were not great in the rain either. The Toyo T1-R tires I had after were way better.

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    Ya I agree the T1-R are much better, but also 100+ more a tire...

Veteran Member pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga's Avatar
    I am currently running Yokohama S-Drive's on my BT 1.8T and they do a decent job putting the power down considering it's only a 205 up front. They are so good in the rain and wear decently, only downside I can find with the S-Drives is that they are on the pricey side... you can't beat 452's for the price IMHO.
    01 Golf 4dr 1.8T
    04 Passat Wagon

Senior Member thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt's Avatar
    My 452's always broke loose too.. and i could never figure out why... :P

But yea, T1R's are pricey. Thats what I wanted originally, but settled for 452's purely because of cost. I would definitely get them again, but not on a BT car. OP, check out Ventus V12's, i think they might be what you are looking for.

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    If rain driving is something to consider you could always look at Fuzion ZRi tires. I've had 2 sets and really liked them. Mind you I don't go 180 but they always handled good in the dry and really great in the wet.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    fuzion ZRi's are an awesome tire, i ran them on my turbo aba at 22psi, and they never once let me down, i loved them. i also tried the HRi's they handle pretty good too.
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Also I'm a huge fan of Nitto Neogens. But they're a good all around tire, not sticky or anything.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by xLilJayx View Post
    fuzion ZRi's are an awesome tire, i ran them on my turbo aba at 22psi, and they never once let me down, i loved them. i also tried the HRi's they handle pretty good too.
    lets get serious. these tires are fucking garbage
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Allen over at Simply Tire has a pretty good deal going on right now for Pirelli P-zero Nero M+S for $490 +tax installed. These normally go for around $750 a set, and the sale is on for another week or two. These guys are pretty similar to the Falken 912's - a pretty decent summer tire that will actually perform decently in the wet as well.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    lets get serious. these tires are fucking garbage
    QFT

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Also I'm a huge fan of Nitto Neogens. But they're a good all around tire, not sticky or anything.
    Pretty sure im getting those in a couple weeks

Ive heard a lot of good reviews

either those or the 452s
    24v

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    im looking fro some Neogens too. Do you know where your getting them Zuber?
    bankrupt.
    SymproCNC.com im for all your machining needs (spacers, center cap spikes etc)

I was going to order 2 of them from discountiredirect.com. It's $350 for 2 Canadian shipped and all duties and taxes paid. I've yet to find a better price on them.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    hmm wonder if we can get a bulk discount. I need 2 205.40s and 2 225/40
    bankrupt.
    SymproCNC.com im for all your machining needs (spacers, center cap spikes etc)

Michelin Pilot Super Sports?
    Play Underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubheaded View Post
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports?
    All michelins I have had performed terribly.

I've had neogens and 452's. I liked both of them. All i could comment on was that the 452's had a bit better grip but they wear a lot quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Dubber View Post
    hmm wonder if we can get a bulk discount. I need 2 205.40s and 2 225/40
    6 isn't really bulk though haha.

They DO have free shipping to Canada though. And they'll price match anyone online but it's worth a shot?
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    yea, im getting them from discounttire.com. Free shipping to canada? But how bad are duties?

Im was going to have them sent to buffalo

Im going to be ordering some time this month

[edit] $160 prepaid tarrif! BALLS. You can have them shipped to buffalo, and pay tax for them at the border.
    24v

True, but calculate, gas, time and tolls and you're not saving that much.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Regardless I ordered my 2 this morning. $340 shipped to my door taxes in. It's not that bad whatsoever considering taxes alone were probably $40 or so.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Senior Member Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33's Avatar
    I've been running 452s, since I bought my car, I go through them like nothing, and I find they're only awesome when new, once you're past 50% they feel like their completely bald.

If you drive aggresively I recommend some El- Cheapo Tires, as from my experience I have to replace them every year anyways.

Any recommendations for an El-Cheapo 300km/h rated tire?
    2005 GLI 1.8T|Foreign Automotive 519-894-9551| http://www.foreignautomotive.ca
    -----------------------------------------------
    Follow on: Facebook

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    RS3
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

So apparently you can't order Nitto Neogens into Canada. Some supplier has exclusive rights to selling the tire here. So dude at discount tire direct gave me Yoko S drives for $145/tire I can't complain.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    True, but calculate, gas, time and tolls and you're not saving that much.
    I guess depends where you live

100km round trip for me...no tolls...to save 100 bucks....no brainer
    24v

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    I guess depends where you live

100km round trip for me...no tolls...to save 100 bucks....no brainer
    Exactly, and when you are there fill up with gas for about a buck a litre and a case of beer for 20 bucks and your doing even better.

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Yup not to mention cheap eats in addition to the quick round trip, cheap gas and booze. Everything is cheap, so worth it

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

+ Reply to Thread