+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1992 Eurovan engine swap ideas

Senior Member Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko's Avatar

1992 Eurovan engine swap ideas

Hey everyone, looking for some advice on engine swap options for my 1992 eurovan, It has the inline 5 cylinder audi gas engine in it with the 5 speed manual transmission.I heard off other forums that before the audi engine was going to be put in they were going to use the mk3 1.8L non turbo'd engine in the eurovan and that it bolts right up to the 5 speed transmission I have right now. Anyone know more info on this or other engine options other than the diesel one offered. I'm just trying to see whats out there for the van before I put in a newer less tired 5 cylinder gas one in when spring comes around.

thanks

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    w12
    "Nobody screws with Boris Grishenko, Spike them!"

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    depends on what the transmission bellhousing bolt pattern is like, you may be able to drop in a b5 s4 biturbo v6 if it has the audi style trans. or an aan 5cyl turbo from a c4 s4.
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Senior Member Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    depends on what the transmission bellhousing bolt pattern is like, you may be able to drop in a b5 s4 biturbo v6 if it has the audi style trans. or an aan 5cyl turbo from a c4 s4.
    i heard that the pattern is the same for my 5 cylinder gas audi gas and the 1.8L 4cylinder.....hard for me to believe. I would love to swap in a 5 cylinder turbo setup from an s4 but not sure how that'll all fit with the turbo etc in such a small engine bay in this style of eurovan. i can't seem to find anyone swapping different engines into this van except for the diesel anywhere online.

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    is it possible to use a motor thats from an awd easily? the only awd car i have ever seen with the motor mounted horizontally is an evo.

well i was guna say there is a fwd 10v or 20v inline 5 cylinder from an audi 90 maybe that will work and turbo can be added to that setup.

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    yeah the 10v and 20v and AAN are all deviations from the same basic engine, heads can be swapped, turbo's added. and i don't see what the engine has to do with the awd system if the transmissions bolt up the same they should fit, since there's a 5cyl in there now. the v6 might be tight though since, it will be shorter then the 5 but wider.

you think the 10v or 20v audi 200 or s4 engines would bolt into the eurovan? as it is the inline 5 and then squeeze in the turbo etc.

since it is the same basic engine as the eurovan inline 5. cause swapping heads on my engine wouldn't be a good idea without a rebuild and i'd rather save the money and swap in a full engine.

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    the 1.8 mk3 cl motor is slow as molasses. It barely moved the MK3 let alone a van. Unless you're turboing it (which is still a waste) I would forget about that 90hp of furry.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Not entirely true.

The CL engine has the same engine dimensions as a mk2 GTI engine, but was choked down by the factory with that single port injection system and really crappy intake design. But there's potential there to make power, even for a dirty ol 8v. (8v motors can make power - I was hitting 16.2 at the track with mine, that's mk3 VR power, or crappy mk4 1.8t driver territory)

If the head were decked, and a new injection system put on... it could do some pretty awesome numbers for an old 8v. Although it's completely the wrong motor for pushing a heavy-ass van up an incline.

I know people aint made of money, but this gets my vote

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5587989

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahammer View Post
    is it possible to use a motor thats from an awd easily? the only awd car i have ever seen with the motor mounted horizontally is an evo.
    Never looked at a TT, R32, etc? There's lots of cars that are AWD with transverse engines.

Quote Originally Posted by BellCityDubber View Post
    Not entirely true.

The CL engine has the same engine dimensions as a mk2 GTI engine, but was choked down by the factory with that single port injection system and really crappy intake design. But there's potential there to make power, even for a dirty ol 8v. (8v motors can make power - I was hitting 16.2 at the track with mine, that's mk3 VR power, or crappy mk4 1.8t driver territory)

If you're going to deck the head, swap the fuel management, both manifolds, etc, just get a GTI 8v instead of SPI MK3 1.8L. 16.2 MK3 VR is a bad driver too, a good driver will hit a low 15, maybe 15 flat with good tires. Comparing apples to apples, a VR in a MKII will run a low 14 and a 1.8T would be even faster. That 8v engine in a van won't have any grunt at all.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    If you're going to deck the head, swap the fuel management, both manifolds, etc, just get a GTI 8v instead of SPI MK3 1.8L. 16.2 MK3 VR is a bad driver too, a good driver will hit a low 15, maybe 15 flat with good tires. Comparing apples to apples, a VR in a MKII will run a low 14 and a 1.8T would be even faster. That 8v engine in a van won't have any grunt at all.
    people may not have a RV or RD 8v, or have access to one, but an ACC 1.8 mk3 8v is much easier to find either on the road or in wrecking yards.
    no, 16.2 in a mk3 vr is a fucking horrible driver.... however I digress.

ben mentioned "slow as molasses, could barely move the mk3"....

yeah, it's easy to say an engine's slow when it's unmodified and it's potential is left untapped. ESPECIALLY if manifolds would probably have to be changed to get swapped into a eurovan ANYWAYS.

but will it move a van.... who knows.... but knowing that the eurovan has a 5cyl transmission for a bolt pattern.... I left the best option as a link at the bottom

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    2.7t with a single GT35. /end thread

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

I wish jurjen lol
    so best option would be the inline 5 with the turbo.

hmm
    well the audi motor should just drop in like how mine is right now probably less modification to get in than the 4 banger if anything, its just squeezing in the turbo setup that'll be the bitch?

the 20v and 20v turbo (AAN) should justbolt right in and the turbo isn't THAT big on them, but you'd have to size up how much spare soom you have the downside is that a decent AAN is still going for around $1200+ so you'd probably be best to either find a 20v head and rebuild your own engine and maybe add the turbo down the road if there's room

the only other thing i could think of putting in there would be a passat/A4 1.8t or as jurjen said 2.7t with a big turbo

not sure how i'd get an mk4 1.8t to fit in the van. didn't think the passat or a4 was any different size wise? i thought it was just mounted differently for the awd application
    same with the 2.7t engine its pretty big specially in the V style instead of the inline

Quote Originally Posted by Jurjen View Post
    2.7t with a single GT35. /end thread

That would make for an interesting exhaust manifold! that'd be awesome

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahammer View Post
    That would make for an interesting exhaust manifold! that'd be awesome
    It's been done

"A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

aaaccccttually..
    I had a look at a Eurovan on the weekend...

the bolt pattern is much like the VR bolt pattern. (top bolts are "forward leaning" like the VR6/V5 Bellhousing 02A/02J transmissions) I'm not sure the 4 cyl would fit, not without custom mounts to skew the installation angle, which would mess with the sump pickup in the pan...

BUT.... there's about 2-3 different 5 cylinder engines in the wrecking yard at the moment...
    so why not just swap the motor for a straight 5?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    I just thought of something, weren't that generation Eurovan's offered with a VR6 as well? Just swap in a VR6 and have the sexiest sounding van out there.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

the vans with the vr6 are the model after my eurovan.
    and im thinking of doin the 5 cylinder turbo setup from an audi 200 or so. since it'll bolt right up probably.

Senior Member Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurjen View Post
    It's been done

WOW thats crazy!
    2005 GLI 1.8T|Foreign Automotive 519-894-9551| http://www.foreignautomotive.ca
    -----------------------------------------------
    Follow on: Facebook

Holy moly!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information