+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decent 10" sub/amp combo

Member dmoe has a spectacular aura about dmoe has a spectacular aura about dmoe has a spectacular aura about

Decent 10" sub/amp combo

Looking at getting a decent 10" sub and amp combo. I am not a huge fan of too much bass, so i will have to buy a deck with sub control i think, but i have an mk3 gti so plan on trying to build the sub box and amp into each side of the trunk area, so there is still room for things. I guess my question is, what would you guys recommend? Anything i should stay away from? anyone have anything for sale i would be interested in??

Thanks guys
    98 s/c vr6

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    10" alpine type R and a matching alpine amp in a sealed box
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    I actually have 2 10" subs in a box I'd sell you for $50 if you're interested. They've been sitting at my parents house for a while and I have no use for them whatsoever as I have 2 new subs. They'd be perfect for an mk3, you'd just need a 500-800W amp to run them both.

I can upload a pic this morning..
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Member dmoe has a spectacular aura about dmoe has a spectacular aura about dmoe has a spectacular aura about
    sure upload a pic. I really only need one sub as i plan on building it into the sides of the trunk......what are the specs on the subs?
    98 s/c vr6

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    It's a pic I have right now. I'll dig around and see if I can get you more info.

Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

It all depends how much money you want to spend. An Alpine TypeR 10 (new model SWR-1023D) and a MRX-M50 will sound great together and cost ~$500 it. It can hit lots of lows while keeping a quality sound.
    here are the good brands:
    JL Audio, Alpine, Pioneer PREMIER, Focal, RE Audio, Kicker, Memphis (my personal favorite), id stay away from MTX as ive blown countless MTX subs running what they recommend, in the car audio world its always you get what you pay for.

I hear ya, that you get what you pay for. I always like spending a little extra to get something of better quality. I have always been that way. so if i need to spend a little more to get a type r with matching amp, i will keep my eye out for one.
    98 s/c vr6

I always have liked the sound of a single 10, but a single type r 12" wouldnt sound too bad either right. I could keep the bass to a minimum right?
    98 s/c vr6

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    Im sorry but you dont get a sub to keep the bass to a minimum....
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ss-Bundle.html

This is a great combo for the loot, also if you just want a little bit of bass but stupid clarity a quality 4 channel amp and 2 sets of Component speakers would also do the job well.

That does look like a nice combo.....there is an alpine combo with the 10" sub as well that looks pretty good....Any recommended decks? not looking for anything fancy.....something to do the job well with a setup like the one thabozz listed above
    98 s/c vr6

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    again anything alpine

the good ones start @ 300ish

Right. But what about the ones in to $200 range if I don't need Bluetooth
    98 s/c vr6

they have less options to tune the sound. no HPF on the deck output.

will still be fine.

Picked up some stuff on kijiji today.

2-10" alpine type R subs in an Alpine ported box
    1 Kenwood kas 9252d amp
    1 alpine cda-117

Picked it all up for just under $500, i think its a good deal as it was local and didnt have to travel to pick it up......now i just need to order all the necessary wiring components to hook it up
    98 s/c vr6

good deal??
    98 s/c vr6

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    the subs go for $240+ each, the deck is about $100, anything kenwood should only be used as a paperweight but i assume you got a box with the subs too, not a big expense but still, if the gear hasn't been beat to hell then it should be good for a while. just me but i'd ditch that amp for something better. had you shopped around online for sales and whatnot you probably could have gotten new stuff for close to that price tag.

ie: i just picked up an alpine cda-120 for $78 brand new from visions electronics, 2, 600w MB Quart mono amps that i got for $98 each bought from the same place, and i have 2, 12" kicker comp subs that i got on sale at best buy for $299 in a box. i then put 1 sub and amp in my car and the other sub and amp in the wifes car, they sound awesome.
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Ya I shopped around a bit that deck is still going for $300 on sonicelectronix. Andthe subs are in good shape. I may swap the kenwood amp out for something alpine. Not sure yet
    Last edited by dmoe; 02-03-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    98 s/c vr6

CDA-117 was the top of the line non-video alpine deck in 2011 and sold for ~ 300 new and is a GREAT deck, I suggest investing in the Alpine IMPRINT Sound processor unit. I used the Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint in my old Audi A6 SQ (sound quality) competition car and it really does a good job at getting that extra bit of pure audiophile quality sound. Also if in the future you want to add some good component speakers and not go with a 4 Channel amp you can add the Alpine Power Pack and get 45W RMS x 4. As long as the subs are the newest or last generation type R's the setup has paid for itself there. Also that kenwood is not a paper weight just the low end shit is. Good deal you got right there.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information