+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throttle body to individual carb conversion. help!

Junior Member dekker97 is on a distinguished road

Throttle body to individual carb conversion. help!

Hello everyone, ive got a 97 golf 2.0 5 speed. What I am looking to do is remove and eliminate the stock intake system right from the air box to the upper intake manifold. Eavung only the lower. What I want to do is take that, and have 4 carborators attached, this would be eiminating the fuel injectors as well.
    Now, I am wondering how I would go about this, can I do it myself or should I be having it done professionally? I have been told to use motorcycle carbs and filters. Any input is greatly appreciated!!
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Senior Member Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dekker97 View Post
    Hello everyone, ive got a 97 golf 2.0 5 speed. What I am looking to do is remove and eliminate the stock intake system right from the air box to the upper intake manifold. Eavung only the lower. What I want to do is take that, and have 4 carborators attached, this would be eiminating the fuel injectors as well.
    Now, I am wondering how I would go about this, can I do it myself or should I be having it done professionally? I have been told to use motorcycle carbs and filters. Any input is greatly appreciated!!
    Do you mean Independent Throttle bodies?
    2005 GLI 1.8T|Foreign Automotive 519-894-9551| http://www.foreignautomotive.ca
    -----------------------------------------------
    Follow on: Facebook

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    What's the reason for wanting to do this? The stock 8v head kinda sucks, you would be far better off doing this with a 2L 16v engine.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

@Dejan33 - the individual throttle body I was looking at aswell. Then I was told that this is a better way to go performance wise. Also, it is cheaper to buy. That is why I am inquiring avout this. Because I am not sure how much it would cost to have the fuel injection removed and switched over.

Here is the throtte bodys
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...id=28569786828

And here are the carbs
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...id=86219292271
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...id=86219292271

@Dejan33-That is the carb setup ^^^ I was told to go this way over the throttle boddies which I have also looked into. I am still unsure as to which way is better performance wise. The carbs are cheaper to buy, but I dont know if it will become morw expensive than the throttle boddies after install due to having to eliminate the fuel injection.

@wparsons-I want to do one of these to get more performance out of my engine than a cold or ram air. Even with a bored out single throttle body. I dont have the cash to get a bigger engine dropped in as it stands.

Any other ideas?

Also, here is the throttle body setup vvv

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...id=15284815899

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    his reply posts need to be approved for us to see them, he was thinking along the lines of these, or bike carbs - carbs would be eliminating the fuel injection system though im assuming, as the picture i attached of ITB seems as though it would still be used.

Last edited by xLilJayx; 11-27-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    my question is why? a 2.0 8v engine as Will said, really kinda sucks, you're not gonna see any hp gains from it, if anything you're gonna be removing any reliability the old 8v has left. this is a far more common swap on 16v engines and its more for the person who is going to add a lightened valve train and cams to get the engine to rev out more. it can be done yourself if you have fabrication abilities and some machine shop tools at your disposal as well as a healthy knowledge of bike carbs as you will have to remove the main jet and drill it out to allow for enough fuel flow to run an engine twice the size it was designed for.
    you will need to chop up a lower intake manifold and have the fuel injetor holes plug welded, and also somehow modify the manifold or/and the carb setup to fit. bottom line is its not pratical if you're gonna daily drive it.
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Alright. Carbs are a terrible idea then. What about gettung an individual throttle body setup then? Im not only doing thus to get more performance, but to also stand out from the common cold/ram air intakes people get. Still a terrible idea?

Also, is there any way to have this setup and be able to have it pass emissions? Or would I be screwed for that?

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    Don't say it is a terrible idea. It is just not very plausible. I think it would be difficult to pass emissions because you would be tuning four carbs at once and the venturi's in carbs don't have the same fuel/air mixing ability as multi orifice injector would so you would end up using more fuel to make the same power resulting in worse emissions.
    "Nobody screws with Boris Grishenko, Spike them!"

So what about ind. throttle bodies? The ony thing wrong with doin that I find would also be emmisions due to improper crank case ventillation. Also, would I be screwing mysef by bypassing the MAF sensor?

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    anyone who knows their way around a set of carbs can tune them to pass emissions testing. i have the proper tools myself to sync, and tune bike carbs, there would be a little trial and error getting it perfect but you get that with everything. if you want to stand out from the crowd i'd be building an 2.0l 8v block with a 16v head, lightweight valvetrain running on carbs or itb's with megasquirt stand alone, and getting that bitch to rev out to about 9 or 10,000 rpm. that will get you noticed!!
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Yeah its possible to tune them right, but it still wouldnt pass the visual because of the crankcase ventillation would it? Also, what would I do about that MAF sensor? I think id go itb route now however. And what would be involved with putting a 16v head on it? What else woud I have to change? Or would it be pretty much bolt on? And ecu wise aswell?

And what is a megasquirt stand alone??

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Megasquirt is a budget standalone.

Running carbs like this will drop your fuel economy, and make it a bitch to drive in cold weather. Kris (flinstone) had a carb'd ABA in his rabbit, but it was a summer only car. He wasn't running bike carbs though IIRC.

ITB's will require a lot of tuning on a standalone, and will likely cost you about $3-$5k by the time it's done and running unless you have a machine shop and do all the tuning/work yourself.

The real benefit to carbs/ITB's comes when you're running high compression and long/big lift cams, revving much higher than stock. If you're just after a bit more power, it's a total waste of time/money IMO.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Alright. Looks like it just seems like a rather large waste of money and time for my car as of now. Somethung to ook into in the future with something a little bigger.

Thanks guys

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    This thread is foocking garbage
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    This thread is foocking garbage
    Thanks for that insightful comment :P

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information