+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EGR vs. race pipe

New Member L1on0fJudah is on a distinguished road

Question EGR vs. race pipe

I just purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI a few days ago, it is my first diesel. I purchased it with the check engine light on, the gentleman I purchased it from said that it was "an emissions issue", I did get the vehicle for $400 less due to the engine light being on (as well as the air bag light). Anyways... I do not have a VW dealer in my area so I went to Tires Plus and they said the code was for an EGR valve, and it was going to cost $426 to fix it! I said, yeah right I will figure out something else! What I have found in my hunt for "how-to" is multiple mentions of replacing the EGR with a race pipe. This leads me to a multitude of other questions. Is replacing the EGR valve with a race pipe a good idea? Does it increase or decrease my mpg? If I do replace it with a race pipe and cooler delete kit (http://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_EGR_s/1834.htm), how do I get my check engine light to stay off? I do not have access to a mod shop - can I override the computer in the Jetta to not recognize the EGR is modified without shelling out a lot of ?

FYI - I do not mind releasing extra NOx into the atmosphere if replacing the EGR gets me better mpg! LOL!

Any info on this would be most appreciated! Thanks

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    a race pipe should not affect your mpg. EGRs on a diesel are just plain stupid, they are the major culprit in blocking intakes since they recirculate so much soot and oil. the only way to have the CEL (check engine light) turned off for this issue is to have the egr disabled. i had mine disabled thru the upgraded tune that i had installed in my TDI. I am not sure if it can be done purely thru VagCom.

If your interested I have my old EGR that i will sell you, it worked when i took it off.

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    you can try taking your EGR off, and giving it a good cleaning. Im willing to bet its completely caked with soot, as well as your intake manifold. You can "reduce" the EGR via vag-com, but you cant turn it off completely. You would need an aftermarket tune for that

I ran a DG Race pipe years ago and it was fine. Always had a CEL though
    24v

Veteran Member TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race's Avatar
    race pipe is the way to go
    Volkswagens aren't my thing

Thanks all for the replies! I am leaning toward the pipe now and am corresponding with Mark from Malone Tuning about an EGR delete tune. Is there anything else I should know about tuning before I order a tune? Everything is stock as far as I can tell.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    the sooner you chip it the sooner you will have a big smile on your face!

Ordered the pipe and cooler bypass kit (figured I might as well take that out as well, since it is not needed after I take out the EGR). Does anyone know of any good diagrams that would be able to show me how to remove the EGR valve and cooler? I am having some issues with finding a good one. Lots of YouTube videos, but can't find one that actually shows anything in detail.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information