+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Limp mode

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar

Limp mode

My car seems to keep going into limp mode alot, going up hills that I would normally be able to go up in 5th I now have the drop a gear and it still struggles to get up the hill, It has no power at all I can't take it on the hwy because it doesn't get up to speed in time to not get run over. The only CEL is glow plug and its been on forever, I have noticed alot of my vacuum lines don't look that nice could that cause limp mode.or any other ideas would be good. thanks

Senior Member Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33's Avatar
    What engine?
    2005 GLI 1.8T|Foreign Automotive 519-894-9551| http://www.foreignautomotive.ca
    -----------------------------------------------
    Follow on: Facebook

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    If it was really limp mode you would have a flashing CEL. If it's a TDI, is the manifold gunked up with carbon? Is the turbo making a lot of noise?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejan33 View Post
    What engine?
    Sorry TDI (AHU I think) , 98
    Last edited by j3ttamaster; 08-07-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    If it was really limp mode you would have a flashing CEL. If it's a TDI, is the manifold gunked up with carbon? Is the turbo making a lot of noise?
    ya so I guess from what your saying its not limp mode because its not showing codes, turbo doesn't seem to be making a lot noise, the problem almost seems intermittent sometimes it has normal amount of power and 2mins later weak as hell, I do have a lot oil around the intake and valve cover area

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I don't know if it's related since I'm not familiar with MK3's, but my sister had a similar issue on her 2000 Golf TDI. When she put it to the floor the car just didn't go anywhere.

Turned out to be a burnt MAF that actually toasted part of the air filter, that could have been bad. VW repaired it under a "silent recall" (ie they only fix it if people complain).

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I don't know if it's related since I'm not familiar with MK3's, but my sister had a similar issue on her 2000 Golf TDI. When she put it to the floor the car just didn't go anywhere.

Turned out to be a burnt MAF that actually toasted part of the air filter, that could have been bad. VW repaired it under a "silent recall" (ie they only fix it if people complain)

The MAF would throw a code, I would think and I have No code

When she put it to the floor the car just didn't go anywhere
    same problem

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Hers didn't throw a code

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    my buddies mk4 TDI has this same issue, i unplugged his MAF and told him to go for a boot and he didn't have the problem anymore... he replaced the MAF, and no more issues - try unplugging your MAF sensor and going for a run and see if it still has the issue... worth a shot - also his wasn't throwing a maf code either
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

Hers didn't throw a code
    Quote Originally Posted by xLilJayx View Post
    my buddies mk4 TDI has this same issue, i unplugged his MAF and told him to go for a boot and he didn't have the problem anymore... he replaced the MAF, and no more issues - try unplugging your MAF sensor and going for a run and see if it still has the issue... worth a shot - also his wasn't throwing a maf code either
    K, its worth a try.

side note: I did replaced my DRY coned filter with a Oiled KN a month or two ago and Ive been told about the MAFs not like the oil from filters
    so if this works I guess its self inflicted.

I've been running an oiled cold air intake for years and haven't lost a MAF. You might have over-oiled it.

You can wash them out with 99% rubbing alcohol but there's no guarantee it'll work. Take the MAF out of the housing and put it in a plastic bag with alcohol. Swish gently. Let dry completely and reinstall.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ Bingo!

A MAF problem is much worse on a TDI than other engines since diesels are throttled by adding more fuel with more air. If it doesn't think there's much air it won't get enough fuel which = no power. On a gas engine the O2 sensor would tell the ECU it's running lean and add more fuel.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    ^^ Bingo!

A MAF problem is much worse on a TDI than other engines since diesels are throttled by adding more fuel with more air. If it doesn't think there's much air it won't get enough fuel which = no power. On a gas engine the O2 sensor would tell the ECU it's running lean and add more fuel.
    HMMM! make sense.

so dumb question but is the MAF the same on a tdi and gas models of same era (e.g. 2.0lt)?
    just wondering cause i have a spare from a 2.0 and if its the same I could just swap them out and see if there's a difference, I wouldn't think so but i guess it a shot.

Oh and I noticed that when holding around 2600-2900rpm it sputters for a quick second, don't know if this is a related problem or a different problem.

I'm not sure on that, you'd have to look up part numbers or hope someone that knows for sure posts up.
    flickr

OK just want to start by saying THANKS to ALL that put in there input ( this is why this forum is SO.. much better then all the rest)

it seems that I have found the problem, turns out that the hose on the intake split on the bottom of it. cant explain why it seemed it would feel fine one time and not the next but who cares

anyways wrapped the hose in duct tape to get home (boy what a difference in power), phone VW $134.00 seems a little high for 8'' of hose so need to see if someone else has it cheaper

also thinking about dropping the car of Friday to have intake taken off and cleaned A LOT of carbon build up happening in there.

Once again THANKS for all your help...

For the Q I asked about the MAF sensors on a TDI and 2.0 I asked because I was reading Heated debates about it, just wanted to see in anyone knew how true it was.

It wouldn't surprise me if the sensor was the same, a lot of VW MAF sensors are the same, just in different housings.

Is it a charge pipe or the inlet pipe? If it's a charge pipe, I would maybe look at getting a hard (metal) pipe.
    flickr

its the hose directly off the intake body (rubber) goes to the the plastic piping that leads to the Air to Air I mean inter-cooler

So no power again
    Does anyone know what sizes are the vacuum hoses on a 98 TDI I see 2 sizes just don't Know the exact sizes?

these code showed up (65535) (00575) any ideas
    as far as what to look for would be great

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information