+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MKIII Diesel Noob with Noob Questions (easy)

New Member kevn is on a distinguished road

MKIII Diesel Noob with Noob Questions (easy)

Hey people

I just picked up a 97 jetta td to cut my current fuel bill down which is currently bettween 90-100 a week in a 04 ranger fx4.

Ive never owned a VW although Ive wanted one since the a2s were fairly new.

I always loved the 16v Scirroco's and g60 Corrado's but fell into Dodge turbo cars and after that DSM's Jeeps.

Anyways Im very green when it comes to Diesel engines I know basically how they work. but what I dont know is what I need to know to keep one alive.

The one I just bought was told has 60,000km's, then discovered ya right more like 360,000km's.

Anyways the questions

Where is a good place to do some research on maintaining this thing?

What oils, filters, additives yada yada yada

Best parts sources. Canada preferably

Is it at all a benefit to ad an intercooler to it in stock form? I think I have a stock talon side mount kicking around so it would be a free mod.

Info on getting the most fuel economy (injector swaps/ pump upgrades/ vegie oil)

Ive done a bit of searching but theres so much TDI crap out there it makes it a pain to find IDI info.

At the very least some research links would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help that could be offered

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    I thought 97's had the TDI engine? Was the switch part way through the year, or was it 98?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Im no expert but Im 99% sure its not a tdi.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    You could definitely get the TDI in 1997, but I can't find for sure if the IDI was still available. I can't tell you how to visually differentiate the two engines though, sorry!
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race's Avatar
    Both were available, td's were not intercooled, tdi's had a small side mounted in the left corner.

There's also a mechanical cable actuator for the IDI pump while the TDI is electronically controlled
    Volkswagens aren't my thing

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevn View Post

Anyways the questions

Where is a good place to do some research on maintaining this thing?
    http://www.tdiclub.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TDI_race View Post
    Both were available, td's were not intercooled, tdi's had a small side mounted in the left corner.

There's also a mechanical cable actuator for the IDI pump while the TDI is electronically controlled
    Well I have a cable going to the dash that I assume controls the pump for cold start up, for pump timming? One bad thing is when I bought the car I tested it out with that handle pulled out and it ran fine. I started it yesterday and pushed the handle in and it barely wants to run and blows smoke out the back like mad.

Thanks guys

Ive been searching so much I'm dreaming of diesels in m sleep hahaha

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar
    I have a TDI, but if you look around HERE! you can find a small amount of info regarding the mechanical pumps,
    look for gilles super pumps, I think?

New Member Double Timan is on a distinguished road
    Calgary Alberta (Summer) & Kingston Ontario (Winter)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevn View Post
    Well I have a cable going to the dash that I assume controls the pump for cold start up, for pump timming? One bad thing is when I bought the car I tested it out with that handle pulled out and it ran fine. I started it yesterday and pushed the handle in and it barely wants to run and blows smoke out the back like mad.

Thanks guys

Ive been searching so much I'm dreaming of diesels in m sleep hahaha
    I know this is an old post but thought I might help someone new searching this.

As mentioned TDIs have electronic pumps and intercoolers; of course by name they also use direct injection and have no prechambers. From your description of the timing advance pull out you definitely have a TD engine the TDIs automatically adjust timing for cold starts and both throttle setting and timing advance are controlled by the wiring harness attachment from the ECU. You likely have an AAZ engine which can be read on a sticker in the trunk with the spare tire. IZ and AHU engines are TDI (MKIII) with the primary difference being the turbocharger supplier.

As to your comment about it smoking when you push in the timing advance this could be caused by two things (or both):

It is very possible that the injectors are worn which results in a poor spray pattern and incomplete combustion (noticed by you as smoke) This can be fixed by replacing them (Kerma TDI has good deals I have made use of)

It is also possible that the injection timing is off which means the advanced position is now correct for normal running or close enough to it and the "normal position" has become retarded over time. This is quite possibly linked to the wearing of the injectors or the pump internals but if you are looking to just correct the problem adjusting the pump timing is likely the cheapest fix.

The timing adjustment is made by unbolting the pump from its mounting in a plate off the side of the engine and rotating it toward the direction of rotation to advance (what you need to do) or away to retard (which you will likely have to do as you use trial and error to get it to run right).

It is a simple but tedious process... basically mark the current position which is far from a precise thing since its just mounted in slots to allow movement but it gives a good idea of where you started. Loosen the bolts that hold it (one or two are kind of under and behind the pump which you need an extension and potentially the use of the force to find (mirrors work well too) The bolts only need to be a turn or two loose so that it can slide around. Pry or tap the pump so that it rotates just a bit (it doesn't need to move much) and tighten it down. Ease your way towards smokeless. You want it to be advanced enough it doesn't smoke with the advance pushed in while warm but no more advanced then that since it will run hot and over stress the engine internals.

For those with a TDI (I have an IZ), you are just finding the right position for the self adjustment to work properly and the current timing can be read using a scan tool to get an idea of whats going on. I don't know if there is a scan tool readout for timing on the AAZ engines (since I don't have one) but a search for how to time it would show that. Rolling the pump should work the same way since I know the pumps share housing castings etc and are essentially the same internally with the exception of the electronic actuating mechanism in the TDI. The visual inspection will tell you if the timing is retarded and try to stay away from going too far into the advanced region.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information