+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mortgage question?

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar

Mortgage question?

Ok I'm not really sure where to put this topic but I figured near the home owners thread might be a good start. My soon to be wife and I will be looking at either condos or townhouses (so we'll have to pay fees on top of mortgages). Houses in TO in the area we're looking at are non-existent or total garbage for big $$.

What mortgage type does everyone have? Basically I'm looking for advice as I'd like to buy in the next year but don't really know where to start.

Ideally I'd like to have 15% down if possible. I'm figuring a max Mortgage of 400K over 20 years if possible.

It seems that the interest rate is the key factor here. It can save (or cost) you hundreds of thousands over the life of your mortgage. I want to play my cards right to get the best possible rate (don't we all though?). What is everyone going off of now?

Maybe this is a too personal type of topic as it deals with finances but I'm sure there's ways to give advice without spilling too much details.

Tia.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Member amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w's Avatar
    wow Ben. 400 over 20 years? Tim's paying the big bucks eh! Interest rates a killer right now, let's hope they stay this low when you're ready to settle down with a mortgage! Remember though, the first year is all interest payments, sucks to see hardly a dent in the mortgage, but it starts going down after a while. Good luck!

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Well with dual income right now and no kids, it's only a couple hundred more then what I'm paying for rent anyways. If you can get a mortgage rate around 3% it's doable, 5.5% it's a stretch (difference of 4-500/month right there).

And Tim doesn't pay that much for the hours put in. I hate to see my hourly rate..
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    MortgageMonster.ca Give those guys a try, they will work to get you the best possible price. Also, with mortgage rates as low as they are right now, I would definitely go with a variable term mortgage.

Good luck!
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    Why not go 30 or 35 years?
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

so I can pay an extra $200,000 in interest? No thanks. 30-35 years is not smart way to get a mortgage IMO.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    Ok, i was just wondering, monthly payments end up much lower that way, but you are right at the end of the term you pay much more interest than on a 20yr one..
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Get yourself a Mortgage Broker.

Since you've got dual income, I'd take the risk and go ahead and get a variable interest loan.

Interests rates are approaching 4% on fixed rate, while variable rates are in the 2.5% area.

Also, consider bi-weekly payments. Going bi-weekly over the term of a mortgage can short it by years!

Lastly, try to be modest in choosing a home. You don't need a half million dollar home as your 1st house - you're likely to only stay there less than 5 years anyway, and being house-poor sucks!

Good luck!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for the info Jurjen. I'd love to only spend 200K if that was even an option for Toronto (or within the area that I'm looking with what I need). Condos range from 330-400+ so I figured $400 as the complete highest I could deal with. I'd rather find something in the low 300's but that will be a stretch to be honest.

The only thing with Variable is that if it goes up so does the cost. I know that there's a 'rate-capper' at 5.xxx%. I guess either way is a gamble right?
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member SR20DET is on a distinguished road SR20DET's Avatar
    I've been variable for 7 years, 0.7% below prime, and the highest interest I've paid is like 3.5%, and that was at the beginning. It's dropped since then and stayed steady for years.

Remember to keep CMHC in mind. Without 25% down, there are fees to pay.
    Dave

2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2011 Kia Sorento AWD

Yeah I was looking at them. I thought it was 20%? Chances are I'll have pay them unfortunately. Hopefully it's only 1% instead of 2-2.5
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Thanks for the info Jurjen. I'd love to only spend 200K if that was even an option for Toronto (or within the area that I'm looking with what I need). Condos range from 330-400+ so I figured $400 as the complete highest I could deal with. I'd rather find something in the low 300's but that will be a stretch to be honest.

The only thing with Variable is that if it goes up so does the cost. I know that there's a 'rate-capper' at 5.xxx%. I guess either way is a gamble right?
    Don't make the same mistake I did. I went with a fixed rate, and I'm kicking myself in the ass for it. I have since switched to a variable rate, not only is my mortgage payments lower, my mortgage will be paid faster and I will pay less interest. Go with a variable, if you think interest rates are getting high, just lock yourself in. I used MortgageMonster.ca they were helpful and found me a really good rate. I shopped around, I know.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    Lots of good points in here...

If you can swing it, id wait till you can save up for a 20% downpayment. There are online calculators for what CMHC would end up costing you on 400k, I suggest you take a look, the amount is retarded.

If you have a 20% downpayment, you can qualify for a Home Equity Line of Credit, depending on the deal you are able to get at a bank, this can save you thousands of dollars a year. If your bank has fixed rate HELOCs, this is usually an even better deal. they are usually called FRAO (Fixed rate advantage option). The reason why I like a HELOC vs a traditional mortgage is in the way the interest is calculated. A mortgage interest is calculated vastly in favour of the lender, so, you barely scratch your principle within for first 5 year period. With a HELOC, it calculates interest daily.

Like Jurjen said, chose a bi-weekly payment schedule. They usually have a rapid and non-rapid option. Go for the Bi-weekly Rapid if you can swing it, its going to be like an extra 20-50 bucks a payment, but will save you ~200-500 a year in interest.

In terms of what you can and cannot afford, thats up to you. Talk to banks and mortgage brokers. Monster mortgage is really good, but they will usually only work with a mortgage and not a HELOC. HELOCs, depending on how aggressive you want to be with your payments, will without a doubt pay down your principle the fastest, especially if you do a FRAO

If you do get a mortgage, definitely get the variable. Throughout the course of the last 25 years, variable has been drastically lower every year, with the exception of like 2 years

Lastly, if you do a 35 year ammoratization, dont take 35 years to pay your mortgage. This is only good if you want to lower your monthly payment, but, at the sacrifice of drasticly more interest paid, but, if you make lump sum payments to your mortgage (typically, your allowed to make 1 lump sum payment to a max of 15% of your principle a year without penalty), in any case, id stay clear of a 35 year.
    24v

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Can you even get a 35 year mortgage anymore? I thought they did away with that in the changes they made in March.

I also made the mistake of going fixed (twice) for the compfort of knowing it would never go up on me. When I close on my new house in Oct we will be paying the fine to break the mortgage and get over into a super low variable. We got our mortgage lady's son his first engineering job so she owes us. I'm hoping for a Prime minus .8-.9

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    yea, pretty sure 35 year amm. is gone
    24v

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Not related to the mortgage, but find someone that has good insight into what pockets of the city are the best to buy now to sell when you figure you'll be selling. There's some places that are dirt cheap and good areas, and will be worth a ton more in ~5 years.

You can get a lot more condo for $200k in Leslieville than you can get for $350k right in the core and your profit in a few years will likely be higher.

A friend at work is getting a nicer townhouse in the west end (new build, ground hasn't been broken yet) for less than he sold his townhouse at Yonge/Sheppard for. I'll try to find out the name of the subdivision/builder if you want.

We went as far north as Thornhill because for half the price you got almost twice the space and our mortgage/condo fees/taxes actually come out to a couple hundred less per month than our rent was at Yonge/Davisville. It's also really convenient for me being a 5 minute drive from the 407 to get to Mississauga for work.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Thanks for all the info. Regarding areas, we wanting to be within a 20-30min max TTC commute so we can't go that far. (I'm at Queen's Park, wife is at Jarvis/King). Right now from Bathurst/Lakeshore it already takes 20-25mins so it's pushing it to go to areas like the Beaches or Leslieville. Plus we love how close everything is in the downtown core. With no babies 'planned' in the next 5 years it's an ideal location until we want to start a family.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    yea, pretty sure 35 year amm. is gone
    i dunno, my folks got a house in march with 35yr...
    www.Novustech.ca

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    Ben,

Me and the wife did 25 year term. Right now, our rate is variable prime minus 0.8. (2.2%). Ability to pay off up to 15% of our principle once a year.

We put 25 % down and love it. we still can afford to do renovations, travel, etc...

Make sure you have lots of money for start up costs, etc... about $10,000 for a buffer. Then again, you've been renting so yoou have most of the stuff you need.

I've been following the market and news. It seems like BoC doesn't know what it's doing. Their stats seem to be coming from out of the sky.

They said they will be hiking the rates a few weeks ago. Now they are saying they will be remaining the same. Read up on B of C and the rates. Also, talk to a broker. They are full of knowledge. Try Chris Chromiak at Total Mortgage 360.
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Regarding areas, we wanting to be within a 20-30min max TTC commute so we can't go that far. (I'm at Queen's Park, wife is at Jarvis/King). Right now from Bathurst/Lakeshore it already takes 20-25mins so it's pushing it to go to areas like the Beaches or Leslieville. Plus we love how close everything is in the downtown core. With no babies 'planned' in the next 5 years it's an ideal location until we want to start a family.

Hahaha!

Leslieville was just an example, but there are lots of pockets that should fit your commute requirements that are much better values than others. I can tell you to stay away from the Davisville or Eglinton area, prices there are just absurd ($700k for a townhouse!).
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ipop07 View Post
    I believe it changed at some point during March.

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    ===== QUOTE ipop07 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

I believe it changed at some point during March.
    That is correct sir.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt's Avatar
    Lots of info here, thanks. Carry on!

right on...im thinking of getting a new place too next year, this is good info for me too
    www.Novustech.ca

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be dealing with a broker for sure.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    fyi, the best deal I seen was was a few months back (after I signed my papers) through scotia bank. It was prime - 0.9% (2.1%) for 5 year term.
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

wow, I'll have to keep my eyes open then all over!
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    i got 3.69 fixed 5-yr earlier this year, pretty sure fixed rates are around the same still

i know the variable is a better deal right now, but i prefer always knowing what the payment will be, easier to budget that way
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information