+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanna lower my 1991 passat...

New Member vdub16v is on a distinguished road

Cool Wanna lower my 1991 passat...

I need my 91' passat an inch or two lower. Any suggestions on how to do it? or where to go around the kitchener-waterloo region to purchase?
    What are the cheapest ways and more expensive ways of doing it?

Senior Member chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix's Avatar
    cheap way - Springs
    Expensive way - Coils
    08 A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro 6 Speed
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W
    loading HATERS.....99% ████████████████]

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    improper way - springs
    proper way - coils / springs and shocks
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    What all the cool kids are doing:

Quote Originally Posted by ipop07 View Post
    improper way - springs
    proper way - coils / springs and shocks
    It's a 91 passat, which is probably not worth more than a coil setup would cost. Not trying to diss the OPs car.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    What all the cool kids are doing:

been there done that...never doing it again, nor would I recommend it unless youre only cutting half a coil or one coil max (0.5-1" drop) more than that it'll be stupid bouncy, wont sit right and will creek and you'll end up buying a proper setup anyway..

I agree with the coilovers possibly not being worth it...depends on the OP's car
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    I was joking about cutting springs.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Senior Member chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix's Avatar
    buy a good used setup shouldnt run more than 200$
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W

Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    I was joking about cutting springs.
    oh i know..i was tires, i guess i thought i needed to be the voice of reason lol..im pretty sure the OP knows better than that..
    www.Novustech.ca

Cut? lol im not that cheap. finding used for the year and make will be tough.
    dont dis the 91' ricas...runs good and aint an eye sore. lol

You should check out JOM, they might have something
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Ric was just suggesting that you probably don't want to put $1600+ coilovers on it, nothing against the car!

I disagree that the only right way is coilovers, there are plenty of GOOD spring/strut combos out there that are BETTER than lots of coilovers in both performance and comfort.

How much lower do you want to go? If you just want to lower it once and never adjust it then springs are a better alternative IMO. There's lots of good "cup kit" options out there that come with springs/struts, just add mounts and drop it.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

I hear ya parsons. I prolly wanna go an inch maybe inch and a half tops. what would you recommend?
    and im not sure what you mean by "cup kit"?

i agree...springs and struds, not just springs...well even so the struts will come eventually as the oem will poop quickly
    www.Novustech.ca

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ Not true, it all depends on the spring rate of the new springs and how old the original struts were. If you go with a mild drop (1.5" is mild) with a spring thats close to to stock rates and good condition stock struts you will be fine. The problem is that most people put higher rate springs on almost blown stock struts and wonder why they blew so fast. Some manufacturers recommend replacing the shocks/struts at about 100k km's or less, if you've got 200k on the originals don't be surprised that they blew

VW is selling "drivers gear" springs for MKVI golfs (not sure about other models), and you retain the full warranty on your suspension with a pretty big drop. I doubt they would be doing that if the struts would blow shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by vdub16v View Post
    I hear ya parsons. I prolly wanna go an inch maybe inch and a half tops. what would you recommend?
    and im not sure what you mean by "cup kit"?
    Cup kits are springs and struts sold as a package, like this:

http://www.amimotorsports.com/store/..._detail&p=1001

Just add new upper mounts and bolt the new assemblies into the car and toss the old ones (or sell if in good shape).
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information