+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 98 passat making creaking noises when cranking steering wheel to the right

Junior Member show_time_23 is on a distinguished road

98 passat making creaking noises when cranking steering wheel to the right

My cv boot tore and my axle went bad, i needed to save some money to replace both axles so i continued driving the car in this bad condition, within a few weeks i started hearing this creaking sound when i turn the wheel only to the right (left cv axle went bad before right) doesn't sound like a belt and my fluid is topped up, i figured it would go away once i replaced the axles, well i jus replaced them today but the sound is still there, would this happen if my control arm needed to be replaced? what are some other tell tale signs? because it also sounds like the left wheel (where the creaking is coming from) isn't too stable when i hit bumps especially at really slow speeds. I also replaced the outter tie rod end on the left side too. and when i make sharp right turns i hear a slight clank here and there. Thanks for the help.

-Salah

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    could be
    1. wheel bearing
    2. control arm bushings
    3. strut mount
    4.sway bar end links/bushings

wheel bearing will make a whirrring/grinding noise while driving, with the noise changing in pitch with relation to vehicle speed

control arm bushings will "rattle" over bumps and rough roads as will sway bar end links and bushings

and strut mounts will make noise as you are turning the wheel, as it will be moving the spring in the perch, which it is not supposed to do.

one of these things has to be your problem
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Okay so i dont think it's the wheel bearing because it doesnt make that grinding sound, but it does rattle over bumps and make a creaking noise durring slow turns to the right (gets really loud when reversing and turning right) Also i can feel the left tire shake (or pulsate really rapidly, i dont think the wheel itself is shaking) when stepping on the brakes going at a speed of 80km/hr or higher while doing a right hand turn. Hope that narrows the options for diagnosis. Thanks.

Junior Member ryanbruce is on a distinguished road ryanbruce's Avatar
    Just out of curiousity, are you running larger than stock rims, or have your car lowered?

no it has stock rims. when i come to a stop i hear two popping sounds one after the other as if this happens when all the weight is shifting to the front from the stop. i cant really see any tears, how could i know if it's the lower or the upper control arm bushings?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    *edit* read the year wrong, not a B3!

Have you jacked the car up to see if/where there is any play?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

yeah i have jacked the car up, still cant really see, i tried to feel around for some vibration but everything seems stable, when i get someone to crank the steering wheel while car is on the ground the creaking seems to be coming from the upper control arm area. I jus want to find out the problem and see if i can do it myself because i have put too much money into this car, but if i have to i will put in more because it is a good car.

It turned out to be warn out bushings on my upper control arms.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information