+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1998 Passat 1.8lt rpm's dropping and tough to start after fueling up.

Junior Member show_time_23 is on a distinguished road

1998 Passat 1.8lt rpm's dropping and tough to start after fueling up.

Hi, i have a 1998 passat 1.8lt I've had it for about 6 months, since day one ive had problems with starting the car up after fueling up (doesnt matter how much fuel i put in or what level fuel was at when pumping). When i pump gas i usually have to turn the key and hold it while the car starts to turn over then i start to give it gas and it's good until the next fuel up. But now it is starting to drop below 1000rpms when starting it up regularly (not when fueling up) and feels as though it may stall then it kicks back up, but is shakey. it seems like this happens only in warm weather, any suggestions?

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    New fuel filter? or Fuel lines?
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

Junior Member ryanbruce is on a distinguished road ryanbruce's Avatar
    Are you running 91 octane?

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar
    Is the fuel pump humming ?

New Member veedub canuck is on a distinguished road veedub canuck's Avatar
    What happens if you just take the filler cap off in between fill-ups? Will it do the same thing or do you actually have to put gas into it?
    '03 Jetta GLS 1.8t w/upsolute tune and only 21,000kms
    99.5 Jetta TDI
    '01 Jetta TDI
    2x '90 Jetta 1.6td's

sorry for the late response for some reason these reply's didnt get sent to my email. but to answer all the questions: i am no longer running 91 octane cus gas is too expensive but even when i was i still had this problem. I dont hear a humming but everynow and then when everything is quiet i hear a beeping sound along with like a chugging (sounds like a clugging sound kinda like when the engine is about to stall out but coming from the gas tank area), the beeping gets faster until eventually i hear like air being released and it goes away all this happens near the gas tank. also the more gas i put in the harder to start it. if i put in 10 or less it starts without a problem, but i have to keep reving or else it dies out. I read that it may be a faulty purge valve, i went and got a code scan and it was P0441 (evaporation issue). Thanks for the help fellas.

and i have to put gas in, if i jus take the cap off and back on nothing happens, starts normally.

I know this is late but incase anyone has this problem i replaced the PCV (N-80) valve a while back and it cleared the problem.

I had this same problem on my 99 Passat. I replaced the prurge valve and only use 93. Haven't had the issue in years now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information