+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas in diesel

New Member CPURCH is on a distinguished road

Gas in diesel

I had a buddy borrow my car, he put gasoline into the diesel tank. It is a 06' Golf. I took it to the shop, the mechanic syphoned it then sent me on my way. I was driving and the car kepy stalling out, however I was able to get it back to the shop. However, when ever I slowed down or didnt have the car revving (kind of thing) it would die on me. Why?

2 months ago a gas attendant did the same; except I ended up getting a new fuel pump because the damage was bad.

So my question is; will the car be ok? Or is the next step a new engine?

Anyone who can offer insight, that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    The same thing happened to my sister at one of the discount full serve stations. They filled her tank with 87. She got around 2km down the road and the vehicle stalled. Towed to her mechanic, drained tank and ran the next tank or two with a shot of diesel conditioner. She's easily 100,000km past that event, so no series damage was done.
    Last edited by Raz; 02-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    There's probably gas left in the lines, I doubt if they siphoned it out they got every last drop out of the tank. The "best" way would be pump it all out. I can't see it causing damage to the pump unless it was left for a long time and the gas attacked the seals?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    yup its stalling out because there is still some gas in the lines/tank. gas in diesel is very similar to having water in gas, it doesn't like to burn the same way the diesel does, or in waters case it doesn't burn at all. diesel ignites solely on compression of the fuel, there are no spark plugs, only glow plugs to assist in start up, then its compresion only. gasoline requires a certain amount of compression + a source of ignition to properly ignite in the cylinder. with out the ignition source gasoline in a diesel cylinder won't readily ignite. i would imagine that the more you run the car and cycle more fuel through then your problem will clear up. also won't hurt to toss in some diesel fuel conditioner
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Veteran Member KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub's Avatar
    All depends how long it was ran for with the gas in it. and how much gas was put into it an actually made it to the injectors

If it was started... disconnect fuel lines and blow out from tank to filter, replace filter, replace intank pump and evacuate tank
    If it was started and ran for a min ... all the above plus you may have damaged the pump
    Any longer.... all the above... plus injectors could be damaged.

Not to say that your fuel system is funct . But WORST case scenario ... because i've seen it happen more then once

Running gas will not do damage to the engine itself.... but it will strip all the coatings and perifin wax out of the pump,injectors and lines... and that is was keeps the parts in the fuel system of a Diesel lubricated. If your car is still running like a bag of shit after it was drained , i would put a filter in it atleast.
    Run some conditioner through it forsure. It may solve it .

Only thing is... yours a a PD correct ? The ALH motor was a bit more forgiving with gas in the system... PD's are not... and Clean Blue... well thats a whole other headache
    PAST- 85 VW Cabriolet- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 93 VW Passat VR6- 85 VW GTI- 93 VW Golf ABA- 90 Audi Coupe Quattro- 92 VW GTi 16v- 92 VW Golf 1.6TD- 1980 VW Rabbit- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 90 VW Corrado- 91 VW Passat Wagon 16v- 93 VW Passat VR6- 87 Audi 4000TQ- 86 Audi 4000SQ- 86 VW Jetta TD- 89 Audi 90Q- 91 Jetta GTX- 92 VW Golf TD
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information