+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: prep for paint.what to do

Junior Member xxkoadyxx is infamous around these parts xxkoadyxx's Avatar

vw 1.9TD build

Ok so im just gonna turn this into a build thread.. idk if im allowed to do that or not. but here it is. This use to be about info on paint but im just gonna turn it into a build thread.
    Last edited by xxkoadyxx; 02-24-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    93 golf 1.9TD 375000kms daily and project

Senior Member chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix's Avatar
    How much time and money do you want to put into the car? Personally if would pull all the glass, trim, interior, Fenders, doors, hood, hatch strip the car down prep it and paint everything when its off the car let it cure and then put the car back together.
    08 A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro 6 Speed
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W
    loading HATERS.....99% ████████████████]

well ill be doing everything myself, other then the actual painting..also i gotta drive the car to the paint shop so has to be road legal and safe hah. ill have a grand, paint included. well its going the same color, so its only the outside that well be getting done, i just want to remove as much as i can to make it easier. im going back to the cleanlyness like this when i first bought it from a guy in windsor ontario..

Senior Member chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix's Avatar
    if your staying the same colour then just pop out the head lights, grill, all marker lights, door trim and your front and rear valences, Door Handles, antenna mirros, tail lights.

Prep the car, tack it, mask everything, give it one more quick tack and go to town with primer and paint and clear.
    08 A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro 6 Speed
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W
    loading HATERS.....99% ████████████████]

should i primer the whole car? or just do a 400 sanding? also how do i remove the side moldings?

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (no offense). You'll be hard pressed to find a shop that will just lay down paint after they didn't do the prep work.

You should be pulling the windshield as well to make sure there's no rust. Also, tow it to the paint shop don't strip the car and then drive it. Unless it's a block away.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    The best primer out there is the factory paint, as long as it's not showing rust or bare metal. You'll have to prime any repaired places, but PLEASE use a good primer (two part activated), not something from a spray can.

You'll also need to factor in a good clean/degrease once its at the body shop. You're far better off letting the shop do the prep work, if not they won't warranty their work at all.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I don't think any shop will paint your car if you do the actual bodywork prep yourself - not unless you know the shop.

The best thing to get it ready would be to pull everything you don't want paint on. Hell, if you can give them a completely empty shell, they won't have to mask anything, it will be the 'cheapest' paint job you can get. That being said - do you have the time / knowledge / space to remove everything, store it and put it back together? I wouldn't take windshields and anything with a seal on it out / in myself.. you could easily smash it.

well, i already got the shop located and already was talking to him, and he is fine with painting it without doing the work. any rust parts ( right fender) im replacing with a new part. i have a spary gun so ill use that to spary the primer.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    There's a difference between rust repair and paint prep... the shop will still want to do the final scuff/sand, and cleaning/degreasing or they have no way to ensure the paint sticks well.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

oh yea i know, i might be taking out the rear window as i can drive without it.. im doing the "body work"..i already got the paint. as he told me were to get it.

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    final sanding should be 600 grit. I dunno if you should prime it yourself especially if it is outside. It may need sanded after primer. And my main concern would be wheels, makes sure you dont get your car painted with nice wheels because they will just throw tire bags over them which makes me cringe.
    "Nobody screws with Boris Grishenko, Spike them!"

Senior Member yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer is a jewel in the rough yamahammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    The best primer out there is the factory paint, as long as it's not showing rust or bare metal. You'll have to prime any repaired places, but PLEASE use a good primer (two part activated), not something from a spray can.

You'll also need to factor in a good clean/degrease once its at the body shop. You're far better off letting the shop do the prep work, if not they won't warranty their work at all.

this

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahammer View Post
    final sanding should be 600 grit. I dunno if you should prime it yourself especially if it is outside. It may need sanded after primer. And my main concern would be wheels, makes sure you dont get your car painted with nice wheels because they will just throw tire bags over them which makes me cringe.
    you ALWAYS have to sand after primer to knock down the rough edge, and get a nice finish ready surface
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    you ALWAYS have to sand after primer to knock down the rough edge, and get a nice finish ready surface

yea ill be using my steelies, rims are getting re-finished..and i prob 90% likly wont be primering the whole car as it is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    i hope so, thats forsure :P i want to get some borbet BS rims. but that wont happen for awhile..or xxr 521 16x8

how do i take the side moldings off?

Quote Originally Posted by xxkoadyxx View Post
    how do i take the side moldings off?
    Its a VW so I imagine some El Cheapo plastic clips that will break the second you touch them

MKIII's are all double sided taped on IIRC, but some might have clips?
    flickr

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    mine were double sided tape - mk3 1998 golf
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

i was told the textured ones were clipped on..can i get new clips?

Quote Originally Posted by xxkoadyxx View Post
    i was told the textured ones were clipped on..can i get new clips?
    ya if they have clips dealer will have them. But I just searched around vortex, and everyone's are held on by adhesive. One way to tell i guess would be to take your door card off and look if there are any protruding clips coming through.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yamahammer View Post
    ya if they have clips dealer will have them. But I just searched around vortex, and everyone's are held on by adhesive. One way to tell i guess would be to take your door card off and look if there are any protruding clips coming through.
    so if they were clipped on, it would be from the inside..ok, im pretty sure its clipped on though, could be wrong.

They're clipped from the outside, but with the door card off you could see the clips coming through the door panel. If I were you, I would just try to slide them off without breaking clips. If they won't budge, they're probably taped on. In any case, I would just get good 3M outdoor double sided tape to put them on after paint.
    flickr

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    LOL

this
    24v

ok so im gonna get the rear glass taken out, and then maybe build a metal lisesne plate tub, and shave the rear turn singles?? not sure, and also maybe a boser hood?

soo may 5th is the date my car well be getting painted

Im excited to see this! When you say shave the rear signals, do you mean this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information