+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help with Fuel leak @ Injection pump

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar

Need Help with Fuel leak @ Injection pump

I have a mk3 TDI and just noticed a fuel leak at the Injection pump , I cleaned the pump down, ran the car and found the leak , It's at what I think would be called the head of the pump, where the head meets the pump right beside the fuel cut off valve. now I read something about this before but having a hard time finding info again can i replace the seals for the head with out removing the pump and it as easy as it looks? oh may be a dumb question but if i do remove the head from the pump do I lose prime if so whats the best way to reprime the system.

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    No, you have to remove the pump and replace pump seals while the pump head is vertical otherwise the vanes of the pump could become disoriented during the replacement.

and yes, the pump is a sealed unit, if you remove the seal - all the diesel has to come out of the pump and must be reprimed, unless you have a lift pump, you prime it by cranking the starter, which turns the pump's drive gear...

just have it rebuilt...
    it's quite a delicate procedure.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_Inject...eplacement.htm

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar
    Apparently I made a mistake by saying that my leak was at the head because from looking at the pic's in the link the part being changed is not where my leak is. I cannot think of what it's called and am having a hard time explaining it. I do not know how to post photos so if you could tell me how then maybe I can post some, and we can go from there.

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    you mean the pump LID?

Veteran Member KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BellCityDubber View Post
    just have it rebuilt...
    it's quite a delicate procedure.
    BCD to English Translation :

Just get a superpump
    Its way better anyway

PAST- 85 VW Cabriolet- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 93 VW Passat VR6- 85 VW GTI- 93 VW Golf ABA- 90 Audi Coupe Quattro- 92 VW GTi 16v- 92 VW Golf 1.6TD- 1980 VW Rabbit- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 90 VW Corrado- 91 VW Passat Wagon 16v- 93 VW Passat VR6- 87 Audi 4000TQ- 86 Audi 4000SQ- 86 VW Jetta TD- 89 Audi 90Q- 91 Jetta GTX- 92 VW Golf TD
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

Quote Originally Posted by BellCityDubber View Post
    you mean the pump LID?
    Ya directly below that lid where it meets the body of the pump, it's held down with four torxs

thanks for posting a pic

Quote Originally Posted by KtownDub View Post
    BCD to English Translation :

Just get a superpump
    Its way better anyway

It would sure be nice, but the lack of funds won't let that happen any time in the immediate future

K so if this pic show up, the its leaking where the yellow paint is in the pic, if the pic didn't show up then I have no idea how to do it then

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    i don't think theres a "superpump" available for TDI's anyway ,only IDI's
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

^^ ding ding ding...
    no superpump for TDI's.
    just get a new lid seal
    it shouldn't loose too much diesel
    just run the engine after it's done

Veteran Member KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub's Avatar
    Ah didn't see the TDi part... dammit
    PAST- 85 VW Cabriolet- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 93 VW Passat VR6- 85 VW GTI- 93 VW Golf ABA- 90 Audi Coupe Quattro- 92 VW GTi 16v- 92 VW Golf 1.6TD- 1980 VW Rabbit- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 90 VW Corrado- 91 VW Passat Wagon 16v- 93 VW Passat VR6- 87 Audi 4000TQ- 86 Audi 4000SQ- 86 VW Jetta TD- 89 Audi 90Q- 91 Jetta GTX- 92 VW Golf TD
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

does anyone know where to get this seal, VW said they don't carry it , told me to go to Taylor diesel but when I called them they had no idea what I was talking about, try a couple of auto part stores around Hamilton but still no luck

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    $6 roll of cork gasket paper from crappy tire/partsource, trace, cut out, and install.

Member The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid's Avatar
    If its leaking there you say, i would not recommend changing it yourself, the head needs to go back on *exactly* where it was before. These mk3 TDI pumps are mad sensitive, the last 2 we sent to get re-built simply for a leak came back with problems. We had it re calibrated and it made no difference. Ended up putting a used pump in. Never have any problems with re-building the ALH or even IDI pumps.

Also, no super pump but on the ALH TDIs you can go to an 11mm or if your really crazy a 12mm pump.

Member The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid's Avatar
    If its leaking there you say, i would not recommend changing it yourself, the head needs to go back on *exactly* where it was before. These mk3 TDI pumps are mad sensitive, the last 2 we sent to get re-built simply for a leak came back with problems. We had it re calibrated and it made no difference. Ended up putting a used pump in. Never have any problems with re-building the ALH or even IDI pumps.

Also, no super pump but on the ALH TDIs you can go to an 11mm or if your really crazy a 12mm pump.

Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    $6 roll of cork gasket paper from crappy tire/partsource, trace, cut out, and install.
    K so just to be sure, if you look @ the pic I posted the spot that has yellow paint on it I can just use cork gasket ?

I'm just trying to be sure we are talking about the same spot, I keep hearing a lot of bad thing can happen when you f*** with these pumps
    I'm not saying your wrong by any-means, its just that the fist post I did, I called it a head and I was wrong and I don't want to take on more then I can do.

Thanks

i'm by no means telling you to do this, or that its easy to do, i'm simply saying that when you can't find a source for a gasket to make your own with cork paper. i have no idea if cork would be sufficient in this application as i am not the one taking it apart to assess the situation. i would NOT disassemble this pump unless you are completely familiar with the internals

F*** it, I'm just going to take it apart and do it my self , how will I get familiar with the internals if I don't get my hands on the internals
    worst case I'll need to go get another pump and have someone that knows what there doing do it, I'll post that outcome
    thanks BellCityDubber,dubonic possesion,The Weide Motors Kid for all your help and advice

Veteran Member AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog's Avatar
    There goes a brave lad. God speed.

1987 Jetta coupe
    1994 Audi URS4

All done , no leaks and running great

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information