+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skiing/Snowboarding in Vermont or Quebec

Veteran Member jayred is on a distinguished road jayred's Avatar

Skiing/Snowboarding in Vermont or Quebec

Was looking at doing a ski trip to either Quebec or Vermont, has anyone been to either place? Positives negatives?

In Vermont I was looking at Stowe, Smugglers Notch or Jay Peak and Quebec Tremblant.

I usually go out west to Alberta to ski every year but wanted to get in another trip this year and thought I would try one of these places.
    2011 CC || Current
    2007 Jetta GLI || Gone
    2003 Jetta GLI || Gone

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    I did a few days at Killington Vermont, probably 10-11 years ago. It was cool with some pretty LONG runs, and at the time had a huge long bordercross course designed by Shaun Palmer open to the public. If I was going back I'd probably go to Jay Peak or Smuggs, Be prepared for a long drive that can have crappy weather/roads though.

Veteran Member wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg's Avatar
    I have been to Mont Tremblant twice but a long time ago like 10 or more years ago. It was an amazing time though. Tremblant also has nice long Runs.
    Strudel Boy

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Don't forget about White Face (Lake Placid), highest vertical in the east!

Are you after the atmosphere in the village, or just the riding terrain? Last time I was at Stowe, the village was basically non-existent, but the skiing is good. Tremblant has a great village, but the terrain is just average IMO. There's also good skiing further east in Quebec, Le Massif has some awesome terrain about half an hour east of Mt. St. Anne.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

We are more after the Terrain and powder. Le Massif looks pretty good but its the farthest I think. I am meeting a buddy from Ottawa so its not bad for him but for me it would suck.

White Face also looks really good. I think we have decided on Vermont so now just picking the places there.
    2011 CC || Current
    2007 Jetta GLI || Gone
    2003 Jetta GLI || Gone

Veteran Member thaweezord is a glorious beacon of light thaweezord is a glorious beacon of light thaweezord is a glorious beacon of light thaweezord is a glorious beacon of light thaweezord is a glorious beacon of light thaweezord is a glorious beacon of light thaweezord's Avatar
    I've been to tremblant and jay peak. I think I almost like Jay Peak better. More tree runs, powder, and nice winding runs. Tremblant is steeper it seems and more fast pace. Jay Peak has less people also and is cheaper... they take canadian money on par too.
    2000 Jetta TDI Canyon Red

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ Par is a ripoff right now

Canadian dollar is ever so slightly above the US dollar

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;to=USD;amt=1

Jay Peak definitely has nice glades (tree runs) and snow fall. Tremblant rarely has fresh powder, and if they do there's a ton of people there anyway. Le Massif is probably one of the best places for powder in the east, but it is a LONG drive. If you're after a day trip, watch the weather and go to either Holiday Valley or Bristol Mountain (Bristol is about 3 hours away, pushing it for day trips).
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435's Avatar
    tremblant or smuggler's for sure
    Likesgehenntodenrepairshoppenalot... or jetta for short

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    Was at St. Anne last year and loved it. Drive wasn't too bad at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Holiday Valley is okay but, I would rather go to Holimont or Osler if I was skiing close by.

I think we have decided on Stowe and will stay in Stowe, its pretty close to lots of hills so if Stowe gets boring after day 1 we have lots of other options.
    2011 CC || Current
    2007 Jetta GLI || Gone
    2003 Jetta GLI || Gone

Veteran Member brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435's Avatar
    isnt there a huge waiting list for holimont?
    Likesgehenntodenrepairshoppenalot... or jetta for short

Maybe, my brother in Law's parents have a place there so I just go as a guest with his family.
    2011 CC || Current
    2007 Jetta GLI || Gone
    2003 Jetta GLI || Gone

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    I've thought about Vermont. I heard its really expensive. You have to consider if someone injures themself then its easier to get patched up in Canada vs. Usa.

I've done St. Anne and Tremblant. I liked Tremblant more because its closer. You can reallllllly rip tear shred down the hills.

Whatever you choose, have a fun and safe trip brah.
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

Veteran Member euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of
    I didn't even read this thread, but I have been to Mount St. Anne in Quebec and I loved it. Huge hills, great views, fast lifts, and a nice place to stay. Look into it.

So Stowe is a nice little town, haven't really seen a crazy party scene but some great food and nice people. We stayed at Sun and Ski Inn which is located on the mountain road ($120 a night). We are within walking distance of a bunch of little restaurants and shops which is nice.

Stowe Ski Resort is okay, if you are after long groomed runs then this is your place. We stuck to the quad and Gondola runs the entire time. The Stowe Mountain lodge looks awesome and has an outdoor pool which runs all year round. But, it costs a ton of money to stay there and unfortunately not in our budget!

If you are a powder seeker go out west because you will be let down if you come out here!
    2011 CC || Current
    2007 Jetta GLI || Gone
    2003 Jetta GLI || Gone

There's way better powder at Le Massif, or in NY instead of Vermont. Vermont tends to get eastern powder (ice) just like most of Quebec.
    flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information