+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine swap from 93 jetta with 2.0 liter to 88 golf cabriolet with 1.8liter

New Member Beaver is on a distinguished road

Engine swap from 93 jetta with 2.0 liter to 88 golf cabriolet with 1.8liter

anyone have any ideas on what kind of problems I may run into?motor mounts,fuel system,etc... any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    direct bolt in, just exchange the mounts from the old engine to the new one, if your cabby has the late style fuse panel then the engine harness should plug right in, if not then you'll have to study some wiring diagrams to make the ecu power up. you will need a different downpipe for the exhaust, mk3's go down and to the side, mk1 chassis is down and straight back, and depending on how high the engine sits in the bay you may have to cut the bracing off the hood to get it to close over the intake manifold, thats what we had to do in my friends scirocco. there is an exhaust downpipe that you can use but i forget which one,
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    gotta love VW for making their engine mounts fit basically every engine bay! ah

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    the ABA will fit, the mounts are the same.... but....

if you want to change over to motronic EFI, you'll have a bit of work set out ahead of you in re-wiring from the CE1 style fusebox to the motronic EFI wiring harness. An easier solution would be to find a 90+ cabrio doner car and take the digifant1 harness and CE1 fusebox as it's plug and play (pre 89 fuseboxes did not have provisions for a large amperage ecu relay - the socket is there, but the wiring/blades are inadequate)

here's some links that might help
    http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical_system.htm
    http://a2resource.com/electrical/man...nicvr6aba.html
    http://a2resource.com/electrical/CE1.html
    http://a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

dubonic is right about the downpipe, it's a little different in a mk1, but any good fabricator should be able to sort you out.

as for the "hood not closing" issue.... it's a myth in Rabbit/Jetta A frame cars.... the hood will close.... a friend in the next town over did the same swap in his 84 jetta coupe... maybe so in the rocco as the hood is lower/longer and sits at a different angle.

Thank you all for the excellent advice,guess I have a bigger job than anticipated. Any fuel pressure issues? as they run quite different pressures?. Would the fuse box out of the 93 jetta work with the complete harness?

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ The fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is on the fuel rail of the engine, so that takes care of any pressure issues in this case. Were you swapping from CIS-E you'd probably have to swap the pump as well.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    nope... all CIS fuel pumps can stay... as they're over and above the expected flows and pressures for most modern fuel systems. just be sure to have a good return line to the tank as all other fuel WILL be returning to the tank with a CIS pump. I used a CIS pump on a Digi2 engine.... ran fine....

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    I thought CIS pumps were high flow, but low pressure?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

nope, they run 80 psi average (some run even higher pressure) and turbo CIS cars ran high flow as well.

Dhalback's golf RSI runs cis pumps...

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    wiring it is not that bad if you've got both diagrams, you can isolate the circuits that you need to power and splice it in to the old harness, if you're keen with schematics it shouldn't take any longer then a day to do it all up proper.
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Thank you to all whom have replied to my problem,it is greatly appreciated. Probably wont start the project before the snow goes as we have a load of it now,and my doner car is burried in snow.. Once it goes then I will be under great pressure to finish the project in time for my wife to use the car or I fill be in BIGGGGG TROUBLEEEEE!!!!!. Thanks again for the fantastic and very useful info

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information