+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: .:aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Volkswagen Announces Golf R for NA

Veteran Member KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 40k for a Golf.

So... what if they called it an R20 instead of Golf R ? Then would you ? Funny how a Badge can make or break opinions... Becuase your buying the badge... not the car right ?

There are lots of options in that range... but its either get a low end car loaded... or high end car basic... 40k... I'd rock a loaded to the tits AWD Golf.... And just for fun..take all the badges off ...
    PAST- 85 VW Cabriolet- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 93 VW Passat VR6- 85 VW GTI- 93 VW Golf ABA- 90 Audi Coupe Quattro- 92 VW GTi 16v- 92 VW Golf 1.6TD- 1980 VW Rabbit- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 90 VW Corrado- 91 VW Passat Wagon 16v- 93 VW Passat VR6- 87 Audi 4000TQ- 86 Audi 4000SQ- 86 VW Jetta TD- 89 Audi 90Q- 91 Jetta GTX- 92 VW Golf TD
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I think the name wouldn't sway my decision either way - I think 40k can get me a Boxster that's 6 months old.

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    but a boxter is for teh women
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Veteran Member KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub's Avatar
    ^^^ hahahahaha very true !

40k could prolly score you a used TTs in another year or so aswell.... which is the same thing as a Golf R. I dunno... i think for the total package... 40k is reasonable price . I mean .. a base model A3 fwd is 36,900... and the Quattro is 39,900... with a dsg ( no 6spd availble ) before options.... and a base model FWD A4 is 37,900.....
    But i do agree... there is lots out there in that price range... just not with all the bells and whistles a top of the line car will have
    PAST- 85 VW Cabriolet- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 93 VW Passat VR6- 85 VW GTI- 93 VW Golf ABA- 90 Audi Coupe Quattro- 92 VW GTi 16v- 92 VW Golf 1.6TD- 1980 VW Rabbit- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 90 VW Corrado- 91 VW Passat Wagon 16v- 93 VW Passat VR6- 87 Audi 4000TQ- 86 Audi 4000SQ- 86 VW Jetta TD- 89 Audi 90Q- 91 Jetta GTX- 92 VW Golf TD
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    Guess I was wrong....as it is most likely coming to Canada.

Well the way I see it is if I can pay 40K+ for a Golf.....nothing wrong in paying 80K for a GT-R.

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I wonder if it will hold its resale value...

My other problem is that dealers are going to be hardasses because its a 'rare' car, meaning you will probably end up paying sticker+, which I just wouldnt' be willing to do on principle alone! lol. Maybe I will have to call in a favor :P

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    i still rather get a used S4
    24v

Veteran Member brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435's Avatar
    I think the name wouldn't sway my decision either way - I think 40k can get me a Boxster that's 6 months old.
    for 40gs I think id rather just pick up a nissan gtr, and then have a golf/gti as a daily. as much as i like it, theres no way i could justify spending 40grand on a golf. Its not that fast, and at the end of the day, its still a golf. other than awd and the fact that its a bit faster, its still a golf. Why not spend the extra money you would spend on a golf r, and buy something else. even a mk4 supra can be had cheaply enough these days.
    Likesgehenntodenrepairshoppenalot... or jetta for short

Quote Originally Posted by brendan_435 View Post
    Its not that fast, and at the end of the day, its still a golf.
    Not fast !? Are you serious ?! The TTs is a MONSTER... and this shares the same powertrain

With the paddle-shift S tronic, the TTS coupe has a claimed 0-to-60-mph time of 4.9 seconds Top speed is limited to 155 mph.
    Not saying go out and buy it... but give credit where credit is due....
    We have a clietn here at with a RS4 and a TTs.... swares up and down out of the hole his TTs will blow the doors of his RS4.... and you know what... I believe it... they have a potent lightweight setup. Boost comes on like a freight train and is furious.
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

Veteran Member brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KtownDub View Post
    Not fast !? Are you serious ?! The TTs is a MONSTER... and this shares the same powertrain

Not saying go out and buy it... but give credit where credit is due....
    We have a clietn here at with a RS4 and a TTs.... swares up and down out of the hole his TTs will blow the doors of his RS4.... and you know what... I believe it... they have a potent lightweight setup. Boost comes on like a freight train and is furious.

k, perhaps "not fast" was taken out of context. I mean, for 40gs fast. obviously a sub 5 second 0-60 time is fast. Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. But for 10gs, you can buy a nissan gtr (0-60 in 4.7 seconds) that will easily outperform a golf r.

But then again, if you're looking to spend 40gs, on one car, that you can drive every day, comfortably, then fair enough. Personally, I think id rather have a gti as a daily, and a devoted performance car as a fun car.
    Likesgehenntodenrepairshoppenalot... or jetta for short

A Nissian Skyline GTR (for 10g's) would be a piece of junk.

Yes, it might be fast. Have you been in one though? It's the biggest piece of shit you will ever drive. It's worse then a late 90's Maxima. In fact, it shaers like 50% of the components with it. Same with a Supra. Have you driven one? It's like driving a wood wagon. Those cars are 20 years old and completely past their life cycle. They were dreams when Fast and Furious came out - now they are just as shitty as a Mk2.

I'm not defending the 40k price tag on a Golf R, but I think your reasoning doesn't make sense.

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    A Nissian Skyline GTR (for 10g's) would be a piece of junk.

Yes, it might be fast. Have you been in one though? It's the biggest piece of shit you will ever drive. It's worse then a late 90's Maxima. In fact, it shaers like 50% of the components with it. Same with a Supra. Have you driven one? It's like driving a wood wagon. Those cars are 20 years old and completely past their life cycle. They were dreams when Fast and Furious came out - now they are just as shitty as a Mk2.

I'm not defending the 40k price tag on a Golf R, but I think your reasoning doesn't make sense.

lol

*runs before vw army gets up in here*

and we don't even know it costs 40 stacks yet.

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    B6 S4 with navigation and a 6spd. Still nicer than most cars on the road today

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    lol

and we don't even know it costs 40 stacks yet.
    bahahahaha mk2's are shitty, takes a fair bit of work to make one nice!
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    lol

LMAO !!! ^^^^

I love my Mk2 Turbo Weasel .... Its great ! Lightweight , fuel efficent and rattles and vibrates like nobody business ! lol Classic !
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

There are some 40gs MK4s out there that are toilets too...

haha

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    I love how people are hung up on the 40k price tag.

Remember Wrx's cost 40k Evos'' and sit's are 50k by the time you're out the door.

New Bmw 335i's are high 50's if you get the options to make it nice. And I bet you'll think the Golf has a better interior

There's no C-class aside from the AMG63 that would touch the Golf R performance-wise.

Used GT-R, Rs4, Boxer etc are going to rape your wallet maintenance, insurance etc.

Golf R with full-time will probably break into the 12's, add a stage3+ kit and actually have the ability to put it down, and still have decent fuel mileage, repair costs etc, makes the it a very tempting car.

The 2.0t is a great choice, the industry is downsizing engines, plus vr6's make golfs kinda nose-heavy. Not to mention the aftermarket is already well developed for this car.

Its worth it almost for the awd alone. If you haven't driven or been in a higher hp add car, you really have no idea what you're missing out on!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

^^ Thats what I was saying. For 40k ( or whatever it may happen to go for ) the car is prolly at the top of it's class. And yes.. when you go buy an EVO or STI.... your still buying a Impreza... or a Lancer...

Believe me when i say.. if this has a TTs powerplant and driveline.... this car will be a wild one.
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

Member The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid's Avatar
    i agree, still would be cool to see a factory R36 golf or something, the AWD would at least "help" to offset the heavy nose.

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurjen View Post
    If you haven't driven or been in a higher hp add car, you really have no idea what you're missing out on!

i think you should give people rides in your car to make them believers
    bankrupt.
    SymproCNC.com im for all your machining needs (spacers, center cap spikes etc)

Quote Originally Posted by The Weide Motors Kid View Post
    i agree, still would be cool to see a factory R36 golf or something, the AWD would at least "help" to offset the heavy nose.

Nooo way ! The Vr6 is WAY heavier then the rear Diff... maybe if the case was made from cast iron or something it would be close.. but not the way it is.
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

When you see an AWD car on a hoist, it really blows your mind of how different it is then a FWD car. It actually "looks like a car", I'm not sure if anyone gets what I mean by that. It's just more substantial and probably worth the price.

not the greatest pic, but this is the rear end of a mk4 r32 didnt capture the diff but the differences are, well ill let the pics do the talking

and as for a factory r36 that already exists and if it was here i would probably own one as my daily

04 .:R32 DBP Daily
    98 GTI VR6 (will be missed)
    97 Jetta GT (SOLD) 94 GTI 2.slo (RI
    90 Audi CQ (SOLD)
    84 Jetta Turbo Diesel (SOLD)

Veteran Member ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW's Avatar
    When I got my car, 2010 GTI, it was ~$40K out the door with a heavy discount. My car is fully loaded minus DSG and rear airbags. There is no way that the R will be the same. I would say $45k-$48k would be more realistic. When I was pricing my car, there was no NEW car that came with the options my car had at the same price point. The C300 was a close second, but the price difference made the GTI the winner.
    Under Pressure

People also forget to realize that unless you are paying CASH which I am pretty sure most of us wouldn't be.....you still end up paying another 5gs easily or more after due to accumulated financing interest. I would just save a shitload and drop it on the downpayment. This is only negated if the financing is 0 percent which hardly happens with the GTI model.

The R20 is a reminder of the Phateon - phenomenal cars with a VW badge and horrible resale! So spending 45gs on a R and then selling it for peanuts 4-5yrs l8r sucks!!

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIPN VW View Post
    When I got my car, 2010 GTI, it was ~$40K out the door with a heavy discount. My car is fully loaded minus DSG and rear airbags. There is no way that the R will be the same. I would say $45k-$48k would be more realistic. When I was pricing my car, there was no NEW car that came with the options my car had at the same price point. The C300 was a close second, but the price difference made the GTI the winner.
    mazdaspeed 3 would have been 10k less, and i cant think of a single category where it wouldn't completely blow the gti out of the water
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

Looks like canada will only get the 4 door model, no options.

Veteran Member ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by distr0 View Post
    mazdaspeed 3 would have been 10k less, and i cant think of a single category where it wouldn't completely blow the gti out of the water
    I guess I should start calling you Helen Keller... I can think of a few categories:

Interior
    Exterior
    Fit and Finish
    Fuel Mileage
    Status

You know, the categories that matter to an adult. The outside of the car is a joke and the inside is complete garbage. I might as well drive my wife's nissan sentra and even the sentra has more room in the back. It might have more HP, but the first two gears are boost limited (WTF is that about) to stock GTI levels to take care of the bad torque steer. I'm not looking for a boy racer car. I needed a car that I can have fun with and still take my clients out in. Mazda3 is not that car. I can live without the .2 sec faster 0-100km/h and .2 sec quarter mile (real blowing out of the water). With 18" summers (like the speed3) and DSG the two cars were tied.

And for the record. A new Mazda3 equipped as close to what I have on my car is ~$41K(MSR compaired to a GTI at ~$41.5K. Mind you my car has a full leather, real Navigation, and a sunroof. and for an extra $600, I can have all that plus mazda3 power. Well better. I get full boost in every gear.
    Under Pressure

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by distr0 View Post
    Ya, but you would be driving a Mazda.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    my brother is the type of guy that says oh man but I can buy the gtr or whatever car for half that and its faster. and many people do, here and other places.
    BUT, with a gtr all you get more is the power, you lack in all other categories. Whether you want to admit it or not, subarus are lacking in some departments that vw dont, same with mitsubishi, and mazda - fwd ftl.

i think the golf r is decently priced for what it offers when compared with the rest. compare the whole package not just one feature or two..
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information