+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rough idle, 2000 golf, 1.8

Junior Member turbogolf1a is on a distinguished road

rough idle, 2000 golf, 1.8

hi,

my golf idles a bit rough when at a stop light. the rpms go from 8 - 10, then 10-8 back and forth. today i seafoamed it - although it improved pickup, did not solve the problem.

i am not good with ohm metres and stuff, i was reading that its possible to check the 4 coil packs just by unhooking 1 at a time well engine on. yes makes sense, but i just wanted to make sure that i wont screw up the engine.

so, i plan to unhook 1, put the car in drive to see if idle stabalizes, if not, hook 1 back up, and then check the 2nd. i will do this process 4 times to find the bad coilpack. i just dont totally understand engines and want to make sure its okay to unplug a coil well its in park idling, and then also that i can put the car in Drive (although i wont drive it) well a coil is unplugged.

THANKS

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogolf1a View Post
    hi,

my golf idles a bit rough when at a stop light. the rpms go from 8 - 10, then 10-8 back and forth. today i seafoamed it - although it improved pickup, did not solve the problem.

i am not good with ohm metres and stuff, i was reading that its possible to check the 4 coil packs just by unhooking 1 at a time well engine on. yes makes sense, but i just wanted to make sure that i wont screw up the engine.

so, i plan to unhook 1, put the car in drive to see if idle stabalizes, if not, hook 1 back up, and then check the 2nd. i will do this process 4 times to find the bad coilpack. i just dont totally understand engines and want to make sure its okay to unplug a coil well its in park idling, and then also that i can put the car in Drive (although i wont drive it) well a coil is unplugged.

THANKS
    sure you can unplug them one at a time, your CEL mite come on , I'd check for vacuum leaks and check all you hoses first, when did you seafoamed before or after the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by j3ttamaster View Post
    sure you can unplug them one at a time, your CEL mite come on , I'd check for vacuum leaks and check all you hoses first, when did you seafoamed before or after the problem?
    Ok i will check for vacume leaks, hopefully i will hear something.
    today when i did seafoaming, there was some smoke in engine bay, coming from engine block itself i think, like through the plastic piece on top of the engine. maybe some from behind too?

am i just being paranoid here - coils always go bad, no?
    whats the best way to find a vacume leak?

Member j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster is a jewel in the rough j3ttamaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogolf1a View Post
    am i just being paranoid here - coils always go bad, no?
    whats the best way to find a vacume leak?
    ya it's more then likely you have a bad coil , you can always check them by pulling one wire at a time just pull it slightly off and look at the spark coming from it , a blue spark is good and a yellowish orange spark is weak , for the vacuum leak i always use ether, brake clean or acetylene but use only a little at a time and (I take no responsibility for your well being lol ) just spray across the lines and if the idle picks up then you have a leak there , good hunting

Just thought of one more thing, it does not always "lope" or idle erratically - does that mean it is not a vacume leak probably an electrical issue? ie coil? just logic tells me a vacume leak is a vacume leak which would affect it all the time.

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    do you have a check engine light?, coil pack misfires will throw a cel. is it sluggish when you're driving? sounds to me like a vac leak. use throttle body cleaner to check for vac leaks. I would never run brake clean through an engine,
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    use throttle body cleaner to check for vac leaks. I would never run brake clean through an engine,
    I would never run foreign stuff ie brake clean through the engines intake nor TB cleaner , spray a light amount across the vac line will not hurt a thing it's only getting a small dose of fumes

and if it has an erratic idle it should smooth out for a sec, but saying that dubonic possesion is right you can use throttle body cleaner to run through the engine

I figured it out!
    I took the engine cover off and sprayed the ignition pack wires with WD40 (and the connections to the coil packs).
    It evened out the idle. I guess it was either a connection at the coil with an oily sludgish covered plug, or there is a crack in one of the lines. I am going to see if the improvment stays, and if not, i will spray some light water mist at it in the dark to see if i can find an arc. is this a good way to find a crack in a wire?

how much would a new engine harness be and where can i grab one? it seems tought to find one for the 1.8

Member The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid's Avatar
    if a wire is damaged to the point that it would cause a problem you "should" be able to visually see it, I belive the dealer charges $300, but i think that is also for install, i could be way off on that but i was told thats how they make their money back after a coil pack recall, to test the coils i would make sure the engine is missing, (by that i mean do this when you notice the problem) pull one coil off the spark plug at a time, if the coil is working the engine should bog down,(coil/cylinder doing its job when plugged in) if you find you pull one and the engine does nothing, (makes no difference plugged in or unplugged) then you have found your problem cylinder. check the wires going to that cylinders coil, pull the spark plug as well, even if the original problem was the coil, after much misfiring the plug could be fouled up.

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    i believe the coil harness comes separate but does yours have new coils in it already?
    Dixie whistlin', Coal Burnin', '01 Jetta TDI-3rd WF 14-SOLD
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

okay this is weird - but when i replaced one of the bulbs under the headlight - the "peanut bulb" as i was burn out - the problem went away. perhaps it was a coincidance and the seafoam finally fully came out - but i dont know

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information