+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I'm sick of car insurance. What do you pay and who is your broker?

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    you could very well have your claim denied because of your turbo/mods.
    Yup, you most likely will.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101's Avatar
    Holy F...you guys would cringe if you knew what I was paying for insurance only a few years ago...$150-200 a month is peanuts...stop crying!
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    in my spare time i like to surround myself with miniature figurines, and pretend that i am a giant. then i steal their livestock and smash their houses so they live in a constant state of fear.

Veteran Member KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub is just really nice KtownDub's Avatar
    ^^ hahahahaha i was waiting for you to chime in on this.
    PAST- 85 VW Cabriolet- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 93 VW Passat VR6- 85 VW GTI- 93 VW Golf ABA- 90 Audi Coupe Quattro- 92 VW GTi 16v- 92 VW Golf 1.6TD- 1980 VW Rabbit- 86 Audi 5000CDQ- 90 VW Corrado- 91 VW Passat Wagon 16v- 93 VW Passat VR6- 87 Audi 4000TQ- 86 Audi 4000SQ- 86 VW Jetta TD- 89 Audi 90Q- 91 Jetta GTX- 92 VW Golf TD
    PRESENT- 84 GLI

Senior Member thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB101 View Post
    Holy F...you guys would cringe if you knew what I was paying for insurance only a few years ago...$150-200 a month is peanuts...stop crying!
    lol, well now I REALLY want to know!

Senior Member Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough
    As I mentioned before, I'm a broker, so what I am about to say is 100% truth. There are NO companies in Ontario that will insure your vehicle if it is modified for speed/performance. you MUST carry insurance through the facility association if you want to know for 100% certain that your claim won't be denied. There are providers that can insure a "show car", but the restrictions are pretty severe.

If you vehicle is modified and the insurer isn't aware you can be cancelled for misrepresentation and AT BEST, like Soundwave mentioned, have you claim denied for SURE if/when they find out. Just a word of caution for the many of us that have vehicles modified for speed, etc. Cosmetic mods (lights, rims, tires, etc.) don't pose a problem. you may pay slightly more with your collision/comp rate group.
    2001 Jetta 2.slow

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    my biggest problem with the corrado wasn't price, it was finding a company that will insure a right hand drive vehicle, i thought for sure we would get raped, but that wasn't the case, got full coverage for $89 a month.
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    $120/month for bare minimum on a 98 A4 1.8t "stock" with Belair direct. Im 22
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Veteran Member Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911's Avatar
    I'm with Bel Air Direct. They do not insure modified cars whats soever.
    Golf - $80 / month - Insured as Stock
    Audi - $102 / month - Insured as Stock
    House - $35 / month
    I'm 28 and currently have two speeding tickets on my record (3 points each). Never had an accident on my record.
    Both cars have Full coverage w/ $500 deductibles and 1M Liability. I had better policy ($300/$2M) until this month when government regulations changed and in order to maintain my price point they lowered my coverage.
    I have discounts for "winter tires", "multi-car policy", multi service policy (house + car), and since my parents also use them i we had one common policy before i moved out, there is another discount applied).

I however HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE INSURANCE. Coming from a country where insurance was approximately $35/year (more like a road usage tax) to this money grabbing scheme its outrageous. (I also hate TAXES too)

And I agree with Harry that us (Canadian's) don't do anything about it. However, when you think about it most people don't know any better. They arrive here form all over the world and they are basically TOLD, that if they want to drive they have to pay this "insurance" fee. They pay it and go, without questioning, most people are just grateful to arrive and live in a secure country where they can make a decent living.
    Nick | 2001 Golf 1.8T | www.mygolfiv.com | www.gtan.ca | HID Kits | Mechanic Gloves | Need Hosting ? $6/Month IM Me |

New Member GenerationFour is on a distinguished road
    Try TD Canada Trust bro.. i got 3000/yr for an 18 yr old on a 01 GTI with 2 tix (15 over)

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    I wouldn't hide mods from an insurance company, nor would I publicly state that the car I own and drive daily is insured under someone else. If your company finds out (even after an accident) about either than can (and likely will) drop ALL coverage on the spot. A friends sister was in an accident and caught by the insurance driving a car daily that was insured in their parents name and their policy was dropped on the spot.

It's one thing to be left with your car not covered, but to be left without liability in an accident could hurt for a LONG time.

Nick, look at insurance in the western provinces... It's mostly us in Ontario that get hosed..
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    I wouldn't hide mods from an insurance company
    You have to do it, cause as soon as you tell them your car is modded they will NOT insure you. You need to bend the truth.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    just got my renewal papers from belair, dropped to $98.50 /month!
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

Senior Member Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    You have to do it, cause as soon as you tell them your car is modded they will NOT insure you. You need to bend the truth.
    um, I wouldn't recommend that. That's misrepresentation and in the event of a claim you will be denied coverage. To your vehicle and most importantly, liability.
    2001 Jetta 2.slow

Quote Originally Posted by Massecar View Post
    ===== QUOTE Ricas ====

===== /QUOTE ====

um, I wouldn't recommend that. That's misrepresentation and in the event of a claim you will be denied coverage. To your vehicle and most importantly, liability.
    I don't have to do jack shit. If they don't ask I don't tell.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    Actually, unless you plan on claiming the mods, im pretty sure it does not matter.
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    From my experience with State Farm Canada...they made a fuss over an exhaust, intake, DV and not to mention a FMIC. This was because I made a claim in 2005 because of someone hitting my car in the parking lot and taking off. There was a camera but the angle was not good enuff to grab the plate of the other vehicle. They made a big hoopla of saying that car will be dropped from insurance (discretion of the underwriter i guess) but I said that my mods had nothing to do with the claim. Hence they made me take the few mods off and send them pics after the claim was done. So while I hope that no one gets into any accidents but rest assured that there will be a very good chance u are denied coverage and dropped because of mods.

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    just dont claim the mods, they will be ok...and if you can convince them that it came like that you get props
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Hate to break it to you, but on the application it states "modified or customized" if you sign it when it's indicated "no" you can be in a world of hurt. Having said that, yes you are right if they don't ask you can claim ignorance. The courts will side with you for sure. And no, not claiming mods in a claim WILL NOT HELP YOU. The issue is the vehicle being modified for speed or performance causing a greater risk of being in a claim, not the increased value of the vehicle, and they can't accurately underwrite that risk.
    2001 Jetta 2.slow

dang...oh well...
    www.Novustech.ca

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    Well if you sign it before its modified then you aren't breaching anything.

Does it say on the application whether or not you can or can't modify the vehicle?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ Actually, you are. That's called non-disclosure. They're insuring the car as you stated, not any other way.

Ric, my point was that if you hide mods and get into an accident the company can (and most likely will) drop ALL your coverage on the spot. That means your car isn't covered, and neither are you. A million dollar lawsuit with no liability insurance would REALLY ruin your day.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

There are a lot of ways you can get around it. I can plea that I'm dumb and I didn't know the car had mods when I bought it. For example my car came with that suspension. You know what I mean??!?! My previous insurance almost dropped me because I told them I had different suspension on the car, it was a hassle to get them to not void my suspension, so I didn't mention anything to my new insurance... well, they didn't ask anyway.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    belair direct only asks "Have any modifications worth more than $5,000 been made to the vehicle?"
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

Member korb is on a distinguished road korb's Avatar
    I pay about $400 bucks a month for my policy but I have a
    2000 Jetta VR6
    1996 Jetta 2.0L
    1991 Golf 1.8L
    House
    My life insurance
    My wife's life insurance

I think its an ok deal the 91 only has fire and theft on it right now. I do agree though that these insurances company's are a bunch of money grabbing leeches and should rot in hell. That said this is really the Ontario governments fault for doing this to us really. Places where they have Government owned insurances like Alberta and I think B.C you pay a bit less. I wish something could be done about it BUT it won't. The worst part of it all is the people who drive without insurance suffer no real penalties. I was hit in a parking lot but a guy who had no insurance I ME had to pay a premium of $300 to fix me car on my FULL coverage account. Then I called the police after to say what was done. The officer actually talked with me and said basically because the guy showed a valid insurance card (The insurance the guy had was canceled shortly after his policy was issued) there was nothing they could due. That is bullshit in my eye's that just shows that our tax dollars are going to pure waste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information