+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Operation Moar Low: My MK4 Air Ride Build

Veteran Member DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    Plugs have the potential to pop out at high speeds.
    6 years working for a tire and wheel shop, i've never before heard this in my life. We used vulcanized rubber plugs that basically melt into the tire after getting warm once. Then cut the remainder off...if I didn't tell you it was plugged, you would never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    in my spare time i like to surround myself with miniature figurines, and pretend that i am a giant. then i steal their livestock and smash their houses so they live in a constant state of fear.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    patches are so much better and usually like 5 bucks more. Plugs have the potential to pop out at high speeds. patch will never leak or cause issues
    Doesn't the tire have to be removed to do a patch job?
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    I'm down with the look and function of bags, but is the compressor not annoyingly loud? Seems like a small single stage compressor to power a decent sized tank and alot of car to lift. I know the single stage oilless compressors you can get for your garage can be super annoying after awhile, cant imagine it in my car.

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    well, honestly im not too sure. in any case, i will have a switch wired in so i can switch off the compressor if i need to.

it'll be under a carpeted false floor as well so that could muffle the noise. in the end if it ends up being annoying and on for a long time, i'll add a second compressor.
    bankrupt.
    SymproCNC.com im for all your machining needs (spacers, center cap spikes etc)

Veteran Member justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future
    nice...can't wait to see it. btw, I heard the ol man from Cheap Thrills passed a few months ago. RIP... he was a great guy. (the original owner)
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 Unitronic Dealer

Veteran Member justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    I'm down with the look and function of bags, but is the compressor not annoyingly loud? ......
    Well I heard .:dom's set up in his GTI, and yes, to me it was loud. But in Undubbed's Jetta it was not as loud. Same system btw.

Jujh, you planning to mount the compressor in the spare tire well? Lukasports Jetta has it in there, and its somewhat quieter....

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    The noise probably has to do with the Golf only have a parcel shelf plus side carpeting in the way (plus whatever else you build), whereas the Jettas have a fully carpeted enclosed area with a steel grate below the rear window deck cover to muffle more of the sound.

Veteran Member euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of
    when i drove that bagged tdi the compressor wasn't loud enough to annoy me. If you have music playing you'd barely hear it.

compressor noise is the least of your worries. Prolly not a worry at all cz its only on for a bit.

Just be sure your lines don't have leaks.

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    Doesn't the tire have to be removed to do a patch job?

Yes

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    Yes
    And that was the reason why I didn't want a patch job on my car. Just the thought of some n00b getting the tire out from my rims and scratching them made the cringe. I remember going into CT first and telling them if they scratched my rim they would have to buy me a new one, they decided not to do it.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of
    Any new progress on this?

Veteran Member stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble's Avatar
    your car is gonna look absolutely crazy on bags. This car looks wicked already.
    1998 GTI VR6
    I got vendettas in dice games against ass betters, and niggaz who pump wheels and drive Jettas.-Jay-Z/Reasonable Doubt
    I gotta thing for them big body Benzes, it dulls my senses, In love with a V-Dub engine.Jay-Z/The Black Album

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    so did alot of work this weekend. don't have any pics unfortunately but i'll get some after.

Did all the wiring to the trunk from the front, installed switchbox and routed wires to trunk. built a shitty subfloor for temporary use. right now im keeping the tank setup the way dymer had it. i will change it up in the winter and hide everything. Ran all the lines. Wired valves. Need to add some ground wires for the compressor circuit and it should be good to go.

Then need to hook all the lines up, test and then if everything is good, i'll install the bags.
    bankrupt.

Looking forward to seeing this all done. I'd love to go the air route.

So wired everything up and everything works. No leaks yet but we'll see once the struts are all hooked up. One of the valves is squeeky so i have to drop some air tool oil in there.

Just need to mount the compressor and install the struts
    bankrupt.

I know yours was probably still mostly assembled wich made it easier for you but, on a scale of noob to pro how difficult was the install?

well, it wasn't that hard. id say medium difficulty. the hardest part for me was running the wires because you pretty much have to have the entire interior apart.
    bankrupt.

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Dubber View Post
    the hardest part for me was running the wires because you pretty much have to have the entire interior apart.
    That's only hard the first time. I've got it down to a couple hours for a whole interior now.

Veteran Member stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble's Avatar
    Looks like a really clean system you got there. Installation must be tricky the first time around though...lol
    1998 GTI VR6
    I got vendettas in dice games against ass betters, and niggaz who pump wheels and drive Jettas.-Jay-Z/Reasonable Doubt
    I gotta thing for them big body Benzes, it dulls my senses, In love with a V-Dub engine.Jay-Z/The Black Album

halfway there.

bankrupt.

I see the easy half is done Can't wait to see it all done.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Need to take sway bar out but its pretty much done. Going try and get my tire plugged tomorrow. I need to roll my front fenders as well.

bankrupt.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    Amazing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Pretty proper, gotta see it in person to fully appreciate it I think. It looks like your tires are holding you up. Is that true? Are you planning on notching it?

boss.

Looks great!

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

thanks guys. feels wierd to drive since the ride is soft and not like my coils. I'd have to get used to it.
    bankrupt.

bagseshopping
    Thank u all for providing valuable information.

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Amazing. I'm so happy you got bags, do you still have the BBS's to go on?
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information