+ Reply to Thread

Thread: water coming out of my exhaust??

Senior Member Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko's Avatar

water coming out of my exhaust??

hey so i've been experiencing pretty big amounts of water flying out of my exhaust. its happened many times now. its not just a drip. its a spray out the back. and when the audi is warmed up it can be quite alarming seeing a crazy amount of steam coming out the back. I thought it may be an exhaust leak but you would definitely hear that when i rev to 4000rpm where i find the water comes out at. here are a couple pics i have taken today when i started it up. my cars been sitting since febraury but still thats alot of water and it happens everyday i start it up and let it warm up. Give me your thoughts. thanks.

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    Unless it has a distinctive coolant type smell, I would just think its just the end product of your gasoline combustion process. Have you tried using one of these - HEET Water Remover since your car was just sitting during the Winter months.

Member idarsot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    Always thought water coming out of exhaust was a good thing, happens with my 1.8T all the time

Senior Member Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko is a jewel in the rough Heiko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazKal View Post
    Unless it has a distinctive coolant type smell, I would just think its just the end product of your gasoline combustion process. Have you tried using one of these - HEET Water Remover since your car was just sitting during the Winter months.

it has no smell and the liquid coming out is clear as water. I've never tried the water remover. Maybe i should. the car is also running on not very much gas. Its on the light. But ya. I'll give that a shot and put some new gas in maybe the water will go away. its just kind of weird never seen that much coming out of an exhaust.

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I can't say anything for S4's (and thus this post is not very useful), but every Nissan that I've ever driven behind always pisses a ton of water from the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    A/C ?!
    wouldn't that have something to do with the coolant system?
    because mine is full and what comes out is definitely water.
    It could easily be from bad gas or something along those lines. cause that gas has been in there for a while now.

Veteran Member brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435's Avatar
    if you had that much water in your gas, i doubt your car would run at all
    a bit of water, when the car is cold is normal (exhaust condensing on the cold exhaust pipe)
    Are you just firing the car up and letting it run to get up to temp?
    id say take it for a 20-30min drive, get it good and hot, and then check again
    Likesgehenntodenrepairshoppenalot... or jetta for short

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    ive always been told by my coworkers at my shop that water dripping [not too sure about spewing like that....] is a good thing. it means ur cat is doing its job and that its completely normal - i also second that nissan comment, and saw it a lot on a few fords the other day driving around....

so don't be worried, unless u start seeing ur coolant levels drop drastically....
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

Veteran Member brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435's Avatar
    if it was coolant you'd smell it in a second
    Likesgehenntodenrepairshoppenalot... or jetta for short

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    S4's do this.

You have 2 - 2 1/5" exhaust pipes all the way up to the engine, that's a lot of area for moisture to build up, and seeing how 2.7t's run pretty hot (due to tight packaging), you will see alot of moisture when the exhaust cools off - this is the same reason you get a lot of white "smoke" on cold days as well. It has nothing to do with coolant, bad fuel, or anything. Water is also a byproduct of combustion.

This is normal.

Also, the A/C on my car seems stronger than most, and drips a TON of water compared to any other car I've ever seen. (Just preempting your next post lol)
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    I hate S4s........nothing is ever easy!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by brendan_435 View Post
    if you had that much water in your gas, i doubt your car would run at all
    a bit of water, when the car is cold is normal (exhaust condensing on the cold exhaust pipe)
    Are you just firing the car up and letting it run to get up to temp?
    id say take it for a 20-30min drive, get it good and hot, and then check again
    I havent been able to drive the S4 since february as my clutch and pressure plate are gone but this friday its going into the shop and afterwards we'll see how much water comes out. I just thought it was a winter kind of thing that the water came out in such a quantity. But if its normal i guess its normal lol. I just never noticed it when I bought the car in November so its all new to me as i wouldn't know exactly what to expect with an S4 :P big change from the old Vr

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Usually, your car will tell you if somethings wrong. Sneezing on a VAG car will set the CEL off!
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

true lol
    so when the S4 was being put on the flatbed and was on angle it was interesting watching all this water poor out of my exhaust lol....

Veteran Member dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion has much to be proud of dubonic possesion's Avatar
    this is why cars that only get short runs, will go through more exhaust systems then cars allowe to run of 25-30 mins , a longer run will allow the condensation created from the engine to dry up whereas short runs will create this water and then it sit in the exhaust pipes and rots them out. this is completely normal.
    Well, excuse me, for having ENORMOUS flaws, that i don't work on !
    www.berlinklassik.ca be there !

ok thats good to hear. Once the cars fixed up i'll be driving regularly and shouldn't see to much water build up.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information