+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MkIV Jetta Interior Removed For Leak Diagnosis

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar

MkIV Jetta Interior Removed For Leak Diagnosis

So, I've been chasing down some water leaks in the Jetta. Basically it came down to outside water getting in, either through leaks in the sunroof drain system, or up through the floor.

I started out with the common problem of blocked "nipples" on the sunroof drain hoses, checked all nipples and all seemed to open fine and be clear of debris. so I started squirting water down the tracks to the 4 drain holes using a 60ml syringe. Water came out of all the nipples, although it seemed to be alot less than I was putting in on the front drivers side one. So I pulled off the nipple and there was no hose connected. Now, the hose is about an inch shorter than it should be IMO and there's a chance it came off as I pulled the nipple out but it may have been partially off or hanging above the nipple in the frame. As I had been squirting water down the track I was seeing some water coming out the bottom of the frame.

So now I know there's drain issues there, the question became where else is it leaking from. So how do you check the hoses and connections???? Take the ENTIRE interior out!!!

So over the last 2 days I have completely gutted the interior of the car. There is nothing left to the interior except the dash/wheel/pedals etc. (note: re-installed drivers seat to go pick up another vehicle) I have a feeling there were numerous incidents in the past where water had gotten in and to be sure there is no mold etc underneath the entire interior is going to be dropped off at a detailing shop for steam cleaning.

Followed DIY instruction off the Tex. They were helpful for the most part but missed a few things, or had some things different. (now, DIY was from a 2001 and mines a 2005) I have to say, I though I'd have alot more problems than I did, or break alot more parts. If nothing else, My car is gonna be SUPER clean when isgoes back together.

As for leaks, I had wet carpets in the driver side front and rear, and the rear passenger side. If the front nipple was out it could have soaked those drivers side ones but dunno if the water could make it over to the other side. I also found some slight leaking where the rear passenger hose connects (pic to follow) and where the front hose adapter connects to the tray.

For the upper leaks I'm going to use some silicone and cover the areas and I think that should cover those. For where the lower hose came out it is put back in, but I think the connection (its just a plastic hose pushed into a rubber connection) is not very tight and could come out again. Maybe some epoxy or silicone in there? ideas?

Now for pics.

Here's what a MkIV Jetta looks like with no interior:

Where the rear driver side leak is (note drop of water at green/white meeting)

2 penny's that were under the under padding, obviously been under there for some time wet

Carpet after first coming out, note the wet spot under the drivers feet

Now there are these rubber gromets all over the floor, I'm guessing they are for draining if water did get in there or something but could water not get back up in from there? Any one that does not look like its well sealed I'm thinking of spraying with some rocker pannel coating or something to seal them all up. Thoughts?

These 2 had water all around them, but it stayed there so if there was a leak I'm guessing it would drain out.

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Since pics, all trunk trim and carpet removed as well.

Veteran Member euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of
    Since I'm at home and on dial-up, I'm just gonna skip the pictures. I'm hoping you have your headliner out. What I want to know, was how hard was it to get the headliner and pillars out? I'd like to rewrap mine someday.

Well, it wasnt super easy, but not impossible. I think putting it back in will be much harder getting it tucked back in all trim + weather strippping. Do you have side curtain airbags? I don't, but apparently that makes it alot harder.

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    Taking the headliner off is easy, Ive taken it apart on a car with and without side curtain, its about the same. Hardest part was the sunroof part, takes some patience

ON TOPIC: How are the sunroof drain lines ran that they leak into the floor?
    24v

Front line runs down the A pillar and instead of diverting out car was going into frame and possibly in car. I'm looking for other causes though like leaks up through floor (gonna take it through an under car wash) or water coming through floor vents from A/C unit or something.

Any other ideas to look for while car is apart I'm all ears.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    Thats crazy

I dont know man, Ive never had to chase water leaks in a car before
    24v

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    But in a house different story

VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    But in a house different story

aslkdfklasdjfklasdjfklasdjfklasjdfklasdfasldf
    asdklfasjdfklasjdfklasjdklfasdfjkl

ZING
    24v

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    lol
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Update:

Found the front drivers side drain hose was likely disconnected ( at least partially) from the rubber gromet/nipple and leaking water down into frame, not sure how much of that though would make it back in car. Also minor leaks where on ehos connects to the roof, and 2 of the pieces of the front tray. Cars interior still gutted but took the car through a carwash yesterday, including and under car spray and nothing showing. Gonna use some silicone and seal up all the spots I've found so far, as well as those gromets on the floor.

I've also tried running the A/C on full to see if the condensor was leaking inside but did not see anything. I did find that the back corner of the cover for the pollen filter was not on properly but still dont see much water being able to get in there (filter still in place blocking) and the drains around that area were clear.

Member Rathi is on a distinguished road
    I had the same problem in my Jetta. Luckily it was just the hose. As for the rear, did you check the seals on the doors? I don't know if it's a big issue on MK4s, but on my old MK2, I had a leak in the driver's door and had to take the door panel off and reseal the plastic underneath.

Havnt found any seal leaks yet. Been spraying the car with the hose and nothing coming in there.

Junior Member VR6iix will become famous soon enough VR6iix's Avatar
    Ouch, this looks painful lmao.

Jack up the car and spray the shit out of it

or

Spray the shit of the rain-try and see if things are coming in that way
    24v

Sprayed ALL over the rain tray from all angles yesterday, shooting it right down the windsheild looking for bad seals etc, got nothing. Then took it to Sunnoco to the touchless wash where they have the high powered undercar spray, again nothing. I'm gonna silicone up all the hose connections at the roof tray and the floor seals and go from there, gotta start getting the car back together.

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    wow looks like a pain in the ass!

like you said, at least your car will be clean as a whistle after this!
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    You're sure it all this isn't because you forgot the sunroof opened??

2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    You're sure it all this isn't because you forgot the sunroof opened??

asdkfjlasdjfaskldjfasdklfj
    24v

ya, not this time, did that in my golf a couple times though.

Good luck man, used cars can be a pain

I had to go through my fair share of issues,

Wheel bearings, ESP issues, replaced clockspring

Not to mention regular maintenance stuff
    24v

I know you hosed it down, but maybe go through a car wash? *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Rathi View Post
    I know you hosed it down, but maybe go through a car wash? *shrug*
    Already did \/ \/ \/

Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    Then took it to Sunnoco to the touchless wash where they have the high powered undercar spray, again nothing.

Ah touché.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information